• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help

68HAVOK

Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know out there if anyone builds crate 383's? All I can find is 440's, and Hemi's. Do I just have to buy a 383 and build it?

Good point, I haven't seen or heard of anyone either. I am assuming since the cost is about the same, most builders and buyers go for the full banana.

Odd to me that nobody would build crate 383's. One of the best high reving engines.

Try Carolina Machine Engines, cmengines.com. They will supply an assembled, dyno tested crate engine. They have a good reputation and the prices are reasonable. I haven't used them myself, but did seriously consider them before building my own.

I don't know where in CA you are, but I have seen some recent C.L. ads in L.A. & O.C. for rebuilt 383s. You might want to have a look. Just search "Mopar".

That's all I find when I search 383 is Chevy stuff. Frustrating. ..

I built my 383 by choosing parts that were reasonably priced, that would give me the most horsepower. I ended up spending about $3000 for the entire build. Very happy with it, and the reason I didn't go for the 440 was fuel consumption, not that the 383 is efficient!

Auto Transport Service
Back