• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need advice on verification of a super bee

coronet66

Local time
9:09 PM
Reaction score
I just bought a 69 super bee the vin # on the dash and fender tag are the same but the #s on the rad support are different and the one that's suppose to be on the rear quater isn't there. What's the chance this isn't a super bee? The reason i'm asking is the car should be fire bronze and it's red. the interior should be tan and it's black. I do find a couple of places where the bronze paint is, like hood hinges, trunk hinges and inner front fender showing under the red paint. would some one replace the whole intrior to black just because they don't like tan? just tryin to get a feel if it's legit or not don't know enough about it yet. Oh the motor trans and rear don't match.

In 68 the rad support number didn't match the VIN because it was the sales order number, but I have no idea exactly when they made the switch to put the VIN on the rad support. Most 69's I've seen have the VIN. Just in case check the rad support number against the sales order number on the fender tag and see if it matches. A Super Bee is the Dodge version of a Road Runner so the second digit in the VIN should read M for medium price class, but that's an easy fix if someone had a Bee dash with a VIN and fender tag lying around. A lot can happen to a car in 40 yrs. Any evidence of rad support replacement or other repairs?

All 1969 model year cars use the partial V.I.N. on the rad support and the trunk lip (generally onthe driver's side.)

It could be that the car had a replaced rad. support with used parts from collision damage. Some times the trunk lip did not get stamped or it could have been replaced also with factory new piece that would not have a number.

The sad part is that the rebody police will be all over your case with what you are saying here and will overlook the fact that you are finding original color under the red as they like to dwell on the negative.

Not uncommon at all to see a brown car with a brown interior painted resale red and have the interior switched.

Auto Transport Service
Back