• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need reputable transmission shop in southern calfornia/ 727 guru

The balance is the engine. Nothing inside the trans need balancing. The factory did balance externally balanced engines via converter.

If you have a externally balanced engine, get a weighted flexplate and neutral balance converter. Internally balanced, none of this balance stuff talk matters, all neutral stuff.

SB, I don't recall any of the 60's SB's being anything but internally balanced.

Last edited:
The balance is the engine. Nothing inside the trans need balancing. The factory did balance externally balanced engines via converter.

If you have a externally balanced engine, get a weighted flexplate and neutral balance converter. Internally balanced, none of this balance stuff talk matters, all neutral stuff.
OK well then I think mine is balanced externally then. I just know the trans shop I was talking to said that the quote they gave me included rebuilding and balancing the converter. Or maybe they just said rebuilding it. Now I forget.

I appreciate the confidence you have in me but I think rebuilding myself may just too much for me to take on at the moment. I don't have a lift, it will probably be a struggle to get the trans in and out, and on top of that I'm totally lost with all this transmission stuff and would be worried I'd mess something up.

If you follow the book it's pretty easy. First build will be slow. You can make any special tools you need.
Doug

Compressing the drum spring is the toughest part of the deal without a tool. I've used C clamps before Until I made a copy of the compressing tool.

The Video is super easy to follow as well. There is an australian shop that has or had a complete rebuild series on youtube. Search it out.

Was easy to find...

Keep everything aligned by sub-components. Even drop then in small totes.

JMO, you can screw this up 3 times for the cost of one trans from a builder. Be clean and thorough and it an easy deal. If you can build an engine, you can do a TF trans. Look at northern auto for the rebuild kit. Bands from oregon trans and some of the other hard parts from TCS.

I doubt you'll need more than a basic rebuild and maybe a shift kit on a poly 318. Unless it's boosted and on juice! :)

Easiest auto to rebuild of the big 3 IMO.

Last edited:
Head east to Lancaster, home of Pro Trans. They do tf's only. Mopar dudes to boot. They race what they sell.

I can’t speak to them personally, but I have a couple of close friends (racin fellas) that will go nowhere else. Mind you, we are clear across the country - they’re that good (or so I hear)

I can’t speak to them personally, but I have a couple of close friends (racin fellas) that will go nowhere else. Mind you, we are clear across the country - they’re that good (or so I hear)
I think they shut down there Lancaster location a couple years back. or so it seems, no one was answering there phone, and there website was last updated in 2014.

I’ll second a1 good place
I've had the guys at A-1 (Buena Park) rebuild a couple of 727 for me over the years. They've done a basic overhaul as well as a slightly modified rebuild. The trans in my Charger right now was done by them. My dad recently had the A518 in his Ram rebuilt there too. It might be a little out of the way for you, but it's the only place I've had good experiences with.

http://www.a1transmissionservice.net/

Auto Transport Service
Back