• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advise, Tips & Tricks For Doing A Power Window Conversion On A 70 RR Convertible

soundhd

Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
Getting ready to do a power window conversion on my 70 RR convertible. Going to use a 4 window kit from NuRelics. Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice, tips, tricks, etc....on how to change out the regulators which is basically what the conversion is besides running the wiring and installing switches. Going to install the 4 switch panel in the console (no switches on the doors or rear quarter panels) and installing a Painless 7 circuit aux. fuse panel to handle the extra electrical load for the windows and other "stuph" I plan on adding later, (stereo system, a Dakota Digital Rally Gauge system, alarm).
Any help advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Getting ready to do a power window conversion on my 70 RR convertible. Going to use a 4 window kit from NuRelics. Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice, tips, tricks, etc....on how to change out the regulators which is basically what the conversion is besides running the wiring and installing switches. Going to install the 4 switch panel in the console (no switches on the doors or rear quarter panels) and installing a Painless 7 circuit aux. fuse panel to handle the extra electrical load for the windows and other "stuph" I plan on adding later, (stereo system, a Dakota Digital Rally Gauge system, alarm).
Any help advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
if you havent bought the kit yet , Just goto a pick in pull or salvage yard , you can get a 4 button switch for like 5 bucks with the pig tail , i did this out of a late 90's saturn they have the switch in the console , then i just wired up the motors my self save you a ton of cash . then just buy the regulators from Nu relic

Wish I could help, but I couldn't figure out how to change the regulators on my '70 either. I ended up doing it when the quarter panels were removed.

The biggest tip I can give you is "Don't drop the glass".....

I did the same install in my 68 Charger with the console only switches. I bought the 4 window kit with the console wiring harness. The wiring is all pretty straight forward if you follow the directions. It needs a 30A source. The window motors only use about 7 amps each but if you run all 4 at once you would load up the circuit. My car was all stripped of the windows and regulators and I had pictures of the removal so take lots of pictures. Do the door windows first and get them adjusted properly before the quarter windows as they will need to have the forward and back adjustments done after the door windows. The quarter windows will be the most painful to get right. I think I spend a whole day trying to get the first one right. Not to mention my hands and arms looked like I had been attacked by a cat.
Also the Nu Relic door window regulators do not have an adjustable down stop built in. I ended up drilling and tapping a 1/4" bolt in front of the stop because the window would roll down to far below the cat whiskers. I called them because the directions say "if the factory regulators had adjustable stops, the Nu Relics do also". It was not the case so you should look at them as yours may not also. Mine needed to stop 1/4" sooner so that was my fix. Maybe you can come up with another. I had to drill and tap mine in place as I didn't want to take the door apart to get the regulators out. If I were you, I would at least drill and tap the hole just in case you need it before you install it. Here is a pic of what I needed to do.
100_7215.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back