• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque converter issues

BamaCharger66

Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Okay, I’ve put a few torque converters on in my life. But, I had to walk away from the garage tonight.
I did just read a few comments on other guys having problems. And I ran across a gentleman saying 1966 splines are different that 1967 (big block). If this is the case, that is my problem. I snatched a ‘67 727 out and tried to mate my old ‘66 converter to it. Not happening! Even after 20 or so tries!

Size of the input shaft is different, too. '67 and up is larger than '66 and down. You can actually put a '67-newer torque converter on a '66-older transmission by mistake. It won't go anywhere, however, because the driven element in the converter will just spin around the smaller input shaft.

You can swap the input shaft and reaction shaft support from the 66. 15 minute job.
Doug

The 67 converter will make it move for about a minute... until it grinds out the splines...
Is what I've witnessed

Auto Transport Service
Back