• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New build. 505"

With 505 Rb and trick flow heads 600hp well let's just say it's so easy a caveman can do it
With the unported versions, what neighborhood of compression and cam specs? Carb size and style? Looking for specifics, for no reason other than general knowledge.

The Trick Flows comes ported. So you are not comparing apples to apples.

The Trick Flows comes ported. So you are not comparing apples to apples.
Oh okay, I was mistaken I thought there was one that wasn't...no wonder!

A little follow-up...

The block went to the machine shop this week so I figured I better get my sheeat together... Looked good after tanking and magnaflux check so got the 440 Source 512 kit incoming as of today. As noted earlier, I'm shooting for 10 to 1 SCR after squaring and milling for zero deck. The builder will be giving it a shot-peening, line honing with the ARP main studs as well as fitting and installing the rotating assembly, all the other necessary machine work, cam bearings and a good final cleaning. (all the fun stuff right?)
Cam is ordered up also; a solid flat tappet 250/[email protected], .555/.567 lift on a 112 LSA, spec'd and provided by Dwayne Porter along with his choice of springs (Isky doubles). I have some Howards EDM lifters that I'll be using for a little extra comfort level. I'll be handling the cam install and everything else once it's back home..

dirty block, BUH-BYE.....!
20200326_194939.jpg
20200326_194823.jpg

Last edited:
Man-oh-MAN, you are going to LOVE it!

Man-oh-MAN, you are going to LOVE it!
:thumbsup:
There's still a nice 'lil 440 in the car so I can enjoy driving it during this awesome time of year, until I do 'the swap'. I'll be using a few parts currently in service but if all goes reasonably smooth it shouldn't be down for very long. I hope.

Last edited:
shot peen a block?
really?
maybe shot blast or wheelabrate but shot peen?
Isky
good choice

shot peen a block?
really?
maybe shot blast or wheelabrate but shot peen?
Isky
good choice
Ah yes I think it was shot blasting, not peening...gonna be sparkly clean when it's done!

you got some cleaning to do, every plug and long brushes time
cheers
why more lift on the exhaust?
do you have head flows?
whats your design quench?

Last edited:
cheers
what specs on the cam
The machinist gets the glorious job of the final cleaning! Although I get nervous about the cleanliness of everything so I'll be going through it at home, probably more than once... The cam is a solid FT at 282/286, 250/[email protected], .555/.567 with his recommended starting point lash of .016 cold (heads are aluminum). Ends up on a 112 LSA, should be a real good match for my combo and usage.

cheers
why more lift on the exhaust?---that would be a question for Dwayne
do you have head flows?----no I wish, unported edelbrock RPMs with a valve job and clearance checks only, planning on port work in the future as budget permits
whats your design quench?----milling to zero deck, so just the gasket thickness of .039-.040

Sounds like a nice build. If you have any room in the budget you should consider selling the carb and putting a Holley Sniper on there. The Sniper will allow you to control the air fuel ratio easier and you'll have data logging capability so you can see what is going on. I had a very similar 512 engine in my Coronet with a Holley Sniper and it was a great combination.

DSC_2882 (Large).JPG

Sounds like a nice build. If you have any room in the budget you should consider selling the carb and putting a Holley Sniper on there. The Sniper will allow you to control the air fuel ratio easier and you'll have data logging capability so you can see what is going on. I had a very similar 512 engine in my Coronet with a Holley Sniper and it was a great combination.

View attachment 927916
Ooooh It's been on my mind! Not enough in the budget for it in this phase but I've definitely been pondering EFI for the future. I do love the simplicity of carbs, I can modify and tune them pretty well for a JoeSchmoe but going to fuel injection has always interested me. I'm confident I could install a hassle-free system (barring any factory quality issues) but it's still a ways off. I do like that 4150 Sniper(stealth?) setup where the wiring goes out towards the firewall. As far as Holley's stuff, the Terminator that looks similar to the classic double-pumper is awesome but probably overkill for me. I love dual-quad setups too, and FiTech's 3x2 looks fabulous.......Aww dang it see what you've done!!:)

Last edited:
Yes the stealth version is probably best for big block Mopar engines since the wires go out the rear. That keeps them away from the distributor and it makes the wiring harness a little cleaner. Only downside to that version is that you'll need an external regulator. I have a stealth Sniper on my other engine, it is a nice unit.
The other thing that is nice about the stealth model is that a factory style throttle bracket will work. The original square body Sniper is wider than a carb so you need a different throttle bracket.
DSC_4037 (Large).JPG

Yes the stealth version is probably best for big block Mopar engines since the wires go out the rear. That keeps them away from the distributor and it makes the wiring harness a little cleaner. Only downside to that version is that you'll need an external regulator. I have a stealth Sniper on my other engine, it is a nice unit.
The other thing that is nice about the stealth model is that a factory style throttle bracket will work. The original square body Sniper is wider than a carb so you need a different throttle bracket.
View attachment 927940
That's the one:thumbsup:

Or you could step up to the big boy package. This is what I have on the 512 in my Duster.
DSC_4016 (Large).JPG

Dayum! Ordered the stroker kit Thursday. When 440source Brandon said "we should have that particular kit balanced and ready to ship tomorrow", I figured yeah cool whatever it'll be here in about a week...LoL. FedEx truck showed up this morning at 11am....
They don't really say it all and I'm sure most of you know by now, but it's Scat, Icon, Total Seal and Clevite stuff.
20200328_114432.jpg

20200328_115133.jpg
20200328_115846.jpg
20200328_115419.jpg

Just for miscellaneous info..
Ran every pin through every rod and piston, real nice fit on all.
'78 cast .010 under RB crank = 68.1 lbs
440 source forged crank = 68.4 lbs
(standard, not their lightweight one)
'78 Chrysler cast piston & rod assembly
(LY rod,bolts/bearings/rings) = 1,950 grams
440 source kit forged piston & rod assembly (ARP bolts/bearings/rings/locks) = 1,610 grams.

They use good stuff, I didn’t have a single complaint about my 470 kit.

Auto Transport Service
Back