• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need an education about Game Cameras

sam dupont

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
I have somebody using my garbage can. It costs me the same full as empty, so I didn't mind, but the last two weeks there isn't enough room for me. I tried moving the can, but they came into my yard to use it this week. I pulled two of the bags open and found no identification, but then it was all bathroom stuff. I hate other people's bathroom stuff.

I want to buy a Game Camera and put it inside of a birdhouse I have because I want to know who it is, but I know zero about the things. The inside of the birdhouse is 5x5x5. I pulled the bottom off and it will reattach with magnets so it's easy to access the camera. It's only an irritation, unless there is spent meth byproducts being put in my can. I don't want to spend much as my alley has a lot of foot traffic and somebody might figure it out and steal it.

What minimums will I need to get a good image? megapixel, 1080p? Lo-glow/no-glow...

The camera will need more of a view than what a typical birdhouse would offer - although the "camera" portion of the cam, would take a pic through any type of hole for the bird house. The motion detection, nor IR lights would need more room.

I would suggest the Tactacam Reveal series.... releatively inexpensive, will send pics direct to your phone and at least one model even has GPS tracking so if they realize their picture was taken and try to steal the camera - it will track where it is at. But you would have gotten the text via your cell phone prior to them stealing it anyways.

Mount it relatively high, on a pole or tree....then they can only steal it with additional tools such as a ladder etc.

the camera is about 120 bucks the cell plan that comes with it, either verizon or at&t is about 10 bucks a month. You can pay monthly..... so buy it, get it set up, pay the 10 bucks. Find out who it is doing it, address it - get them to stop and you can then cancel the monthly cell package and sell me the camera at a discounted rate :)

Or keep the camera running as surveillance....

Between me and my 3 buddies that have a couple hunting leases together - I would say we have about 45 of the reveal tactacams.....no real issues with any of them at any time.

Don't have a smart phone, will any cameras work with my laptop?

Every camera has an SD card - so if you go that route, you can probably pick one up for about 50 bucks this time a year.....

Can you put a lock on the can?

I have somebody using my garbage can. It costs me the same full as empty, so I didn't mind, but the last two weeks there isn't enough room for me. I tried moving the can, but they came into my yard to use it this week. I pulled two of the bags open and found no identification, but then it was all bathroom stuff. I hate other people's bathroom stuff.

I want to buy a Game Camera and put it inside of a birdhouse I have because I want to know who it is, but I know zero about the things. The inside of the birdhouse is 5x5x5. I pulled the bottom off and it will reattach with magnets so it's easy to access the camera. It's only an irritation, unless there is spent meth byproducts being put in my can. I don't want to spend much as my alley has a lot of foot traffic and somebody might figure it out and steal it.

What minimums will I need to get a good image? megapixel, 1080p? Lo-glow/no-glow...
Smear a liberal amount of Vegemite on the handle.....they'll never do it again.

I was having trouble with drunken accountants and lawyers swinging on a barrier gate arm many years ago at a city carpark. Although getting the work to carry out repairs was lucrative, the building management grew weary of big bills, and parts were getting scarce. The security guards could never identify who was causing the damage, and it was getting annoying.

So I went out and bought some big jars of vaseline jelly and coated the entire arm with the stuff. Really thick coating all along the arm.

Wouldn't you know it......the vandalism stopped immediately. Not a peep about anyone's dry-cleaning bills either. :lol:

man there are just a ton to choose from . i have had great luck w the cabelas brand cam w black flash . runs on 4 or 8 aa batts ( your choice ) . and uses a normal sd card . takes good pics day or night and the best thing is the battery life is very long .it’s fairly easy to operate. a 16 gig sd card will hold hundreds of pics and it will take color daytime pics or vids , at night it’s black n white . last i looked about $120 . like it was said you can mount out of reach or they sell security boxes that lock … but i’m sure you could build one if your handy …

Where you’re trying to catch someone dumping their waste and you may have to set a camera where they can see it, you may want to go wireless. That way if they get caught and see the camera, it’s already taken a pic of them before they can steal the camera and or so card.

There are many options out there. Stealth cam fusion, tacticam reveal, Spypoint, etc all close to $100 bucks or cheaper. Plans can be as little as 5 bucks month and suspend/cancel anytime! They can go right to your computer too!

Good luck!

Example
https://www.amazon.com/SPYPOINT-LIN...-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Auto Transport Service
Back