• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help Id'ing a cam

70chall440

Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
I have this Purple Cam for my 426 Hemi but the box is not correct for it. I have measured it several times but am not finding anything matching. This is supposed to be a hydraulic cam but I am not sure, I am wondering if anyone out there has any idea.

The nose to heel measurement is 1.525 (intake) / 1/522 (exhaust) and the base circle is 1.160 (I used a digital caliper), the rocker ratio is said to be 1.5 to 1.56; therefore I am coming up with .569 / .564

Iv'e read through many forums asking essentially the same question and obviously Mopar doesn't number their cams. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

No way to mock it up in a motor and just check it with the degree wheel?

Well I dont have a degree wheel so there is that... :) That said, I probably need one. Like I said, this is supposed to be a hyd cam, but I cannot figure out if it is or isn't. That is why I was hoping to get close enough to the lift to ID it but no joy thus far.

It's really hard to measure the way you are to come up with anything. And it's also really hard to tell, just by looking at it. However, I can see what you mean from the pic, it does look like a really flat ramp, bump right up to full lift, just like a mechanical cam would. You would expect to see a more gentle rounded ramp up on a hydraulic. Sounds like your best bet is find someone nearby with a dial indicator and a cam wheel, and then you'll know every detail in a hurry. Good luck, lefty71

Thanks, I've thought about getting a degree wheel for some time, perhaps this is a good excuse to do so.

Well I have ordered a degree wheel so at least I will have that. While I am waiting I decided to measure the cam with a digital dial indicator, I made a cam stand and got everything aligned and positioned, I did several intake and exhaust lobes to make sure of my readings. I am getting .364 on the intake and .359 on the exhaust; well Mopar seems to list there cams with rocker ratio factored in, so using 1.5, this then comes to .546 and .538 respectively. I have an old Mopar Performance catalog which has a list of cams for the 426, but nothing that matches or is really even close. I am thinking (optimistically) that this cam is P4349257 which is 524/507 lift hydraulic cam but am probably wrong, I arrived at this because there isn't more lift than this and the next cam is 572/557 mechanical but as I say I might be using some wishful thinking here. I will install the cam into the engine soon and measure the lift there I suppose.

So, I ordered a roller tip for my dial indicator and it arrived today, I remeasured the lobes and came up with some slightly different numbers which now have me thinking this is a mechanical cam (P4529344) which is .572/.557. I will mock it up in the engine and see what that says.

After some reading and research I am now very certain it is a P4529344, now to determine if this is a good cam for what I am doing.

Building a street motor, not intending on doing any racing with it whatsoever. This engine will be in my 70 RR which has a tilt front end and really be more of a hotrod, conversation piece. I will be running EFI on it to be sure.

I should note that I am using stock heads, will be running headers, the intake will be a MP single 4BBL.

Definitely at the high end, size wise of what you would want for a street motor, i'd bet.

Yeah I am kind of thinking that as well, however I am not sure how much. I don't care if it is rowdy/lumpy all that much so long as the engine will have some street manners or better said is reliable; I don't want an engine that is miserable to live with. I don't have all of the specs on the cam yet as it didn't come with a cam card, but I will be degreeing it soon. At first I was a little concerned with it being a solid lifter cam, but again this is not going to be a DD and given the tilt front end, getting to the valve covers isn't an issue, so I am willing to live with that.

Auto Transport Service
Back