• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never thought I would see the day that someone would think a Hemi Cuda hard top would be worth this kind of money. Not even the 1st one.

Funny thing is Plymouth beat the Ford Mustang to market with the Barracuda by a couple of weeks or so, but Ford's PR campaign was massive! Ford dealers had their showroom windows covered to keep the public interest in the debut high. Plymouth dealers had a very lackluster debut, by contrast.

Had Chrysler offered up the Valiant Charger as a replacement for the A-body for the 1970MY, while simultaneously debuting the E-body; think what THAT could've been like! Who knows how that would've changed the course of auto manufacturing in Australia, and at the same time, improved Chrysler's position in the US and Canada?
Unfortunately for us, the huge glass fastback Valiant Barracuda didn't look anywhere near as sporty as the Mustang. The Barracuda looked like a Valiant with a huge glass fastback tacked on while the Mustang looked...unique and sporty - nothing like it's Falcon roots. If you liked the convertible Mustang you wouldn't find a comparable Barracuda for a couple more years. Of course you could always have ordered a Valiant convertible...

It's too bad Plymouth didn't have such a massive PR campaign of it's own.

I don’t agree with everything the author said by a long shot and the Aussie Charger getting mentioned is just funny to me but compared to the success of the Duster in terms of sales the E-Body was a joke and by 1975 the E-Bodies were no more. I do believe if Chrysler would have dropped the A-Body completely the E-Body would have been a lot more successful but I could be wrong.
If Chrysler had dropped one of their big success stories (Duster sold 217,192 in it's first year alone, not counting the rest of Valiant and Dart sales) to prop up the sales of the E-body? That would have been a pretty big gamble for them.

Dodge sold 85,000 Challengers in 1970,compared to 48,000 Barracudas. The Challengers were nearly double in sales every year they were built. It's funny how the Barracuda is more popular now but back in the day that wasn't the case.

If Chrysler had dropped one of their big success stories (Duster sold 217,192 in it's first year alone, not counting the rest of Valiant and Dart sales) to prop up the sales of the E-body? That would have been a pretty big gamble for them.
I’m just saying if they would have dropped the A body period for 70 I wonder if the sales for the E bodies would have greatly increased. It’s crazy how the 70 duster basically outsold everything Chrysler had in the two-door lineup But now, when you tell somebody you have a duster, they are like yawwwwn.

I’m just saying if they would have dropped the A body period for 70 I wonder if the sales for the E bodies would have greatly increased. It’s crazy how the 70 duster basically outsold everything Chrysler had in the two-door lineup But now, when you tell somebody you have a duster, they are like yawwwwn.
No they wouldn't have as the Duster was way cheaper and likely outsold the E Body on price just as they sold a ton of RR's. I think the 340 Duster base price was around $2500 new.

I talked to a owner of a 50+ year dealership at a MATS show.
His statement was "The E-body cars rattled,shook,hard to get into and the doors were always miss aligned and sounded terrible when closing.
So many complaints from E body owners that bought them new.I don't know what the hype about them is now."

I talked to a owner of a 50+ year dealership at a MATS show.
His statement was "The E-body cars rattled,shook,hard to get into and the doors were always miss aligned and sounded terrible when closing.
So many complaints from E body owners that bought them new.I don't know what the hype about them is now."
They are great to look at, but were not so great to drive daily when they were just cars. Case in point - the member who sold me my former Hemi GTX had a Challenger as his first Mopar back when they were still affordable. After he bought it he found out it virtually impossible to do a wheelchair transfer with it, and sold the car a month later. He switched to second generation Chargers, and had no issues. Chrysler quality control wasn't the greatest back in the day, but I remember the E bodies being especially bad. But like rare baseball cards, their fragile nature left a small number of valuable examples.

I have owned E body cars since the mid eighties and there are a lot of things that you live with as an e body owner, but they are worth living with the issues. The convertible version actually drives better with less clunkers and rattles,my guess is because they flex more without having a roof. Since I bought my first one, I have always had one.

