• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with sway bar!!!! 69 k frame with QA1 lca

Sedbld

Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Looking for some help or ideas on what seems to be a quagmire with QA1 lca’s on 66-69 k frames and sway bars. I am working on a 69 Bee that has original K frame but has QA1 upper and lower arms and the lca’s have sway bar mounts in the newer 70-72 position. The original 69 sway bar is way too long and the original 69 k frame will not allow a 70-72 style sway bar slide through it. Of course QA1 wants to use their k frame but that’s not an option. I have done a lot of reading and surfing and can’t find anything about someone coming up with a solution for this problem. I have been thinking about this for several months and only practical idea I have is to bend a 69 bar to meet the lca brackets then cut and shorten the bar “legs” so the bar will mount correctly on the k frame. Not really wanting to cut and weld a bar but I am running out of ideas. Please tell me any ideas that anyone might have to finally solve this issue. Thanks in advance

Ditch the arms. Someone will buy them for racing and buy something that works.

I’d recommend using the correct k frame being you have the 69,is it in the car? If it’s all there why not get the 69 style Lca’s versus swapping a k member to 70 style. Save yourself dropping the K member and put the right parts back in... I know the 70 uses the tabs and a different K member and 69 doesn’t, I just look at simplicity —- kiss ! To each their own

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust a sway bar that had been cut, welded or bent. A correct set of lower control arms would be my solution. Moving the sway bar tabs may also be an option.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been pondering changing the lca’s back to the originals and that maybe what I end up doing which would be the easiest. But I would like to try and make this work not only for this car but for all the others that I have read that has run into the same problem

does anyone know if the addco sway bar use the original link mounts or do they have a bracket that bolts to the lower shock bolt for the links to mount too?

Two different style of set ups you need one or the other..

Unfortunately QA1 does not and they should. The only way to get a sway bar for 66-69 is use their k frame and bar. Just another company that sells “the best thing since sliced bread “ but sorry only partially fits your application and we don’t offer that either. Crazy

You could get a K member from a 1970 right? I found one at a local junk yard for $300 with sway bar and k member.

Does QA1 offer a sway bar that fits their design?

Only if you buy their tubular sub frame. I ended up buying the QA1 tubular upper control arms and tie rod sleeves. I didn’t like the idea of aluminum strut rods on a street car so I sprung for a set from Hotchkis.

K-frame and LCA’s are original, so is my sway bar. Everything is upgraded with polyurethane bushings.

2B0C966B-AA36-4C99-A097-DAF0DA36C707.jpeg

Only if you buy their tubular sub frame. I ended up buying the QA1 tubular upper control arms and tie rod sleeves. I didn’t like the idea of aluminum strut rods on a street car so I sprung for a set from Hotchkis.

K-frame and LCA’s are original, so is my sway bar. Everything is upgraded with polyurethane bushings.

View attachment 1427323
Well that sucks.. I guess some modifications will be made to the 500.00 QA1 lowers. Not putting their tube k member in. So I guess I'll have to figure out lower mounts for the sway bar.

drilled angle iron on lower shock bolt . east peasy.
Great idea.. I will look into this for sure. I have a welder so fabbing stuff wont be too bad. God knows I have a crap load of stuff around to use.

Auto Transport Service
Back