• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help decoding my 1964 Dodge Polara 500 Sport Couple

frankr

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
Can anybody here help me decode this fender tag - already know and have decoded the serial number.

Thanks if you can - it would be truly appreciated or if not head me in the right direction.

SERIAL-PLATE-DECODED.png

0226 0285- shipping order number. The first four digits-feb. 26 1964 scheduled production date. 632- polara V/8 (318) two door hardtop( not 500). H4T- Tan bench interior. XX - biege body and roof colour. 5- auto trans. 2-power brakes. 1-am radio. 5- heater with defrost. 3-back up lights. 8-windsheild washer. 2-outside left remote mirror. 8-48 Amp battery.

No separate engine code means standard equipment V-8 = 318. 48 amp/hr. battery was standard equipment with 318.

Thanks to all for this but it does not add up to what the cars is now - So got Galen doing as complete decode using the factory build documents.

If you are correct there has been a ton of money spent modifying the car as the 4 speed pedals are perfect - look totally factory same as 4 speed tunnel and console mounting - the interior - steering wheel - buckets are also flawless and appear to be factory sport model and all trim is 500??

Some nice things have been done - like Mopar 472 Hemi with Stage V heads - Dana 60 Detroit locker with 3.91's - 4 wheel 11 inch power disc brakes

1964-HEMI.jpg

1964-HEMI-9.jpg

1964-HEMI-ENGINE.jpg

1964-HEMI-11.jpg

1964-HEMI-13.jpg

1964-HEMI11.jpg

1964-HEMI-12.jpg

1964-HEMI2.jpg

1964-HEMI8.jpg

Great Car !!! Definitely not Factory Options there !!!

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated - like where to find the factory hidden serial number is etc as beginning to wonder if this was a retag as know car was imported into Canada in 2010 and registered in 2015 then finally put on the road in 2019 the owner - builder died and it has been in storage ever since.

I mean if building it for a Hemi Car would you not leave in the original bench seat and why add all the trim to make it a 500 Sport Model??

1964-HEMI-3.jpg

1964-HEMI5.jpg

1964-HEMI-7.jpg

1964-HEMI-8.jpg

Your VIN starts 63, which is Polara. Polara 500 would be 64. Polara 500 was a separate series in U.S.A., but an option on Polara in Canada.

TO GIVE A LITTLE MORE DETAIL IF IT HELPS TO DETERMINE EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE HERE FROM MOPAR EXPERTS??

64 Dodge Polara 500 Sport Model Built By Drag Supply Company (Frank Elliot)
As His Own Personal Vehicle that he purchased in 2010 from Indiana
and worked on it finally registering it in 2105 and worked on this personal project vehicle until he finished it in 2019.
This is a frame off rotisserie nut and bolt restoration done by a master builder - racer considered one of the best by his peers
and is a Drag Racing Hall of Fame Member who built countless cars with his company Drag Supply Company

DODGE POLARA DETAILS
Mopar Performance 472 Hemi Crate Motor Powered worth over $40,000.00 USD with all upgrades not including Frank Elliot's time

Engine: A brand new Mopar Performance 472 Hemi Crate Motor that Frank Elliot used as the base and built to his personal specifications which Include:
New set of Stage V Aluminum heads that were cc'd - ported and polished port matched by Frank Elliot
11 to 1 Compression Pistons that were fly cut to assure good valve clearance NOTE : Aluminum Head Hemi Engines run perfect on 93 Octane Premium Gas due to running cooler than cast iron heads
Hydraulic Roller Rocker Cam Shaft With Extreme Duty Hi Ratio Head Components From Stage V
Fully Balanced and Blueprinted the entire engine to his expert specifications Aluminum Mopar Performance Cross Ram with Dual 770 Holley Carburetors and Mopar Performance Linkages Port Matched To Stage V Heads
8 + quart custom oil pan c/w wind age tray upgraded with a larger 1/2 inch pipe swinging oil pickup
2 1/2 Inch Headers into a 3 inch exhaust system threw MagnaFlow 3 inch Mufflers 80 GPM Fuel Pump @ 8.7 PSI with hardened fuel pump push rod - fender mounted fuel pressure regulator
New Poly Mount Engine Mounts c/w Poly Engine Isolated Tie Downs
Hemi Hydraulic Clutch In Factory Hemi Bell housing c/w Hydraulic Firewall Mounted Reservoir
McLeod RXT Street Twin Clutch Kit, RXT, 1 3/16 in. x 18-Spline, 9.688 in. Diameter Disc Good For Up To 1000 HP
Custom Built 5 inch 4 Core Polished Aluminum Tank Radiator With Polished Stainless Top Shroud

