• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My reverse shift rod has left the conversation...

PeteyDaMan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:11 PM
Reaction score
I took The Beast out for a drive on this sunny spring day. Shifting out of first and into second under moderate acceleration I feel a pop in the shifter followed by the sound of something dragging on the road. I immediately slow down and pull to the shoulder and the car hops a bit and I come to a stop. I take a look under the car and find my reverse shift rod laying on the ground. Looks like the cotter pin fell out on the transmission side, I dragged it for a bit until I hit the soft ground of the shoulder where it immediately dug in and snapped the end of the rod off, bending the reverse shift lever on the way out.

Guess there's a call to Brewers in my very near future....

20240414_164249.jpg

20240414_164252.jpg

20240414_164254.jpg

I took The Beast out for a drive on this sunny spring day. Shifting out of first and into second under moderate acceleration I feel a pop in the shifter followed by the sound of something dragging on the road. I immediately slow down and pull to the shoulder and the car hops a bit and I come to a stop. I take a look under the car and find my reverse shift rod laying on the ground. Looks like the cotter pin fell out on the transmission side, I dragged it for a bit until I hit the soft ground of the shoulder where it immediately dug in and snapped the end of the rod off, bending the reverse shift lever on the way out.

Guess there's a call to Brewers in my very near future....

View attachment 1646546

View attachment 1646547

View attachment 1646548
Did you have all the correct washers and sprig clips in place beforehand?

Or were you just running a regular cotter pin ?

Did you have all the correct washers and sprig clips in place beforehand?

Or were you just running a regular cotter pin ?
I had the correct washers and spring clips. This is a fairly new build using a kit from Brewers that came with everything so it was together with the correct hardware......although I guess the spring clip wasn't seated all the way otherwise it wouldn't have fallen out.

Weld a 1/4 inch bolt onto it and drill a hole in it for a cotter pin. It will get you by until the new piece can be sourced.

Here's hoping there's no damage to anything else as a result of that "pogo-ing".

Hurst stuff is made of Chinesium. Ain't what they used to be other than high price.

Cotter pins are soft, wouldn't use them on shifting rods. The clips are hardened.

You're lucky it was just a
shift rod.
Had a one ton dually in
front of me on I-25 in Albq.
lose a front u-joint. The
*** end of the truck rose
6 feet into the air when the
front yoke dug in. It was
pretty violent.

I've had the shifter rod fall out twice in the 50 years I've owned my 71 Challenger. The first time was in 1973 after having a transmission shop do some work on it. It bent the rod when I pulled over to the side of the road and it hit a crack. I was able to straighten it out with no damage done. The second time was about 6 years ago when i was going on a highway about 50mph. Same rod and I pulled over carefully to avoid it hitting a crack and bending. Called a friend and he was there in about 20 minutes with a jack and a cotter pin. Back on the road. I replaced the cotter pin with a clip when I got home.
Terry W.

Auto Transport Service
Back