• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on how to correct my driveline angle. 69charger with keisler kit

I had factory exhaust manifolds and 3" pipes when I put my Keisler conversion kit in several years ago - 70 440+6 'runner. I decided to go with headers. I tried Heddmans but they hit the torsion bar on the driver side. Hookers fit better. I cut off the downpipes and connected the headers to the old pipes using standard connectors. They don't hang any lower than they did before.

With the understanding that I am not talking about ANY specific conversion kit or speed product, I will throw in some input. You haven't mentioned what your driveline angles are. Regardless of what exhaust you have, the engine and trans need to be at a paticular angle. From this position, you can then set up your pinion angle. If these angles are not correct you will get a driveline vibration. Having said that, the headers would seem to be an indicator that your engine and trans angle is wrong.

Are you using stock engine mounts? Did the trans bolt up to the new crossmember and supplied mount without issue? I haven't seen this problem with a B body install, but it's apparently not impossible. I will say that the problem isn't with the headers.

Well There is something hangin you up? did you get a new rubber mount with the kit?? is the tranny hitting the tunnel??? I know when I did mine I think i took out the tranny 25 times to get it right in the tunnel. these conversions are not plug and play but close.
How about a pic from the inside the car to see where the shifter is sitting? and the rear rubber mount??? you might have to shim the mount to get the hight you need to get more clearance on the steering arm.

Attachments

• IMGP1766 (Small).JPG
    IMGP1766 (Small).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMGP1765 (Small).JPG
    IMGP1765 (Small).JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 215
Are you using stock engine mounts? Did the trans bolt up to the new crossmember and supplied mount without issue? I haven't seen this problem with a B body install, but it's apparently not impossible. I will say that the problem isn't with the headers.

Yes stock engine mounts. Trans bolted up fine to the crossmember. I have it shimmed up using some shims provided from keisler. The tranny is curently up as high as it will go. I have clearanced and cut the tunnel as needed to get it up this high.

Well There is something hangin you up? did you get a new rubber mount with the kit?? is the tranny hitting the tunnel??? I know when I did mine I think i took out the tranny 25 times to get it right in the tunnel. these conversions are not plug and play but close.
How about a pic from the inside the car to see where the shifter is sitting? and the rear rubber mount??? you might have to shim the mount to get the hight you need to get more clearance on the steering arm.

Shifter is where it belongs. There is a notch on the rear of the tranny that I am sure you are familiar with. That notch is centered with the torsion bar crossmember just like it should be. I have already used shims to get the tranny up. It will not go any more without heavy modification to the car.

It will not go any more without heavy modification to the car. WOW???? you got me???? how about some more GOOD pics? Is it hung up on the bell housing??? It doesnt make sense to me why it should hang down so low???

What are your actual angles? Do you have a Direct Connection Chassis Manual? Find one, review the section on driveline angles. (I would scan it and post it for you, my scanner isn't cooperating). I believe A bodies require mods to the torsion bar crossmember area, but I haven't seen it on a B.

It will not go any more without heavy modification to the car. WOW???? you got me???? how about some more GOOD pics? Is it hung up on the bell housing??? It doesnt make sense to me why it should hang down so low???

This any better?

0462bf81.jpg

I put a 600 in my 68 Charger. I lowered the front about 2" which caused a bad angle. Had to put some axle shims in the rear, and it corrected everything! It will lower your rear down also.

I agree with 696pack's statement. I to have bought aftermarket name brand parts through the years only to find some don't fit or require modifications. And when you finally get through to their "tech" support they act like your the first person to call with this problem and can't help you.

Just pulled the tranny out. Time to start cutting. I will post pictures of the process. I am going to make this thing fit correctly.

made some progress today.

First cut to add clearance for rear of transmission. However this alone is not enough to get the tranny up any more. I will need to trim the crossmember.
65073502.jpg

Here i have cut the center of the crossmember and moved it up approx 1 1/2"
I am going to reinforce this and weld it up.
c8c4149d.jpg

Other side
[IM
030bf7a7.jpg

Here is the view from inside the car. Sorry bout the crappy iphone pics.

[IM
f7b8f1e0.jpg

Now I need to fab up some spacers for the tranny mount..... or maybe see if keisler will send me more, and then start to fab up the new tranny tunnel. I am not looking forward to that.

Notice how the headers are now parallel with the body of the car and not pointed down like they were before? This is how they are supposed to fit.

0d1a5afe.jpg

3f98818e.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back