• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need measurement, `70 road runner quarter panel length.

torredcuda

Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
Can someone measure thier quarter panel from edge of door jamb to edge of extension right along the top edge? I am doing final fitting and my AMD panel seems to be just a bit long making my door gap too tight. I`m not sure if I just need to adjust it back a bit or it`s longer than factory and I need to hammer and dolly the front edge shorter?

I could measure mine for you, but mine is a replacement AMD panel as well, so I'm not sure that would help you?

Let me know if you still want the measurement from my car (this one).
IMG_5117.JPG

It may help as production runs can vary due to tool set up and wear, every car may not be the same whether factory or AMD quarter but at least it will give me an average to go on.

OK. I will work to get you a measurement by the end of the day. At the moment, my 70 is up on the lift and I need to move crap to lower it.

By the way, is your car a post or hardtop car? If it is a post car, it might be good to have the reference of the quarter panel placement relative to the post.

Also, as another possibility: Could your door be too far back?

Post car. Door and fender gaps were pretty good before I cut it apart, there may be some room to adjust if needed but there is a gap between the new quarter and where it is welded tot he door jamb so either the quarter needs to go back or the quarter is a bit too long.

its not really about overall length per say....... you need to line it up at the front of the trunk opening where it makes the turn to the dutchman and lines up with the trunk lid / rear window....... the wheel house will also limit your front and back movement......... line all these things up as best you can and it will show you where to modify

door may need to move a little, if the fender will allow it...... but the fender also needs to line up at the front of the hood and a decent gap at the cowl

Last edited:
I always start with trunk lid, doors, fenders, and hood in place, but this is the critical area / starting point

67.jpg

Last edited:
its not really about overall length per say....... you need to line it up at the front of the trunk opening where it makes the turn to the dutchman and lines up with the trunk lid....... the wheel house will also limit your front and back movement......... line all these things up as best you can and it will show you where to modify

door may need to move a little, if the fender will allow it...... but the fender also needs to line up at the front of the hood and a decent gap at the cowl
... what he said. Where does the rest of the quarter line up with everything else ? adjust one side, you affect another side. How is the fit to the dutchman/trunk opening, rear body panel, wheelhouse, and lock pillar ?

Everything is still in place, dutchman panel lines up good, I just wanted to confirm what I am seeing in that the front edge is about an 1/8" too far forward.

Everything is still in place, dutchman panel lines up good, I just wanted to confirm what I am seeing in that the front edge is about an 1/8" too far forward.

if you can sneak the fender and door forward an 1/8, problem solved I guess..... you may need to sneak the hood forward also...... a somewhat wider gap at the back of the hood to cowl is normal

this also starts to affect the other side, so both quarters in mock up helps a lot......... a 1/16 here and a 1/32 there helps sneak up on it

I spend a lot of time on mock up alignment of all the panels before any welding

Last edited:
Yes, I will get both quarters in place and check all the lines and gaps before any welding but I really don`t want to adjust everything forward to compensate. If the quarter panel is longer than a factory one I would rather re-work the edge shorter.

I really don`t want to adjust everything forward to compensate.

just have an open mind, it may need it; and it doesn't take much........for some reason @HawkRod 's Road Runner had very tight gaps everywhere; TOO tight........ doing the rear sheet metal required correcting all of that first......... now is the time

Here are my measurements if it helps.

#1, below the body line. Note the tape does not follow the body line exactly since the car is curved - the clip and tape at the door is just below the body line in the picture below.
20230427_104759.jpg

With that setup, here is the measurement:
20230427_104805.jpg

#2, above the body line. Like for the first set of shots, the tape does not follow the body line exactly since the car is curved - the clip and tape at the door is just above the body line in the picture below.
20230427_104830.jpg

20230427_104838.jpg

Whoa, this brings back memories for sure. My AMD quarters were a mess and lining them up was a challenge. I only had a fiberglass aftermarket trunk lid which made it even more challenging. I do, however, have another car with original quarters to measure from which was priceless. I’ll measure mine tonight and see how it compares to Hawks as variations exist even on factory cars.

Here are my measurements if it helps.

#1, below the body line. Note the tape does not follow the body line exactly since the car is curved - the clip and tape at the door is just below the body line in the picture below.
View attachment 1456529

View attachment 1456530

#2, above the body line. Like for the first set of shots, the tape does not follow the body line exactly since the car is curved - the clip and tape at the door is just above the body line in the picture below.
View attachment 1456531

View attachment 1456532
Mine are actually shorter than that around 86 1/4-86 3/8", no wonder you lines were too tight.

Forget the tape measure already. Does your quarter panel mate to the flanges on the lock pillar, outer wheelhouse, floor extension, rear body panel, and dutchman panel ?

Auto Transport Service
Back