• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need opinions/advice on this 72 Roadrunner

ETD66SS

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
I am mulling over driving to take a look at this car: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=8362B...B9554136A45F&group=0&authkey=!AJ83AIffzTb7hIE

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=8362B...B9554136A45F&group=0&authkey=!AJ83AIffzTb7hIE

Current asking price is $15,900. I guess my main concern is the quality of the previous restoration, there could be a lot of hidden problems, along with the fact the bodywork is quite horrific in areas, it would need to be stripped down to bare metal and repainted again to fix all the visible problems, and uncover the hidden ones.

If I go look at the car and it holds up to the pictures (Isn't any worse in person), I am thinking I'd only want to offer about $10,500 - $11,000 at most seeing all the issues. Would that kind of offer be considered an insult?

I wouldn't buy it at all. If you have to strip the car down, what are you buying? You can pay more for a better car, and be miles ahead. Or you can buy a car that needs restored for much less money, and do it to the level you want.

I wouldn't buy it at all. If you have to strip the car down, what are you buying? You can pay more for a better car, and be miles ahead. Or you can buy a car that needs restored for much less money, and do it to the level you want.

What you say really does make sense, however the "better car" option is too expensive for me, the a project car is not a good idea atm. I'm stuck unfortunately...

did you happen to see the body panel fitment on that car? it will undoubtedly have to be taken completely apart and started from scratch. i wouldn't buy it either.

did you happen to see the body panel fitment on that car? it will undoubtedly have to be taken completely apart and started from scratch. i wouldn't buy it either.

Yes, I agree. IMO, it seems like the current owner may have bought a car that will be hard to sell due to the amateur restoration. (Current owner is not the one who restored it.)

little things like the hack job on the trunk lid, and nice door panels with speakers hacked in make me wonder what is under the shiney paint. I'd keep looking.

pass, spend 5g more and get some of the really nice ones i've seen for sale lately. even at 10k you'll spend more than that fixing someones else mistakes

I agree with everyone I would avoid this car. There's a lot of crap work under that paint job I see bondo rust holes they didn't even bother to bondo , and I love the hack job I'm sure there's tons more bad work hideing. Save your money you buy this you'll bee dumping at least another $10000 to make it nice as stated for 14-17 k you can get a very nice car don't waist your money or time wait for the next one you'll be happy you did

Sure would have been nice to have seen at least some of the vin# to document the RR statment. Looks like a clone to me to much Satellite Sebring Plus stuff on this car to be a real RR.

How far to go look in person? Look and negotiate. I don't remember how those pieces fit when the cars were new. As long as you don't need a hood or grille (like the over-priced ones listed here) you will be about 5 grand to the good.
Add door handles. A hood, door handle, grill, windshield, and rechromed bumpers can cost many thousands according to the adds on here. Hell, doorhandles, windshield, grill, and hood could be listed for 10,000 grand.

Last edited:
Sure would have been nice to have seen at least some of the vin# to document the RR statment. Looks like a clone to me to much Satellite Sebring Plus stuff on this car to be a real RR.
So there's a vin tag. Still just from what can be seen there is way to much stuff not belonging on this car and way to much that should be on it missing. What other information is the owner willing to provide like history.

It's in the forsale section here:

72 Roadrunner

72 Roadrunner original RM Hemi Orange car. 71k miles, A good driver that shows well at local cruise nights. Car is not numbers matching although the 400 is rebuilt and runs well with a purple 284/484 cam and headers. Had an amateur restoration done by previous owner and it shows up close. Has mud in the quarters ect but it shines up nice and is a good driver. A few things to finish it up and it will be a great cruiser.

Looking for around 17k

New Parts
PST Tubular Upper control Arms
PST steering linkage
Upper / Lower Ball Joints
Control Arm Bushings
Firm Feel stage 2 steering box
Front rotors
Rear wheel cylinders
Brakes front / rear
Front Wheel bearings
Front / rear Helwig Sway Bars
3:23 rear gears
Detroit Locker Limited slip
Aluminum Radiator
2800 Stall Fairbanks Torque Convertor
New Transmission lines
Door & window Seals
Speedometer cable
Distributor / ignition / harness ect
Gas tank / sending unit
17x8 & 17X9 REV Classic wheels
Rebuilt 400 With purple cam
Edelbrock dual plane Aluminum Intake
Quick Fuel 750 4 barrel carb
Hi-torque starter

The "not so goods"

Dash pad cracked, door panels old.
Carpet is ok but could use a new one to fit better.
Rear main leaks
Transmission Leaks
Drivers side window guides dried and need replaced
bondo in quarters
Paint is ok, good for a driver
Blemish on Roof stripe
71 Grill
Not the correct rear spoiler

Name: 00g0g_f8bWGh9Zn6p_600x450 - Copy.jpg Views: 722 Size: 41.4 KBName: 00P0P_5bREKd9SUj6_600x450 - Copy.jpg Views: 712 Size: 31.6 KBName: 00s0s_bdKvainwvXH_600x450.jpg Views: 711 Size: 22.0 KBName: 00U0U_55k8JWdURwA_600x450.jpg Views: 712 Size: 37.9 KBName: 00X0X_4u1mqkoD6AT_600x450.jpg Views: 711 Size: 15.6 KBName: 00z0z_ghT45iCzvwE_600x450.jpg Views: 710 Size: 40.5 KB

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Thanks Given Rate Seller

I think the big question is what is your goal? Are you wanting a perfectly restored car? A show car? A good-looking daily driver? If your goal is one of the first two, you should definitely pass on this car as it'll cost you more to get the body stripped down, sheet metal replaced, new paint, and getting the interior up to standard than it would to just get a car that someone else dumped all that cash into and wants to get out from under.

If your goal is to have a great car to drive around and have fun in, then this would be a good car to pick up. Yes, it has some issues, but a good P&B guy can correct those minor flaws for a reasonable price, especially if you shop around a bit. And there's not a damn thing wrong with Bondo! It's been an accepted repair for 50 years. No, it's not original sheet metal, but if you're not restoring it who cares? As long as it looks good, it's good to go.

The market values I'm seeing on a good driver like this are between $8,000 and $10,000, and this is a very desirable body and interior color car, bucket seat/console car, and big block (although the least desirable big block), which places it at the upper edge of that range. I would suggest offering $8,000 and negotiate your way up to $11,000 if you have to.

I'm guessing by his asking price he knows that's about what the car is worth and he's gone high so he has some room to negotiate down.

Yep. When you see the words "engine" and "disassembled", that's a project. :)

I think the big question is what is your goal? Are you wanting a perfectly restored car? A show car? A good-looking daily driver?

What I am after is a driver that I would drive until my 66 SS 396 Chevelle is done. Then this driver would become the next restoration project. Having said that, I really don't want someone elses bondobucket. I hate to use the term "survivor", as that is abused as much as "barn find" these days, but the less someone has messed with the car, the more interested I'd be. And this cars restoration looks to me like a larger detriment to it than if it was never restored in the first place.

Auto Transport Service
Back