• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need machining advice.

aldal

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
My March Serpentine pulley for the water pump is thicker then stock pulleys where it bolts on to the pump which is fine if I were using electric fans but I want to use my Viscous Hemi fan set up and the fan doesn't catch a lot of the center pilot on the pump (about 1/16"). Can the mounting face of my March Serpentine pulley be machined down a little? They are CNC machined from solid 6061-T6 billet aluminum.

20160220_103837_LLS.jpg

Sorry about the links for the other pictures but I sometime am computer illiterate.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=303186&d=1453397756

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=303184&d=1453397740

Depends on how much you need? I don't think taking aluminum down to the stamped steel thickness would be a good idea but wouldn't see a problem with 1/8"-3/16" but I'd only machine an area large enough fir the fan to mount.

- - - Updated - - -

How about some pics, I'm looking into installing a serpentine as well.

Does your pilot catch enough of the Hemi fan to center it or is it kinda loose on it? How much do you need to take off for the pilot to center the fan?

It seems to fit snug but I would like to gain another 1/16" if I could.

I agree with 747Mopar, I'd be very reluctant to mill down very much thickness on that pulley. If the hub of that pulley broke off at high RPM it could cause a hell of a lot of damage. I can't think of a better solution offhand, but maybe somebody will chime in with an idea.

Depends on how much you need? I don't think taking aluminum down to the stamped steel thickness would be a good idea but wouldn't see a problem with 1/8"-3/16" but I'd only machine an area large enough fir the fan to mount.

- - - Updated - - -

How about some pics, I'm looking into installing a serpentine as well.

I do not have them installed, the parts are just in the box but from what I have seen and by bench fitting things I am quite pleased. Like I said the water pump pulley is intended for electric fans but I really want the fan look....so I guess I will see what happens.

It seems to fit snug but I would like to gain another 1/16" if I could.
Should have asked but how thick is the mounting surface as it stands?

What do you guys think if I would go with the way it is and Loctite the fan bolts....would that maybe be a better solution?

- - - Updated - - -

Call march and ask them what it will tolerate with out loss of integrity. Then mount in a bridge port and mill it.

I will do that thanks, snakeoil24.

Can you shave it off the fan instead? If that pulley is 1/4" thick I wouldn't worry about a 1/16" but would first look into a tighter fitting fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the bolt length your concern? Buy longer bolts?

March isn't going to tell you it's ok to machine one of their parts due to liability......I have a March V-belt pump pulley and the mounting face is 1/4". I wouldn't have any problem facing off .050-.060" but if .030" would work, do that instead. Take a minimum cut as possible. Using a lathe would be easier imo. A true running 3 jaw chuck and make sure the face is running 0 using a dial indicator then break the corner, no sharp edges after the face is machined.

Machining the fan wouldn't gain me anything and the bolts are not the problem, the pulley is 1/4" thick so I think I will talk to a machine shop and see if 1/16" is doable....if not advised I guess electric fans it is. Thanks for all the comments it really helps a guy out.

I talked it over with some guys and we are concerned that March made the mounting surface a 1/4" for a reason and if I cut it down it still won't be ideal and might weaken it enough that it would fail with the fan setup mounted.
20160225_124335.jpg

Also I am not sure how the fan setup will fit as I plan on putting a 4 core radiator in which will be 5/8" wider then stock. I think I have to many unknowns to throw any more money at my fan setup, electric fans would probably just be easier. When I get the Hemi installed I will revisit things and maybe come up with another plan. Thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have one more question for Cranky and you guys. Could a guy take my aluminum pulley to a machine shop and have a duplicate made out of steel which could have a thinner mounting surface? Is that doable or would it be to costly? Also if one pulley is steel and the other on that belt is billet aluminum would that matter?

Sometimes I wish I had just purchased v pulleys. :BangHead:

I would think it would be fairly costly to make a pulley......but mixing aluminum and steel in the same system shouldn't present a problem. On your radiator....you might do some research on using a 4 core. The tubes in a 4 core will be pretty small vs a 3 or even a 2 core and large tubes are usually more efficient. I really didn't believe that until I needed to replace the factory 2 core rad in my Dakota. A buddy gave me an aluminum single core with 1 1/4" tubes but I was reluctant to use it but thought why not give it a shot. Even when the truck was new, the temp would rise sitting in traffic in the summer time but not anymore. Also, by the time the air passes over the 4th core, it's getting pretty hot and to the point it doesn't do much good. Do some reading and then make a decision.....

If your considering using a steel pulley maybe an oem type pulley could be adapted? I would take a trip to the local auto wreckers and take a look. Just a thought....

Auto Transport Service
Back