• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help, post #5 update - 440 remove gear drive and install timing chain.

Nismobishi

Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
*Engine specs and new questions in post #5.

Hey everyone,
I have a 72 440 that has a gear drive in it. I bought a timing chain kit from Summit that I want to install because the gear drive is just not my thing.
Is there anything I need to look out for? Can you even go back to a timing chain after a gear drive?
It's not a Mildon, it has a stock timing cover.
Also, should I put the crank sprocket on 0 degrees? There are several notches.

A little about me, I'm a 15 year experienced Nissan master tech so I will be able to do this work with no problem. With that said, all I work on are Japanese overhead cam engines so i am not very familier with this kind of set up. I worked on a 350 Chevy once in school 20 years ago lol!

Last edited:
Everything should bolt up and you should need nothing else. I always degree the cam when done. I do not trust the garbage on today's market.

Should be no issue swapping the gear drive off. The cam may or may not be in the correct phase (degreed) with the crank gear on the "O" location. Also; with multiple keyway locations use the corsponding dot out at the edges of the tooth for the given key way location. Do not use the mark on the keyway itself to line up with the cam dot. The "R" location retards the cam. The "A" location advances the cam. Without degreeing the cam it is a crap shoot how close it is lined up. If it's a mild street motor you should be ok. A race motor needs to be degreed. Advancing or retarding the cam with minimal piston to valve clearance can get you into trouble.
Doug

This is added for dvw... :)

IMG_1256.JPG

2652_4.jpg

ad1544dc-613a-45e8-b52b-3bdbd3ee53fd-jpeg.jpg

Excellent advice and pictures. I bought a degree wheel though I have never used one before. All the Japanese stuff I work on is set the marks and then the computer handles the timing advance lol.

This engine has a mild Lunati cam, A&A cross ram with 2 edelbrock carbs, Headman headers and hydraulic lifters. Nothing crazy. Not a race engine. It was built 20 years ago but only has about 800 miles on it.

#1 Should I set the crank sprocket at one of the advance notches or just line up the 2 marks at 12 and 6 o'clock pointing at each other with the crank sprocket lined up at 0?

#2 Do I need one of those cam buttons?

Below is a picture of the build sheet and the cam that is in it. It has the Lunati cam, the Napa cam was taken out.

Build specs:
20230222_194622.jpg

Current cam:
Lunati 33702: Cams BB MOPAR CAM 285/.465 - JEGS High Performance
20230222_194640.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back