• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new mufflers do not fit

Your exhaust is a cobbled up mess. See the hangar? That is the clamp for the tailpipe to muffler also. The muffler should be in that hanger where it is now. The mufflers you had on there are way to short, and the tailpipes go to far forward because of it. The correct muffler you now have will never hook to those tailpipes.

View attachment 1534876

Yes i already noticed that myself.
Do you think they also bent the tailpipe somewhat towards the muffler? (So it's closer to the muffler)

I mean i first have to take another look at the car in person but i already tend strongly towards buying all new pipes, clamps and hangars.
Basically everything except the mufflers and exhaust manifolds. (Which i already have) :D

Are you guys still just following orders?

We have rules too, but they are designed to be bent or tweaked.
Germany is a police state. Ask me how I know? :soapbox: You can't do anything in this country without an appointment, a piece of paper and a stamp. It's 50 years behind the rest of the world. @Michael_ you know what I mean lol.

You getting ready for when you come home. :D

Lucky you only have vehicle inspections every two years......that 6-monthly deal here just flies by.
Yes true that. But believe me, its bad here. Try getting your drivers licence converted in Germany. WTF.

California is heading that way.
You used 500 plastic shopping bags last month, oh that ok.
You drove your gasoline powered vehicle 5.6 miles last month? You owe us xxxx,$$$$

Today we looked at the car once again and came to the conclusion that with the right pipes and hangers the mufflers should fit.
So i'm looking to buy exhaust parts TODAY.

I already have the correct mufflers and exhaust manifolds.
Before i place an order can someone confirm
A: there is nothing missing in the following list of parts im looking to buy
B: these are the correct parts for a 1969 dodge charger r/t 440/727
?

2x 1966-70 Mopar: B-Body Muffler Hanger (Multiple Options!)
2x 1966-71 Mopar: Saddle Clamp (2.25")
2x 1966-71 Mopar: Exhaust Flange Gasket (2.50")
1x 1968-69 B-Body (w/ 440 CID Engine) H-Pipes
1x 1968-70 B-Body Tail Pipes (for Chrome Tips) (They are sold as a pair, right?)

Could that possibly be the problem?

Also i'm thinking about buying new pipes instead of modifying the old ones.
These should be the correct ones for my car, right?
[/URL]
[/URL]
Also these come as complete set / i do not have to buy 2 like with the mufflers right?

My thinking is in case i buy these pipes i would have a 100% stock exhaust system (i have the original exhaust manifolds installed).
So in this case there would be no way that it doesn't fit right?
Those mufflers, H-Pipe, and tail pipes w/chrome tips and proper hangers were what went on my '69 Bee and fit just fine (33 years ago, damn I'm old now). They do fit close to the floorpans, and if installed improperly, can bang on the floor at times.

When I put mufflers on my H-pipe and tighten clamps I don't really crush connection. Crush a little then loosen muffler clamp and drill a hole for a small sheet metal screw. Put the screw in and move muffler clamp to cover screw. If you need to remove H-pipe in the future it will save you time.

Last edited:
You have to get the car inspected every 2 years or so. During that inspection they also look under the car.
But i agree most will probably have no idea what they're looking at.
In big cities like Hamburg the police is pretty agressiv though from what i've heard. If they think your car is too loud they end your trip and tow the car to their inspection site.
The exhaust from my 72 cutlass is not stock and i've been driving it around 10 years with no problem. If you know the right people you will also pass TÜV with a rusted frame. (While at the same time a regular guy without contacts will get his historical plate revoked for a little bit of rust on the front fender.)

At the end of the day i want to keep the car stock and so why risk getting my car towed away?
Michael your charger won't get towed anywhere if it isn't louder than allowed to.

Check your Fahrzeugschein and you will know how loud it is allowed to be.
Install the mufflers you got as they are correct. No trouble to expect from that side considering the noise.

If it doesn't fit: Try to adjust it and get it working. The exhaust system is not rocket science and your Charger not on a OEM judging

Carsten

Last edited:
Michael your charger won't get towed anywhere if it isn't louder than allowed to.

Check your Fahrzeugschein and you will know how loud it is allowed to be.
Install the mufflers you got as they are correct. No trouble to expect from that side considering the noise.

