• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help! My 69 Charger R/T

Mutt19935

Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone its matt again, I've put up a few pics of my car in two other threads on here as well as some of the more personal story about it. I plan on this being the thread for my restoration. as I said in the other thread I've really reached the limit of what I can do(feel comfortable doing) on the car, really just because of time and my job (military) keeps me away from where I have the car stored. This was always more or less the plan, get the car to where I can drive it around the neighborhood (with some reliability), then get the big(real) restoration and work done by a shop. I have a rough idea of what I want the car to be. something with some good HP (500 or higher if possible) and decent controllability and reliability. So right now I plan on doing a 512 stoker on my 400(not original engine of course) from 440 source. rebuilding my 727 and probably rebuilding my rear end or just going with a new dana 60, hotchkis suspension kit and shocks, baer disk break conversion all around. TTI headers and exhaust system most likely thinking three inch system. and then of course body work, paint and interior. I am thinking of doing a deep blue with the white RT bumble bee strip on the back, and most likely white and black interior. I am trying to do more of a restomod then a full out protouring car.

so with that said I'm looking for advice and words of wisdom from those who have the experience or have been screwed over that can help me prevent that as much as possible.

I'm looking for what a fair budget is for something like this I'm thinking somewhere around 60k? I know you pretty much always go over budget but is that a fair starting point?

Next i wanted to see if anyone on here knows any good shops in California? I'm willing to transport the car and wouldn't mind having it shipped to a neighboring state if someone knows a great shop in like Arizona Nevada ....you get the idea.

and lastly I had my brother get a few more pictures of the car, really looking to see if anyone sees any major red flags or things that would make it either impossible or very very expensive to fix. Thanks a ton in Advance guys if I have anything posted where I shouldn't please let me know I'm new to all of this and wish I had known about places like this years ago.

-Matt

IMG_2060.jpg IMG_2061.jpg IMG_2062.jpg IMG_2064.jpg IMG_2075.jpg IMG_2078.jpg IMG_2080.jpg IMG_2081.jpg IMG_2082.jpg IMG_2083.jpg

and the rest of them sorry if they are not great quality

IMG_2084.jpg IMG_2085.jpg IMG_2087.jpg IMG_2088.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.. Looks like you have a fairly solid car there. Lots of good info on this site and plenty of helpful guys. Here is my thread on the 68 I finished about a year ago. Your's is brand new compared to the mess I started with. Chargers Rule!!

Thanks a ton man! I’ve been reading through a ton of your post, honestly seeing how much you and a lot of other guys have done on your own I think I might take on more of the work and try to learn more. Glad to hear that the car looks pretty good. I’ve learned I ton since I bought the car and since I only get leave every once I haven’t gotten to check certain aspects of the body to make sure they are solid. Outside of the hole in the floor I don’t think I have anything super concerning besides a few small dents but it’s always great to get some extra feedback/ a second set of eyes

Unless you have the equipment and skill set to do this restoration yourself, plan on shelling out some big bucks.

I have restored a number of different vehicles. The Coronet R/T in my avatar is one of them. Yes, that is the actual car.

The hours pile up rather quickly and can get into the 100s before you know it. Then the parts needed are all extra expensive because it's a Mopar! Primer, paint and clear can can cost over a $1000 depending on the color.

This is why I decided to spend the money on getting the tools, a large air compressor, filtration system and spray guns. I work in my garage but found it necessary to build a paint booth in order to get a quality paint job.

Not trying to discourage you but the reality is having someone do this for you is going to cost big time. Be prepared for that. Also, get references and contact previous customers before deciding on a shop.

Auto Transport Service
Back