• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with Heat Riser rebuild

Dean B

Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
I need to rebuild the heat riser in the manifold for my '70 Charger. I have the kit but what is the best way to remove the old valve? It appears that the shaft is currently seized/stuck with the valve in the closed position. Thanks for any helpful information you can give.

I did many of these in the 70's and as I recall, we had to salvage the weight, cut out the shaft center w/ butterfly, and then drove out the remaining 2 shaft pieces. Seems like they used bushings, if so drive those out and reinstall the new ones. Fit the shaft to the bushings and braze the butterfly to the shaft. Install the new spring and weight. Pay attention to the spring position and the stop so it will function correctly. Good luck!
Mike

They did use bushings.......Sometimes you can get lucky and break the butterfly loose and then drive out the shaft. Most of the time is as Mike said above....When I replace them I leave the butterfly out......

I watched an episode of Nicks garage on YT. He just did away with the whole thing.

If you want to drive the car on cold days you'll want the heat riser working to pre-heat the carb. My carb used to ice up on the way to work in the winter because the heat riser was stuck open.

For those of you who don't know the back story, this GTX was my daily driver from 2-68 to 1-73.

Auto Transport Service
Back