• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new mufflers do not fit

Well i'm not an expert on this subject i'm just echoing what i've seen on tv.
Seems like those rules mainly affect newer cars and we have more options / freedom with classic cars.

But don't you still have to get TÜV approval "Eintragung" if you modify your exhaust system on a classic car?

they do catch modifications on modern cars easier.

On vintage cars they usally have a lack of knowledge.
But of course there is a bunch of stuff that is easy to find. Wheels/tire combinations as well as the loudness of exhaust in example.

Before you made ther §21 inspection you had to get a "Datenblatt" with details on the exhaust noise from the factory. But that includes often mistakes. You can discuss that previously before the first time approval and try to get better solutions. But it meant BEFORE not afterwards.

Despite that you don't modify the exhaust you put original mufflers under it. So there should be no problem with the noise as it wasn't quiter before IMHO.

A so called "Eintragung" later on is a PITA.

Carsten

Last edited:
Michael, the rules in Germany as you know are like nowhere else in the world. Frankly, they are ridiculous. As an example, my friend has a 68 Coronet R/T. It has had some modification to it, but not extreme. Upgraded ignition, borgeson steering box, aftermarket steering wheel etc. He removed his factory thumbwheel radio and installed a replica that had modern electronics. Because of this, he nearly lost his 'H' plate and had to beg the TÜV not to take that status away and call the car modern. In the States (Texas anyway) you have to pass inspection every year to get your registration. It is a lot more relaxed there. Germany has rules upon other rules. Having said that, if you are not modifying your exhaust and going with factory original (albeit repros) you should be absolutely fine with TÜV. For you other readers, TÜV is the same as inspection, except they have no idea about American classics and a 10" inch thick rule book they follow.

If you think german guidelines for TÜV are strange you haven't been to the MFK in switzerland.

Makes the TÜV look like an easy carnival event

Carsten

In the US, if your Toyota has a loud muffler, you get a ticket, if your motorcycle has no muffler, you get a thumbs up. I really enjoy it when I've been watching a movie for two hours on TV and then the last 30 seconds some idiot drives by with no muffler, or if you're talking to a neighbor, you have to pause the conversation while the idiot drives by. ... and that's how we get laws like Germany has. It goes from one extreme to the other because some people can't respect their neighbors

Does someone have a "direct connection" to ecs-exhaust.com ?
I sent them 2 emails, first on 10/06, last 10/10 and got no response so far.
It's mainly regarding shipping to germany which they might not offer but it would at least be great to get a response...

Your best bet is to find shippers of freight to Germany. I know they exist as I send packages to addresses in the US that are obviously bundling for shipping to Europe or Asia. Find your own shipper by looking in Germany and with their US address, you can buy whatever you want and have it shipped to them. Somebody here would probably receive them, make marks for reassembly, and cut them to a size that is easily shipped via USPS.
If you can do that much welding and get away with it, that could be an option.

Your best bet is to find shippers of freight to Germany. I know they exist as I send packages to addresses in the US that are obviously bundling for shipping to Europe or Asia. Find your own shipper by looking in Germany and with their US address, you can buy whatever you want and have it shipped to them. Somebody here would probably receive them, make marks for reassembly, and cut them to a size that is easily shipped via USPS.
If you can do that much welding and get away with it, that could be an option.

I did that before and that's an option. But freight forwarding by air will cost to much and sea will take half a year.
So i will go with a shared ship container if need be but if ecs exhaust could ship directly to germany that would be faster than sea and cheaper than air forwarding.
If they don't ship to germany i will go with the shared container. But so far they didn't say anything / answer my mails...

I did that before and that's an option. But freight forwarding by air will cost to much and sea will take half a year.
So i will go with a shared ship container if need be but if ecs exhaust could ship directly to germany that would be faster than sea and cheaper than air forwarding.
If they don't ship to germany i will go with the shared container. But so far they didn't say anything / answer my mails...
They could be looking for a way to ship. I would, you certainly aren't the only person in Europe that needs pipes, I would find out if I could do it and if I could, work to expand my market. That, or they hate to say no.

Hopefully you get what you need shipped, but my last correspondence with Tom at ECS was they'd even stopped shipping to Canada, as FEDex had become a PITA and I needed someone in the USA willing to take shipment and forward. Now that ECS sold off the exhaust division to another, I have no idea but will probably find out soon as my Bird needs a new system.

Turns out he already answered but the email did not go through. Well yes shipping to germany isn't possible so i will have to use a freight forwarding service, pay even more and wait forever unfortunately. :D
Well but i can't accept a non stock exhaust on this nice original car so i have to bite the bullet.

Turns out he already answered but the email did not go through. Well yes shipping to germany isn't possible so i will have to use a freight forwarding service, pay even more and wait forever unfortunately. :D
Well but i can't accept a non stock exhaust on this nice original car so i have to bite the bullet.
But you accepted the exhaust that was on there until now...which was non-original.
Your money, your choice.

Years ago I sent a complete floor tunnel, console area cut out, shifter and all linkage to Belgium via UPS.
Possibly you could check with National Moparts in Beaverton Ontario. They will ship to Europe. I have dealt with Nigel since 1989. You can also pm me If you wish.

I'm betting it's easier to ship to Europe from Canada than it is the US

Last edited:
But you accepted the exhaust that was on there until now...which was non-original.
Your money, your choice.

Because i didn't know. I never really looked close at it and just assumed it's original.

How about TTI for exhaust? I have seen their stuff and they are spot on.

My father was born in East Prussia and grandfather and grandmother brought him and part if their family here to the US around 1903.

Not sure how many but some of my Dad's family stayed in the old country and never saw their parents again.

My brother has made many trips to Germany back in the 1980's... buying cars to export to the US and modifying them to US emission and safety standards. So called Grey Market cars.

That all ended in the 90's.

I used to transport vintage cars for my brother and his business partner who was the largest collector of 300SL cars in the world at that time.

I believe he owned 18 roadsters and well over 20 coupes including serial number 2 and 4 ( or 3 and 5...dont recall).

But he only owned one battery...I would have to switch batteries between his cars so he could drive one to lunch on occasion...typical car collector! Million dollar cars...one good battery!

I transported his 1937 500 SSK roadster to a couple shows. A $3,000,000 car at the time.

I hope you get this exhaust deal straightened out ..good luck. See

I meanwhile bought the ECS Exhaust and it will approximately arrive between January-February next year. :D
I already have the mufflers and i think the car deserves it. If it wasn't so original i would have just ordered 2 cheap new mufflers with the right dimensions.

Does someone have a "direct connection" to ecs-exhaust.com ?
I sent them 2 emails, first on 10/06, last 10/10 and got no response so far.
It's mainly regarding shipping to germany which they might not offer but it would at least be great to get a response...
Do these guys offer a shipping service if you buy the parts yourself, or do you have to buy the parts through them?

1697777618966.png

Do these guys offer a shipping service if you buy the parts yourself, or do you have to buy the parts through them?

View attachment 1542940

I'm pretty sure @fc7_plumcrazy knows the answer to this question. :)

I GUESS you would have to order the parts through them and i'm not sure if this brand/products would qualify for purchasing through them.
I ordered parts from moparshop.com in the past but only stuff from their online store. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back