• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help. Hughes, mancini MRE (harland sharp), or 440 source Rocker arms/shafts?

adam83

Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
I would like some input on my rocker arm and shaft selection. I have a 440 +30, forged factory crank, 440 source forged rods, ross forged aluminum pistons, fully ported edelbrock rpm heads. About 10:1 to 10.2:1 compression. The cam will probably not go over .600 lift, and it will be a solid flat tappet. I need to buy rockers and shafts. Edelbrock says I must use adjustable rocker arms, so I dont think I can use factory stamped steel. and for under $800 for a full kit, these were the only options I could find. All of them are roller tip.

440 source rockers: http://store.440source.com/Aluminum-Roller-Rockers_shafts-15-Ratio-New/productinfo/200-1045/

440 source are needle bearings, which I've heard mixed reviews about, and the rockers probably not quite as strong as the others, but their price is attractive ($215 plus the cost of hardware, so maybe $350-400 total?).

Mancini MRE rockers: http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/b15alrowibih.html

Mancini racing sells a repackaged harland sharp rocker/shaft kit with billet hold downs and arp bolts for $479, and shims are another $12. These are not needle bearing rockers. They come with hardened steel shaft.

Hughes Engines: http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...w==&searchmode=partnumber&page=1&partid=26774

Hughes engines sells there aluminum roller rockers with chamfered shafts with threaded end caps (for cleaning). They say they are rated up to 600lbs spring pressure, or 800lbs if cryo treated. The full kit is $549 for the regular, $674 for cryo treated, and the billet hold down caps w/arp studs is $85

I was most attracted to the hughes, but they are the most expensive and if I dont need them, then I'll go with a cheaper setup.

- - - Updated - - -

of course, if there are any setups in my price range that I havent mentioned, please fill me in. I also liked the comp cams, but for shaft +rockers and hardware its over $1000 and thats not in my budget

Call harlan sharp, long time company good quality. Second choice is call Crane cams see what they offer. Third get a set of steel rockers rebush the rockers. Stay away from anything to good to be true!

I have the mopar performance/crane smith pushrods and comp cam.

yo

Since a solid lifter cam is what the OP wants, an adjustable valvetrain is mandatory.

All I can tell you is I use these Hughes rocker arms , shafts and hold down hardware. They have been in my 440/493 for 2 years of cruisin and a few trips down the dragstip with zero problems. They are holding up good and stay in adjustment as I just adjusted the valves 2 weeks ago. I use a solid flat tappet cam. Ron

100_1478.jpg

I've always liked and had good luck with Harland Sharps but have Comp Cam Magnum rockers in my 451. Comps are bushed not roller at the fulcrum and gave a perfect valve contact pattern. Some of the others like Mancini's are aluminum with no bushing which probably wouldn't matter seeing how they are fed oil threw the shaft. The biggest thing I found to look for is the ratio, if it isn't correct the rocker tip won't be centered on the valve causing excessive wear on the guides. Good luck

I have the 440source set up and although I have not had any problems at all and they work flawlessly I would like to try a set of the hugus at least once maybe with spring spacers? hard choice. I only cruise the streets no track time.

IMAG0519.gif

You should be aware that Hughes Engines have changed their billet hold downs to a "new version".

This new version billet hold downs are the same width in a smallblock AND bigblock application.

The Hughes bigblock billet hold down kit requires LOTS of thick shims (with Hughes own rockers), and only approx 50% of the required shims are supplied in the kit.

Hughes is very reluctant to supply the needed number of shims.

I have Cryo treated Hughes ones in 1.6. 665 lbs. over the nose. They lasted the life of the engine.They have no noticible wear and when motor in freshened i will reuse with only cleaning.It was a high RPM race 496 cu. in. motor.Hughes is one of the very best i have found and will help you over the phone anytime you need help !

I run Comp Cams Magnums on my 505 and have had no troubles in 3 years......I have also used the Hughes rockers also with no problems..

Don't forget that , if you go with needle roller style rockers like Harland Sharp and 440 source, you may need to put restrictors in the heads oiling passages...if you don't , you may end up with all kinds of oil leaking past the needle rollers and a possible drop in oil pressure.

The Comp and Hughes rockers don't have this problem since the rocker bodies ride directly on the shafts and keep the oil somewhat contained

How about some crane / isky / MOPAR performance ductile iron rockers? You can send them off to RAS and have them bushed and even have their ratio changed to 1.6:1 of you want for like $150.

hughes all they way . the way the tip of the rocker is angled to valve stem tip, you can see it in the design of the rocker . better valve geometry

harland sharp rockers are flat not angled twards the valve tip.

if your thinking about the harlands then you should just buy the cast cranes they are better with the valve geometry.

I bought Harlin Sharp 1.6 rocker and the did not fit the Edelbrock RPM heads. The roller was on the outer part of the valve stem. I ended up with Hughes 1.6 rockers and they fit perfect on the valve stem.

I agree about Hughes. You can see mine in the pic I posted earlier in this post but everyone of my 1.6 Hughes roller tip rockers hit dead center on the valve tip. They have worked flawless for over 3 years of driving and some drag racing each year. Ron

Thought about Hughes for a long time. Ended up going with COMPCAMS. I was on the fence for a long time until I got crappy parts and crappy customer service from Hughes.

but for shaft +rockers and hardware its over $1000 there about $750.00

I run Comp Cams Magnums on my 505 and have had no troubles in 3 years......I have also used the Hughes rockers also with no problems..

Don't forget that , if you go with needle roller style rockers like Harland Sharp and 440 source, you may need to put restrictors in the heads oiling passages...if you don't , you may end up with all kinds of oil leaking past the needle rollers and a possible drop in oil pressure.

The Comp and Hughes rockers don't have this problem since the rocker bodies ride directly on the shafts and keep the oil somewhat contained

I have full roller cam 900lbs spring pressure,700 lift, I broke 3 mopar/crane rockers so I switched to Harland sharp. Nice parts, had to trim rocker to clear valve cover. None broke yet. You have to match rockers to your heads, different offsets.
Good luck

Updating an old post.

I ended up buying Comp Cam Pro-Magnum roller tip rockers. They are very strong, and they ride on bronze bushings. So far so good.

Auto Transport Service
Back