• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Part???

DualQuad440

Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
I have a 71 727 trans and I believe it has some sort of trans brake on it but can not find what brand for replacement parts. There is a block mounted externally on the passenger side with a 2 wire solenoid on top. Haven't traced the lines yet but they definitely go to the trans ports (just can't say which ones). One wire to ground, one power wire to a button on my shifter. This is a fairly old build, my guess 20 years. The closest thing I can find online is a TCI line lock PN 861200. The solenoid has failed so I am looking to replace it. I haven't dropped the pan so I'm not sure what's going on in the valve body but I do know the trans itself functions normally. All gears work smoothly, forward and reverse. Is this an older style trans brake? Old drag racing setup? Any help is much appreciated. Can get pics if needed.

If it does have a trans brake it should be a manual valve body. At least all mine were and as I recall all the ones I have seen advertised were.

That's what I've read so far. Haven't dropped the pan yet. But I'm trying to figure out why there would be a line lock going to a transmission port.

Take a picture of your solenoid. It sounds like transZact of indy. He is no longer in business as far as I know. He also built them for tci. He had a reverse manual transbrake valve body that reverse worked without activating a solenoid. We had one that we never used. It's suppose to have a pretty slow release compared to the probrake. If it is one of his it has a reverse manual valvebody and the solenoid activates the transbrake and is not attached to the valve body. It wasn't a real good set up.

Last edited:
That's what I've read so far. Haven't dropped the pan yet. But I'm trying to figure out why there would be a line lock going to a transmission port.
You said it functions normally. So does it shift on its own or do you manually shift it? Is this block in a cooling line? If so some temperature gauge set ups used a block with a sending unit. Pictures would help.

Hard to see while still installed on the car but definitely connected to ports 1 and 2.

Screenshot_20240417_133040_Google.jpg

20240417_132449.jpg

20240417_132204.jpg

20240417_132142.jpg

You said it functions normally. So does it shift on its own or do you manually shift it? Is this block in a cooling line? If so some temperature gauge set ups used a block with a sending unit. Pictures would help.
Drives normally without manually shifting. Just like any other car in Drive. Not connected to cooler lines.

Take a picture of your solenoid. It sounds like transZact of indy. He is no longer in business as far as I know. He also built them for tci. He had a reverse manual transbrake valve body that reverse worked without activating a solenoid. We had one that we never used. It's suppose to have a pretty slow release compared to the probrake. If it is one of his it has a reverse manual valvebody and the solenoid activates the transbrake and is not attached to the valve body. It wasn't a real good set up.
Not a drag car so I'm not worried about release times. Just a big toy to scare the mustangs.

I have a 71 727 trans and I believe it has some sort of trans brake on it but can not find what brand for replacement parts. There is a block mounted externally on the passenger side with a 2 wire solenoid on top. Haven't traced the lines yet but they definitely go to the trans ports (just can't say which ones). One wire to ground, one power wire to a button on my shifter. This is a fairly old build, my guess 20 years. The closest thing I can find online is a TCI line lock PN 861200. The solenoid has failed so I am looking to replace it. I haven't dropped the pan so I'm not sure what's going on in the valve body but I do know the trans itself functions normally. All gears work smoothly, forward and reverse. Is this an older style trans brake? Old drag racing setup? Any help is much appreciated. Can get pics if needed.
Pics please

I never heard of a brake that you can run in drive and still shifts and a forward pattern??
I wonder if the original valve body has been replaced because that looks like it is from Joe Chrisman whose company was TranZact of indy. He has been out of business for a while. He is the only one I know that ran copper tubing to a external solenoid, but his valve body was reverse manual as far as I knew(ours was). I don't think anyone makes this solenoid as a direct replacement. The solenoid doesnt look to be anything special though?
The TransZact of indy that used the copper tubing and external solenoid was also the only transbrake I know of that allowed the use of reverse wo powering the transbrake. He sold it with a reverse pattern manual valve body. The customer was suppose to bend the tubing to fit..and the instructions were poor.

Last edited:
I never heard of a brake that you can run in drive and still shifts??
I wonder if the original valve body has been replaced because that looks like it is from Joe Chrisman whose company was TranZact of indy. He has been out of business for a while. He is the only one I know that ran copper tubing to a external solenoid, but his valce body was reverse manual as far as I knew. I don't think anyone makes this solenoid as a direct replacement. Sure looks to be nothing special?
The TransZact of indy that ised the copper tubing and external solenoid was also the only transbrake I know of that allowed the use of reverse wo powering the transbrake.
Turbo action allowed reverse on all my 727 transmissions. My Coan glide you had to activate the solenoid to back up. But like you said the valve body may of been changed because it must be automatic shift according to the poster. All the ones I have had were manual shift. Question to the poster is what makes you think the solenoid is bad?

Good to know someone else had reverse wo engaging the brake. We have never ran a turbo action brake. Still running a cheetah reverse manual and a j convertor from Turbo action.

Last edited:
Many many thanks to all the responses and information. Based on what's been posted and what I've read I believe the valve body has to have been converted back to an original style. It definitely has a forward shift pattern. Put it in drive and go, no manual shifting or pushing of a button. I'm out of town for the weekend but I plan to drop the pan when I get back and will post pictures of the valve body.

I have power and ground at the solenoid and there's no click or thud. Long story short, this car is a rescue. Went through hurricane Harvey in 2017, then sat for 4 years. Spark plugs had been pulled, oil was drained. Motor was frozen. Water in the carbs. Half the guages didn't work. Half the lights didn't work. All the speakers rusted solid. I've worked out every bug except the fender mounted turn signals and the transbrake. The MSD 7A box still works! It has been a fun and frustrating project but she will live. The body is solid. All the glass and chrome are in great shape. Just want to get it fully functional before I start paint and body work.

Many many thanks to all the responses and information. Based on what's been posted and what I've read I believe the valve body has to have been converted back to an original style. It definitely has a forward shift pattern. Put it in drive and go, no manual shifting or pushing of a button. I'm out of town for the weekend but I plan to drop the pan when I get back and will post pictures of the valve body.

I have power and ground at the solenoid and there's no click or thud. Long story short, this car is a rescue. Went through hurricane Harvey in 2017, then sat for 4 years. Spark plugs had been pulled, oil was drained. Motor was frozen. Water in the carbs. Half the guages didn't work. Half the lights didn't work. All the speakers rusted solid. I've worked out every bug except the fender mounted turn signals and the transbrake. The MSD 7A box still works! It has been a fun and frustrating project but she will live. The body is solid. All the glass and chrome are in great shape. Just want to get it fully functional before I start paint and body work.
Glad you rescued her

Auto Transport Service
Back