• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Net Out 440 vs Hemi in 68 Charger

Evoking

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I keep vacillating on whether to go Hemi or not. My 68 has a 360 in it now. Want around 500hp and awesome sound of course. I am leaning toward a Blueprint stroked 440 to 493 with 525 hp and 600 lb-ft from carb to pan for $8500. The only mod I would have to make is a new 727 with flange that will fit the big block or go with 4spd.

As far as I know there is not a Hemi that will come close for this side of $20k correct? Plus even an older Hemi would require modifications to fit is that true? I can also add fuel injection to the 493 for an extra $1k from Blueprint.

So if I have all of this correct, I am curious of what if any advantages of going to a Hemi - any Hemi for that matter?

Hemi's cost more because they're Hemi's. In my opinion, there is A LOT more horsepower to be had with a Hemi, but if your goal is 500hp, then the 440 is much cheaper.

There are only a few items that you'd need to change to drop in a 426-type Hemi vs. a 440. All I can think of off the top of my head is an offset bracket & small dual diaphragm brake booster (I think...not sure) to clear the driver's valve cover which aren't needed with a 440.

Hemi's cost more because they're Hemi's. In my opinion, there is A LOT more horsepower to be had with a Hemi, but if your goal is 500hp, then the 440 is much cheaper.

There are only a few items that you'd need to change to drop in a 426-type Hemi vs. a 440. All I can think of off the top of my head is an offset bracket & small dual diaphragm brake booster (I think...not sure) to clear the driver's valve cover which aren't needed with a 440.

So you're saying the main difference between a 426 is just the engine cost difference - which is around $12k. No small $ but I wonder if it would be worth more than $12k more than the 493 car... Or is it diminishing returns over such a very well built Big Block...

So you're saying the main difference between a 426 is just the engine cost difference - which is around $12k. No small $ but I wonder if it would be worth more than $12k more than the 493 car... Or is it diminishing returns over such a very well built Big Block...

Sort of. The heads are completely different and that's where you'd have a much easier time hitting the 800hp mark (with the Hemi heads), but you're only looking for 500hp. If you have an original Hemi car, then the extra $12k is worth it if you plan to sell the car. Otherwise, for 500hp, go 440.

Sort of. The heads are completely different and that's where you'd have a much easier time hitting the 800hp mark (with the Hemi heads), but you're only looking for 500hp. If you have an original Hemi car, then the extra $12k is worth it if you plan to sell the car. Otherwise, for 500hp, go 440.

That is what I was thinking. Not trying to turn it into a drag champion so not sure I need 800. Thanks for the perspective.

Also...the headache of a hemi versus the reliability/consistency of a well built 440...

You may want to also look at all the accessory parts pricing for a hemi...battery cables, spark pug wires etc..it adds up fast..

If you want an awesome crate 440 these are the guys to go to
http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/

Also...the headache of a hemi versus the reliability/consistency of a well built 440...

You may want to also look at all the accessory parts pricing for a hemi...battery cables, spark pug wires etc..it adds up fast..

If you want an awesome crate 440 these are the guys to go to
http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/

The muscle motors racing 440 output is the same as the Blueprint below. It may seem $1500 cheaper but does not include carburetor... See the specs of the Blueprint...

http://www.blueprintengines.com/ind...493-main/item/chrysler-493-dressed-bpc4931ctc

The muscle motors racing 440 output is the same as the Blueprint below. It may seem $1500 cheaper but does not include carburetor... See the specs of the Blueprint...

http://www.blueprintengines.com/ind...493-main/item/chrysler-493-dressed-bpc4931ctc
I am very familiar with both vendors.....I cannot knock either but one I have seen first hand proof of what they are about and multiple friends that have/had MM in heir cars....

I have heard good things about BP but I personally don't know anyone that has one. The warranty is nice and the dyno of each motor is an added plus. However, warranties are great until you have to inquire about it....

If your looking for wow factor go with a 6 pak on a 440, next best thing to a hemi and about 5K cheaper.

So why is this thread in the "new hemi" section? Just asking the question.

So why is this thread in the "new hemi" section? Just asking the question.
It's a hemi... and to him, it's "new" ? Maybe ? Maybe not ? (Seriously, to the OP, just ask yourself it you want to be out an additional $12k just to say it's got a Hemi ? )

I understand, just curious. Maybe Joey could set up a spot the big dog 426?!

Auto Transport Service
Back