• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a "How too" install for Electronic Ignition On 1971 318 Satellite

Plymouth71

Waterslide Decal Artist
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a Diagram to help me install an Orange Box (P4120505 ignition module) and Electronic Distributor. I received them in a parts swap, so I don't know where a couple wires hook up. Anyone able to help?

Thank you in advance

dist.jpg

“Yellow wire from the starter relay”, on ’71 b-body? No, the brown ignition2 starter by-pass is already present at the ballast resistor.

That diagram is valid for late 70s Mopars where the ballast bypass came out from starter relay, not anymore from ign switch

Nd9GcSJ4k-n_YbNQbvLLoE_eEHueK5WF703zrgqag&usqp=CAU.jpg

Dedicated to somebody around who is disagreeing every post I make. Here you can read clearly BAL on the prong to feed the BALLAST. That's the case where that diagram is valid.
As far I recall, wired like this since 77 or so.

products-dscf5137.jpg

Otherwise, getting the harness for the upgrade as pictured, it will need just to tap/splice the blue wire with yellow trace anywhere into the ING1 (RUN) circuit blue wire, either at reg wire, ballast wire or even at the blue wire running to the alt field. Rest of wires are pretty much straight up since they get the terminals and plugs to complete the rest of ign system. Not other splice needed.

On that harness you get also a green wire with red trace. Unused on 4 pins ECUs, matched to single ballast resistor, just tape it down the rest of harness tape. That wire is just needed with 5 pins modules what will need to be matched with dual ballast resistor.

Last edited:
Ok, I think it's all hooked up correctly. Turns over but not catching. Tried to position everything the same as the old dist. I hope to have a friend over tomorrow to assist in adjustment to get it running so we can set the timing.

IMG_20220818_230354762.jpg

Is there a way to test the ignition box? I bought it secondhand, but I don't think it's ever been used, same with the Distributor.

Ok, I think it's all hooked up correctly. Turns over but not catching. Tried to position everything the same as the old dist. I hope to have a friend over tomorrow to assist in adjustment to get it running so we can set the timing.

View attachment 1330504

The ignition box needs to be grounded, or it won't work just sitting there not attached to the firewall. I run an extra ground wire from the ECU bolt to the back of the cylinder head too.

Sorry, I had it fully attached and grounded before trying to start it. I just wanted to take a picture before my phone battery died.

Auto Transport Service
Back