• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi waterpump and pulley issues.

aldal

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
I have an Edelbrock Victor Series mechanical water pump that I was trying to bench fit my March serpentine waterpump pulley and Hayden vicous fan set up. My problem is when the pulley is fitted there isn't much room left to fit the clutch fan setup. Exactly how much of the waterpump shaft should ideally fit inside the clutch fan?

20160121_111238_LLS.jpg
20160121_111713_LLS.jpg Is this enough?
20160121_111730_LLS.jpg

"Ideally" as much as possible. Real world, enough to project past the chamfered edge of counterbore in the clutch and center it.

If there is enough room can I press the mounting pad on the Edelbrock pump down farther or what does a guy do?
20160121_115923_LLS.jpg Did a measurement with numbers from Edelbrock and it seems to be at the correct depth.

Attachments

• 20160121_115909_LLS.jpg
    20160121_115909_LLS.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
It would be nice to see a bit more protruding beyond the pulley than the picture indicates. The clutch is "hub centric" and the shaft aids in alignment so there is a certain amount of shaft extension required to accomplish this. Check the depth of the recess of the clutch assembly and possibly an OE pump for shaft length. Perhaps Edelbrock has a different pump for your application or screwed-up in design. Or maybe their pump is not meant to house a clutch fan. Call them and explain your dilemma. Even the smallest amount of vibration at the fan can lead to future disaster especially at higher RPM's when the pump shaft can break from fatique.

Last edited:
If there is enough room can I press the mounting pad on the Edelbrock pump down farther or what does a guy do?

Have you mocked it up to look at pulley alignment yet? Pressing the mounting pad down could work but it will affect alignment.

Have you mocked it up to look at pulley alignment yet? Pressing the mounting pad down could work but it will affect alignment.

No I don't even have my block or anything ordered yet, I was just messing around with my parts.

I did that on my BB but the only thing attached to the pump shaft was the drive pulley. I use an electric fan and I needed clearance for the rear of the drive motor. You do get into a lot off issues with pulley alignment and I ended up substituting the pump pulley for a GM one that was shallower in depth and allowed the pulley flange to be pressed back 3/16 inch to get the right alignment with the rest of the pulleys. Surprisingly the GM pulley has the exact same bolt pattern and bore size - the diameter was 1/4 inch smaller and that worked to my advantage by speeding up the water pump ever so slightly. A new drive belt was required but the length was easy to figure out and ended up being the next length shorter that the company makes. I'd still call Edelbrock on this issue as it may be surprising what you learn from them regarding the pump and it's application(s).

I called Edelbrock and they told me I could press it on more so I pressed it on flush to the shoulder (which you could not see in the first pictures but it was about 1/16" from being flush) and that gained me enough I think I'm ok. Thanks for the help, Al

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back