In 1982, I owned a '70 Challenger 340 4-speed car. A/C, 14" steel wheels w/full wheelcovers, AM, and the beauty of it - Bronze metallic paint, black vinyl top, and bronze interior. The PO, a friend I went through aircrew training with, decided it was a good idea to put a bullet through his head one evening. About three months later, I found out his estate had the car for sale, and I got it for $450. It was a very fun car, but it had more rattles in it than a toddler's playpen. It drove very well, despite all that. I've owned five other E-bodies (all 'Cudas) through the '80s and early '90s. They were really no better than the '70 Challenger, and age didn't help them at all. The only E-bodies that don't rattle are the rotissorie-restorations, where the quality control and care in assembly is far greater than any E-body that came off the line.

Another example is a 340 Challenger my brother-in-law was working on at a dealer in Lakewood, Colorado back in 1971. The engine blew up with just 8K miles on it. Warranty 340 went back in, and the customer was happy. What caused the damage was foreign object debris, or FOD. Someone at the engine assembly plant apparently thought it would be great fun to leave a tool in the pan, so the story went.

I've only owned one E-body, but I wouldn't mind having a plum crazy AAR Cuda.

15631_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

A guy I know bought a 71 Cuda 340 4 speed shaker hood car with under 20k original miles on it. When he bought it the car had a warranty 340 engine that had a rod hanging out the bottom of the oil pan. He said the previous owner had bought the car new and blew up three 340 engines, after Plymouth put the third warranty engine in the car,they told him no more. He parked it in a barn until my friend bought it.

I have owned my 71 convertible since June 1972. The body panel gaps are terrible. The top when up and driving squeaks and rattles. The seats are uncomfortable on long distance trips the older I get. Stopping distance with the 11" drum brakes is long. the car does draw the looks whenever I drive it. Fun. I've owned 9 or 10 Challengers.
Terry W.

Photo331 (Medium) (Small).jpg

Photo328 (Large).jpg

I have owned my 71 convertible since June 1972. The body panel gaps are terrible. The top when up and driving squeaks and rattles. The seats are uncomfortable on long distance trips the older I get. Stopping distance with the 11" drum brakes is long. the car does draw the looks whenever I drive it. Fun. I've owned 9 or 10 Challengers.
Terry W.

View attachment 1418491

View attachment 1418492
Love the B5 blue.

20210915_171016.jpg

20221001_151456.jpg

I have three of them, a 71 340 Cuda hardtop, a 70 plum crazy purple 383 Challenger convertible, and my 71 Challenger convertible that was a 318 car,but now has a 71 383 Magnum from a 71 Charger SE. It has power top,power windows and AC.

20221015_164702.jpg

20220522_130902.jpg

20220501_200829.jpg

20220501_215922.jpg

I've had alot of E-bodies and although they don't feel as bulletproof as a B-body they didn't have rattles in any of them. The doors sound terrible when you close them but that's about it. My wife's overrated POS in this photo does squeek and rattle though and it was engineered and assembled by a "superior" company 40 years later.

benz1.JPG

Was this some sort of pilot car? If not, then what happened to the standard `Cuda goodies such as hood pins, and fog lamps?
I’ll look for the write up in this car, but here’s the facts that I can remember. It did not start out as what you see here, I believe it was a BH Barracuda, and like the ad says, it was sent over to be disassembled to write the warranty repair book, when it was reassembled, a different list of parts were added to finish the warranty book to include those options. Then it was destined to be destroyed, but instead was given the VIN you see on it, and sent to Poinsette Motors, a small dealership in northern Indiana to be quietly sold. Not even the factory would destroy a Hemi car when they could get some money for it, although they did scrap more than a few pilot cars back in those days. A buddy of mine worked at the proving grounds for his entire career, and lots of cars were wrecked there and set out back for reference, should something come up on a car line that had to be addressed. He told me that a couple guys got fired and he was demoted to midnifht shift for using a few of those Dakota R/T’s and putting together a yard dog. It didn’t help that they flipped the truck, and the EPA was called in due to the leaking fluids from the accident, which blew the whistle on their escapades.

Auto Transport Service
Back