Description Of The Mopar Performance Crate Engine that Frank Elliot Started With and Improved Upon As With Some Items Shown Above:

THE 472 HEMI� CRATE ENGINE WITH INCREASED DISPLACEMENT AND POWER IS AN IMPRESSIVE STEP UP FROM THE FAMILIAR 426 HEMI. MOPAR PERFORMANCE RECOMMENDS THE USE OF AN 850 CFM HOLLEY CARBURETOR AND 2.00" EXHAUST HEADERS (NOT AVAILABLE THROUGH MOPAR).

Full Description
The 472 Hemi� Crate Engine with increased displacement and power is an impressive step up from the familiar 426 Hemi.
Mopar Performance recommends the use of an 850 cfm Holley Carburetor and 2.00" Exhaust Headers (not available through Mopar).
472 HEMI� CRATE ENGINE � 525 HORSEPOWER
Specifications:
� Built with all-new components
� Heavy-Duty Cast Iron Block with cross-bolted mains
� Cast Iron Cylinder Heads
� Chrome Valve Covers
� Breathers
� Stainless Steel 2.25" Intake Valves and 1.94" Exhaust Valves
� Heavy-Duty Single Valve Springs with Dampers
� Premium Material Valve Stem Seals
� 292� Hydraulic Camshaft � 0.524"/0.507" lift
� Forged Pistons � 4.250" bore, 9.0:1 compression ratio
� Aluminum Dual-Plane M1� 4-bbl Intake Manifold
� Forged Steel Crankshaft � 4.150" stroke
� Premium Double Roller Timing Chain and Sprockets
� Front Timing Chain Cover
� 6-quart Rear Sump Oil Pan (1970�71 B- and E-body style)
� 7 mm Silicon Spark Plug Wires
� Spark Plugs
� High-Performance Electronic Distributor
� Heavy-Duty Engine Stand and Shipping Crate

*P5249666AC 472 Hemi Crate Engine � 525 Horsepower, 540 ft.-lbs. Torque.

Dodge Polara 500 Body - Transmission - Suspension - Rear End

This is frame off rotisserie nut and bolt restoration done by a master builder - racer of the entire car both underside - engine compartment - interior.

Transmission:
It's fitting that a car like this came from the factory, and still has the factory 18 Spline Hemi 833 4 speed with a Hurst shifter
Rear End: Detroit Locker 35 Spline 9 3/4 Dana 60 Rear With Mopar Super stock Springs With 11 Inch Power Disc Brakes And Chromed Rear Cover
Suspension: For riding duty, a set of Super Stock springs, one of Chrysler's favorite factory tricks, are under the 9-3/4 Dana and dual pinion snubbers to prevent axle wrap. Factory big-block torsion bars support the front end c/w 11 Inch Power Disc Brakes.
All HD Shocks Are New Both Front And Rear

Wheels/Tires: Frank Installed a pair of factory Cragar SS 1 rims 15x8 inches on the rear with Goodyear 275/70/15 radial tires. Cragar SS1 15x7 inch rims are up front with Goodyear 235/70/15 radial tires.
These were the exact rims he ran on all his race cars
Frame has sub frame connectors welded in between the factory sub frames to handle the massive 650 + Horsepower Hemi - it has not been tubbed - modified - cut or altered is flawless - rust free and painted.
NHRA Approved Drive Shaft Loop which is required for any car with slicks or a legitimately quick car as required by NHRA to have a Drive shaft Safety Loop.
HD Battery Trunk Mounted Above Right Rear Tire - Factory Spare Tile c/w Jack Mounted Above Left Rear Tire - Factory Trunk Matt Installed Below Both

