• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need to know 1970 gtx torque converter

hill

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 gtx with 440 and 727 TF. When i bought the car there was no torque converter or flex plat I am getting ready to put the motor and trans in and i need to know what i need as far as the converter goes. The parts store said there were 2 different ones an 11in and a 12in. any one know what the deal is with that.

The smaller of the two is the performance convertor. Check behind boat cars, trucks, regular performance cars, and you'll find the big convertor.

so what your saying is i need the 11in

Call Phoenix. Tell them what you want, and that's what you'll get. They build their converters in house

Is there only 1 flex plate for the 440 727TF or does it depend on the torque converter size. The best i can remember there is only 1 for that combo

Nope, there're actually two. One for each size. I know I have an extra large one laying out in the garage, but I think the only small one I have is in the car. If I have one of each, I'll take a pic of both and post them side by side

Thats good to know! Now i need to get the smaller one and the 11in converter
Oyea are the splines the same for the 2 converters

First of all, welcome to FBBO hill! Choosing a convertor for your setup isn't difficult but unless I missed something, I don't know much about your drivetrain (besides it being a 440/727) and what you are going to be doing with the car in terms of its intended use - street, street/strip, etc. Can you give us more info and besides just motor/trans specs, possibly include gear ratio, tire size, etc.)?

OK I just found out i need a 2800 stall How do I tell if the motor in external balanced or internal balanced. The motor was rebuild when i got it and no specs were given so i pulled the cam , heads and the oil pan. The crank looks cast but has been balanced along with the new rods with 0.30 dome pistons. The cam is 284/296. Dont know the gear ratio (will change if needed not worry about that right now)

How did you find out you "need" a 2800 stall? A cast crank 440 will have a thick balancer and can (for cubic dollars) be internally balanced. The cast and forged crank motors use the same rods btw

How did you find out you "need" a 2800 stall? A cast crank 440 will have a thick balancer and can (for cubic dollars) be internally balanced. The cast and forged crank motors use the same rods btw

I pulled the cam and ran the numbers on it. It is a comp cam. When you say thick how thick. I called the those guys on the stall and He looked it up and said I need external balance so that what they sent

Okie dokie. Makes sense to me. The forged cranks have a (relatively) thin balancer that is probably about 1 1/4" thick and is "even". The cast balancer is thicker and (if you look at the front) is asymmetrical....and probably says cast crank on it as well:grin:

Auto Transport Service
Back