If it doesn't fit: Try to adjust it and get it working. The exhaust system is not rocket science and your Charger not on a OEM judging

Carsten

Well i'm not an expert on this subject i'm just echoing what i've seen on tv.
Seems like those rules mainly affect newer cars and we have more options / freedom with classic cars.

But don't you still have to get TÜV approval "Eintragung" if you modify your exhaust system on a classic car?

I'm watching you. :poke:

:p
1696824438506.png

Michael, the rules in Germany as you know are like nowhere else in the world. Frankly, they are ridiculous. As an example, my friend has a 68 Coronet R/T. It has had some modification to it, but not extreme. Upgraded ignition, borgeson steering box, aftermarket steering wheel etc. He removed his factory thumbwheel radio and installed a replica that had modern electronics. Because of this, he nearly lost his 'H' plate and had to beg the TÜV not to take that status away and call the car modern. In the States (Texas anyway) you have to pass inspection every year to get your registration. It is a lot more relaxed there. Germany has rules upon other rules. Having said that, if you are not modifying your exhaust and going with factory original (albeit repros) you should be absolutely fine with TÜV. For you other readers, TÜV is the same as inspection, except they have no idea about American classics and a 10" inch thick rule book they follow.

I always took my to the local AA and they were fairly decent, but you know how some people are..........power hungry :p

So you’re saying that boomerang pipe on the drivers side is 100% correct along with the muffler being crooked as a dogs hind leg? None of my 4 440-6 4 gear 69 bee’s ever looked like that. The mufflers were almost straight in-line with the body. My 69 383 4 gear car was also parallel with the body. Kim

Michael, the rules in Germany as you know are like nowhere else in the world. Frankly, they are ridiculous. As an example, my friend has a 68 Coronet R/T. It has had some modification to it, but not extreme. Upgraded ignition, borgeson steering box, aftermarket steering wheel etc. He removed his factory thumbwheel radio and installed a replica that had modern electronics. Because of this, he nearly lost his 'H' plate and had to beg the TÜV not to take that status away and call the car modern. In the States (Texas anyway) you have to pass inspection every year to get your registration. It is a lot more relaxed there. Germany has rules upon other rules. Having said that, if you are not modifying your exhaust and going with factory original (albeit repros) you should be absolutely fine with TÜV. For you other readers, TÜV is the same as inspection, except they have no idea about American classics and a 10" inch thick rule book they follow.

Well i could complain all day about things i hate in germany that are better in the united states.
- Too many rules
- Too many things your not allowed to do
- Too much bureaucracy
- Politics
- Taxes
- Mindset of most people
- Most stuff is more expensive than in the united states while people do not earn more (On average)
- Can't even go to a grocery store at night or on sundays
- In my town not even Mc Donalds is open 24/7 (wasn't always that way)
- While we have some good food, most sucks compared to the united states
-- Some popular dishes like Buffalo Wings (or the boneless variant), Lobster Rolls or General Tso's Chicken do not exist in germany
-- German raised cattle / beef SUCKS even if it's something fancy like wagyu but raised in germany
-- You pretty much can't get USDA Choice or Prime beef and if you do it costs like 60$ for a 11oz filet steak (choice, raw meat)
- I could go on...

TÜV IMHO is only there to generate money (also for the shops) and to make life miserable for car owners.

But i've talked to a couple older guys over the years and apparently it wasn't always that bad.
It's getting progressively worse and most people (including myself) think that we are doomed if nothing changes soon.
Next up they want to legalise cannabis and let 16 year old kids (on drugs) vote (with prior manipulation at school).
I can't see a problem here, do you? :D

But i see the problems / damage the biden administration has done to the united states aswell.
I really hope that trump wins again next time and it's not to late to "make america great again".

I do not have much hope for germany but on the other hand we just had elections here in bavaria
and lots of people voted for conservative partys instead of voting for the green idiots again. (Though a lot also still voted green)
But they will probably forget fast and go back to voting for this disastrous party again at the next election.
Voting for "Die Grünen" is like voting to loose your job, against cars and everything becoming more expensive,
ultimatively very cheap because they destroyed our economy.
I don't know why but that obviously sounds tempting to a lot of people around here. :D

Auto Transport Service
Back