High Impact Dodge Polara 500 Sport Body and Interior Options

Paint/Body:
The sheet metal work was handled by Frank Elliot, including the replacement Max Wedge-type custom hood scoop.
Frank covered the body in factory code W White with a Flat Black Hood complete with safety lock pins.
All Stainless Steel Trim And Other Chrome Trim Is As New and Highly Polished - Front and Rear Bumpers Triple Nickel Plated Chrome Polished To Perfection
All Lights And Lenses Are NOS Perfect With No Cracking Or Hazing
All Glass Is Perfect Including All Side Windows - Tinted Front WindShield and Rear Windshield
Overall, the car looks like a bone-stock restoration except the raised 2 inch additional hood scoop to allow for the Mopar Performance Cross Ram with 2 x 770 CFM Holley Carbeurators.

Interior: Inside, the car looks stock and the cars seats - rugs - door panels - headliner are absolutely original in look and are flawless - looking brand new.
But there is an AutoMeter 11,000 RPM SuperStock Tachometer With Settable Shift Points And a Shift Light, an Stewart Warner oil pressure guage and engine temperature guage are professionally mounted.
A Hurst Competition Plus shifter jutting up from the floor console between the factory buckets seats with a factory Dodge Tachometer in front of the shifter.
The special 50th anniversary POLARA steering wheel remains in place. Factory Working AM Radio c/w Rear Window Speaker
All Factory Gauges Are Working and Prestine

THIS CAR CAN NOT TRULY BE APPRECIATED UNLESS SEEN IN PERSON AND PUT ON A HOIST TO VIEW THIS IMMACULATE MULTI YEARS RESTORATION BY ONE OF THE BEST RESTORERS OR FABRICATORS IN CANADA - WHO WAS AND DID METICULOUSLY RETORE THIS CAR AS HIS OWN PERSONAL MUSCLE CAR DAILY DRIVER.

CAR HAS BEEN HEATED GARAGE STORED SINCE COMPLETED WITH 600 MILES SINCE

COMPLETED AND NEVER EVER BEEN DRIVEN IN THE RAIN - A TRUE FAIR WEATHER SHOW CAR OR SUNDAY DRIVER

INCLUDED WITH THE CAR IS THE FACTORY CORRECT EXCELLENT BUT NOT PERFECT SPINNER POLISHED STAINLESS HUB CAPS

Your VIN starts 63, which is Polara. Polara 500 would be 64. Polara 500 was a separate series in U.S.A., but an option on Polara in Canada.

THIS IS WHY I AM WONDERING IF THIS CAR IS A RETAG - MAYBE DUE TO LOST ORIGINAL REGISTRATION BEFORE THE RESTORATION OR?? THOUGHTS ON THIS ??

IF THAT IS THE CASE I NEED TO LOCATE THE FACTORY BODY ID NUMBER SO WE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT WE HAVE HERE BEFORE GALEN COMMENCES WITH THE DECODE??

DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?? - Sorry to be yelling here - but just wanted the above to be noted that I need this sooner than later.

Last edited:
The body code should be on the rad support, and it should have the SO number in it, as well as year and plant. The SO number on your tag should match it. If it doesn't then the tag is not original to your car.

The body code should be on the rad support, and it should have the SO number in it, as well as year and plant. The SO number on your tag should match it. If it doesn't then the tag is not original to your car.
Thanks for that !! any idea exactly where as the paint in that area is quite thick as we did look ??

It is usually on the driver's side, either on the very top, or the back side in front of the radiator. The numbers are lightly stamped, so heavy paint will fill them up. I think there might be another one on the package tray, but I'm not certain. The car has had a lot of work done to it, you shouldn't try to determine how it left the factory by the way it is now. All I can say for sure is, that fender tag is for a 318 automatic polara.

