• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need advice on how to get the pits and a good shine of chrome trim

Pa's Sat

Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
My Satellite is headed to the body shop to get finished (body work and paint) and now to the chrome. It was exposed outside for years and has some small pits in it. I can get a shine on it but it has small pits and would look so much better it they could be filled in. What is some way to do that? I have not tried anything yet so am sure someone has done it and can save me a lot of time and effort. Thanks ahead of time.

There really isn't much true chrome on a 66.
Much of the trim is either stainless or anodized aluminum.
The drip rail molding, window molding and wheel lip molding is stainless.
Almost everything else is anodized aluminum except the sail panel emblem (roof line to rear quarter behind the rear window).
Bumpers are of course chrome a buffer is about all you can do on the Chrome and stainless.
If it doesn't come out nicely enough then consider rechroming.

The bumpers both had small bends in them and cracked chrome so sent them off and got them straightened out and rechromed. Turned out very good. Thanks for the info on the rest of trim.

IOf you are talking about the Chrome Bezels for the Tail Lights, they are Pot Metal and quite difficult to get this pits out short of an expensive fill by a shop that will do Pot Metal I migh have some very good Bezels in my parts stash but give me a day to go look. Any other 66 parts you might need, I have a whole bunch including rubber, and such as well as small and larger parts. Let me know and I will look to see about my Bezels...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

I have had good luck soaking in CLR and hot water if you have to scrub use the finest scotchbrite pad you can find, then buff with machine

Auto Transport Service
Back