• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New build. 505"

They use good stuff, I didn’t have a single complaint about my 470 kit.
Nice! The engine guy will check the other stuff, I'm not really set up to measure for journal taper and stuff like that. So far so good..

like that piston design
and saving over 300 grams=outstanding
Ya it's obviously not a direct bobweight comparison but still...Lighter ees more better!

Last edited:
505ci 440 Source rotating assembly, light weight crank and the ARP2000 rod bolts. 78cc head on a zero-deck block with a 4.380” head gasket for 10.63:1 compression ratio. Trick flow top end kit, intake is from Keith Wilson, 950 QF Black Diamond carb.
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
c3.jpg
d4.jpg
e5.jpg

View attachment 929609

Last edited:
another nice shape on the piston dish and good margin to keep the rings cool
whose pistons and did you mention cc's and deck clearence

Last edited:
otoh nice main caps
I did a lot of those

ARE WE MISSING SOME POSTS?
inquireing minds want to know

Last edited:
otoh nice main caps
I did a lot of those

ARE WE MISSING SOME POSTS?
inquireing minds want to know
Yes Richard and I deleted a couple to avoid confusing people. Doin' our best to keep FBBO high speed/low drag!

I haven’t heard someone say “high speed, low drag” since I was in the Army.

Thought I'd update this....brought the short block home from the shop a few days ago. I'm waiting for my timing set and a few other goodies and then I can degree the cam in and start buttoning things up. I'll get it painted and then it will sit until I decide to do 'the swap'...when that happens the car will be down for a bit while I get the heads cleaned up, measure for new pushrods, stuff like that.
Clearances came in at .003 mains/.0027 rods/.022 rod side play
.005 piston-to-wall/crank thrust is .007
A wise mopar guy whose name starts with a D and ends with a V and a W once said, "if your clearance is loose you'll know, if you're tight everyone will know"....so I'm satisfied with the numbers.
As far as the 440 Source kit, the machinist reported very good fit and sizing as far as the
rods/pins/crankshaft. He did kiss the bottoms of the bores for some extra breathing room, even though he said it may not have been necessary, he just felt better about it. The oil pump boss needed a lick as well...other than that it went together nicely.

20200428_201223.jpg

20200505_201821.jpg

20200506_184801.jpg

20200506_184811.jpg

P.S....
Another tidbit of info from the machinist. To get the decks square and the pistons to zero, he cut between .008 and .016....the pistons by spec are .010 in the hole with a factory deck height, so the decks actually varied from .002 under to .006 over the factory spec to start with.

Last edited:
I love it when everything is fresh and clean.

[QUOTE="beanhead,
A wise mopar guy whose name starts with a D and ends with a V and a W once said, "if your clearance is loose you'll know, if you're tight everyone will know"....

Funny I heard that same thing today when I was picking up my block from the shop

Got the cam (spec'd by PRH--thanks Dwayne) in and degreed. Of course, there were tight bearing issues. Had to break out an old 'cutter cam', oh well it turns smooth with just finger power on the bolt heads now. (Dura Bond PDP-17s). It didn't spin for **** at first. What else is new in big-block mopar land:rolleyes:
Anyways with the cloyes race billet timing set it fell right in at the card specs on the zero dot position..and good times were had by all.

20200429_141940.jpg

20200513_215722.jpg

20200513_220355.jpg

Last edited:
Cam specs?
Custom Comp solid flat tappet. The card, with all my chickin' scratch....
20200514_142326.jpg

I tend to go overboard with the checking but I enjoy the degreeing process...quality time lol. I checked durations at .100 and .200 and more timing points on both lobes but it looks like I didn't write those down...like I said, a little overboard!

Last edited:
I always enjoyed doing the cams on my drag bike. Twice the fun. 110/114

Auto Transport Service
Back