• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help w/ 68 charger new rear drum brake install

So, I took it all off & started fro. Scratch thinking I'd be easier but installing the green spring & adjuster is still hell. And I'm thinking again that the springs I have is too small. Like that video his springs had long ends not like mine. I got it on there with some help but one wrong move & it's coming apart. Look how stretched the spring is.

IMG_20220614_191732.jpg

Maybe spring is for 10" brakes? Where did you get the springs. If a kit google the kit mfg and kit number.

Go look at post 9 the bottom 2 pictures.

@pnora Check my post#2 took off Charger website is that wrong? What to delete from my pictures if wrong. Saw post 9 was wondering if 10".

@pnora Check my post#2 took off Charger website is that wrong? What to delete from my pictures if wrong. Saw post 9 was wondering if 10".
You know what, trying to learn off videos of cars that's not of your own is my downfall. I now think the way I had it in the beginning was right. So know I just took off all my parts for nothing. Because now I'm going back to my install booklet & looking at the photo they give, it shows it like I had it before. All the internet stuff confused me.

16552621554011125961521994184799.jpg

Fran I do not think its wrong. I think there are variants in the spring kits. Some have a spring designed to go straight across and others have a diagonal like this application. Confusion comes in as he is converting from manual adjusters to auto adjusters.

I think thats accurate. Wanna make sure it's right this time, I shouldn't have to take it off again. I wanna leave this post to help others as well. I found another post, would you say how I've got mine right now is how this guys is? First photo

IMG_20220615_131602.jpg

IMG_20220615_140647.jpg

IMG_20220615_140707.jpg

Last edited:
I think thats accurate. Wanna make sure it's right this time, I shouldn't have to take it off again. I wanna leave this post to help others as well. I found another post, would you say how I've got mine right now is how this guys is? Last photo.

Edit, hold on

View attachment 1299321
Your self adjuster cable is to loose. Make sure the guide in seated into the hole in the shoe.

OK, I talked with the seller who I bought my kit from & instead of installing the kit in the order of the video posted in this post, like installing the bottom green spring & adjuster first, he pointed me back to my instructions sheet. So yesterday with a fresh head & with the knowledge I already learned by doing the job multiple times already, I followed the order of the instructions sheet. And I do believe it is correct finally at last. I mounted all my parking brake cables except to the equalizer. It's about an inch or so short.
I guess there's a trick to that too. I'll post a photo of that.

In case anyone in the future, wants to know for a 68 charger, install the bottom spring & adjuster, lever & small spring that hooks onto the lever last. And unlike in the youtube video, Don't try to Install both shoes at the same time. Install the primary shoe first & then secondary & the rest after. I had it mostly right the first time but being a newbie to doing a drum brake job & spreading the work over time & basing my car on a YouTube video of a different car, I didn't know if it was correct or not. And the photo of the listing I bought from showed a different spring.

Do what I just stated & maybe ya want get rattled like I did. Lol. I thank yall for trying to help. I still got work to do on this car & to get brakes. I've got to re bleed the entire system again. After installing the new master cylinder & booster & lines, I never got a pedal. That's another post I guess.

IMG_20220616_180637.jpg

View attachment 1300143

View attachment 1300144

IMG_20220616_174103.jpg

IMG_20220616_191506.jpg

OK, I talked with the seller who I bought my kit from & instead of installing the kit in the order of the video posted in this post, like installing the bottom green spring & adjuster first, he pointed me back to my instructions sheet. So yesterday with a fresh head & with the knowledge I already learned by doing the job multiple times already, I followed the order of the instructions sheet. And I do believe it is correct finally at last. I mounted all my parking brake cables except to the equalizer. It's about an inch or so short.
I guess there's a trick to that too. I'll post a photo of that.

In case anyone in the future, wants to know for a 68 charger, install the bottom spring & adjuster, lever & small spring that hooks onto the lever last. And unlike in the youtube video, Don't try to Install both shoes at the same time. Install the primary shoe first & then secondary & the rest after. I had it mostly right the first time but being a newbie to doing a drum brake job & spreading the work over time & basing my car on a YouTube video of a different car, I didn't know if it was correct or not. And the photo of the listing I bought from showed a different spring.

Do what I just stated & maybe ya want get rattled like I did. Lol. I thank yall for trying to help. I still got work to do on this car & to get brakes. I've got to re bleed the entire system again. After installing the new master cylinder & booster & lines, I never got a pedal. That's another post I guess.

View attachment 1300142

View attachment 1300143

View attachment 1300144

View attachment 1300147

View attachment 1300148

This end needs to be hooked better. Give it a half turn so it hooks in behind the hole. It could pop out like it is.
IMG_20220616_180637.jpg

The same spring on the right side needs to be turned end for end.

The large springs at the top can be squeezed together a little. (Close the hook some)

I see issues in both photos. Brakes are a safety item and repairs should be done properly. My advice is pay a mechanic to get it right.

This end needs to be hooked better. Give it a half turn so it hooks in behind the hole. It could pop out like it is.
View attachment 1300149

The same spring on the right side needs to be turned end for end.

The large springs at the top can be squeezed together a little. (Close the hook some)
Yeah, your right, that's how I left it from yesterday. Still on the stands, so easy fix.
I took those top springs on & off so many times stretching it out, the hook ends bent out of shape. Kept having to squeeze them with pliers. Lucky I didn't break em.

I see issues in both photos. Brakes are a safety item and repairs should be done properly. My advice is pay a mechanic to get it right.
Other than what was mentioned that I just corrected, I don't see other issues. And finding a shop these days to work on old muscle cars is just about a thing in the past & I'm in the south. Last yr I took my charger to the only brake shop that would take it & they screwed me around for 3 weeks & wouldn't finish the job then complained it was taking up their space, hence the job I just did & had to hire a tow truck to haul it back home. Plus it's the general Lee & never know how folks gonna react to that.
I don't care myself but you know. Anyway, not simple. Closest shop that works on muscle cars & restoration in my area is about a 2 hr drive with towing expenses I might add. But I did call & they are booked thru the summer for anything. Plus I finished hooking up my cables to the equalizer. Cooler outside today. Amazing how clear headed you think when your not on fire In a sauna. Photos to clarify.
Thanks

16555111446165354894443183859883.jpg

16555113865698345097135339553391.jpg

IMG_20220617_192128.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back