• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with 440-3 cutting out on heavy acceleration. Solved!

Is it worth hooking one up through an exhaust cutout? I know they recommend being further up the head pipe. I’d like to rig up something inexpensive and non-permanent to get my new carb dialed in. I’ve seen guys use a multimeter instead of a fancy gauge.

I know you got it going well but to answer your question, you want the O2 sensor relatively close to the engine. That said, you could put the bung in for tuning and when done there is a plug you can put in, just saying. Congrats on getting it going, I know that feeling.

It did cross my mind. What would be involved in that?

To install one, you have to drill a hole into one of the exhaust pipes (I usually put them just past the collector), then weld in a bung or there is a clamp on one as well but welding is the way to go.

To install one, you have to drill a hole into one of the exhaust pipes (I usually put them just past the collector), then weld in a bung or there is a clamp on one as well but welding is the way to go.
I might go that route. It would make tuning a whole lot easier.

I know you got it going well but to answer your question, you want the O2 sensor relatively close to the engine.
The O2 sensor needs to be positioned after the collector, but within 18 inches of it.....so close to the engine, but after the collector. Further away gives unreliable readings.

Bonus points for using JP's "Pain and Pleasure" for the intro music.

That album doesn't have a bad song on it, but only 2 ever got played, and now only 1.

Here is the subject vehicle:)
20210420_170845.jpg
20210420_170924.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back