It is usually on the driver's side, either on the very top, or the back side in front of the radiator. The numbers are lightly stamped, so heavy paint will fill them up. I think there might be another one on the package tray, but I'm not certain. The car has had a lot of work done to it, you shouldn't try to determine how it left the factory by the way it is now. All I can say for sure is, that fender tag is for a 318 automatic polara.
Thanks and much appreciated for all your help and time. Will still try to track down if that is the correct tag or not - but that is not relevant to the car.

Restored a 1966 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi factory 4 speed a few years back and there is nothing like Hemi Power when dialed in - so really looking forward to next summer with this old girl.

So when I found this 64 jumped on it as they are few and far between - especially in this shape.

The 66 I had back to completely original even correct date exhaust manifolds and was totally matching numbers except 67 Magnum 500's - sure kick my A** I ever sold it - but we all have those stories. I keep in on the wall in my office to remember to never be that stupid again.

1966-DODGE-HEMI-CHARGER-2.jpg

1966-DODGE-HEMI-CHARGER-3.jpg

1966-DODGE-HEMI-CHARGER-6.jpg

20200630_194011.jpg

Last edited:
franker, That's a Great Car. It's in no way a Factory Car, but It's Definitely a Car Most of Us would Love to Own. The Mid-60's B-Bodies are Not High Dollar Cars, but more of a Personal Preference. Enjoy it as it is, and "Drive the Wheels" Off It !

I AGREE - the beauty of the car is it not worth so much you are afraid to drive it or enjoy it like some of these outrageous priced Hemi Cars.

Yet this thing would give most cars a run for their money the way its built.

I used to have the following toys but again like an idiot sold them - this is never going to happen with old girl - I will get buried in it!!

That is my wife behind the wheel of the 32 Pickup Hotrod - she loved it as being a blower vehicle ran perfect till you put your foot into.

The funny car hauler had a 429 Cobra Jet in it and ran perfect - sold it and the 32 at Barret Jackson - again as always Kick my A** - so learned my lesson - never again .

68_GTX-.jpg

69-_SUPERBEE_440_SIX_PAK.jpg

69-_SUPERBEE_440_SIX_PAK-2.jpg

440_six_pak.jpg

1928-FORD-BLOWN-468-.jpg

1928-FORD-BLOWN-468-2.jpg

1928-FORD-BLOWN-468-4.jpg

1970-FORD-FUNNY-CAR-.jpg

1970-FORD-FUNNY-CAR-2.jpg

The PO did go through a lot to change it from a Polara to a Polara 500. He did forget the glove box though.

Polara glove box emblem...
1964-dodge-polara.jpeg

Polara 500 emblem...
Screenshot_20231116_200546_Chrome.jpg

Side trim on the Polara were mainly painted and had this scripted emblem at the end...
s-l960 (12).jpg

The Polara 500 had the turned metal look, trim, without any script at the end...
Screenshot_20231116_200518_Chrome.jpg

Nice looking Polara regardless and looks like a fun wicked ride! :thumbsup:

Oh, Welcome to the site!

The PO did go through a lot to change it from a Polara to a Polara 500. He did forget the glove box though.

Polara glove box emblem...
View attachment 1558386

Polara 500 emblem...
View attachment 1558387

Side trim on the Polara were mainly painted and had this scripted emblem at the end...
View attachment 1558390

The Polara 500 had the turned metal look, trim, without any script at the end...
View attachment 1558389

Nice looking Polara regardless and looks like a fun wicked ride! :thumbsup:

Oh, Welcome to the site!
Thanks the plot thickens and I am hoping someone here knew Frank Elliot and has more history on the car - you never know with time might get the whole story.

Unfortunately Frank is no longer around to reveal the whole story??

And your right - it is a Sunday and car show driver that will be a fun ride - especially out in NB with lots of open road and few traffic issues.

And thanks for the welcome - much appreciated.

FRANK-ELLIOT-BIO.png

FRANK-ELLIOT-BIO-1.jpg

FRANK-ELLIOT-BIO-4.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome and a very nice Dodge you have there.

Auto Transport Service
Back