• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Car Marketing

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
I love how new car dealerships/manufacturers say one thing then charge another. When Ford Maverick was introduced it was said to be an economy pick up in the low $20's, same with the Bronco. Now they're in the $50's. So I take a look at the Dodge Hornet which had the same story line. They're in the $50's also. It never ends with these companies

I've noticed that with car ads on TV, they rarely speak of the performance, economy or how the car compares to their competition.
I recall ads from years ago where they'd show trucks climbing hills, carrying heavy loads, Dodge had GREAT ads with tires smoking, cars drifting sideways, etc...
Nowadays, they just show cars driving on country roads and talk about safety.
BORING.

Bait & switch, get you in with a stripped-down weak *** limpwristed motor
advert. the photo looks nothing like the actual car/truck
& almost no options
To have you buy & go out the driveway with another $15k-$25k in options
to get you in a rig of what "allegedly" you originally came in for
deceiving advertisements, in all cases, not what they show

I made a commitment long ago to never buy a brand new vehicle again. And the deception the OP alluded to? That only fortifies my decision. I like to tinker and keep my "less-than-new" vehicles running.

Have fun with it. Go to the Ram dealer and tell them you want to order a bare bones Tradesman regular cab with an 8' bed.

I get a kick out of these Clowns trying to advertise and sell the EVs like they were the “it” machines. Yesterday saw a commercial of them promoting the iconic sports and performance machine - Porsche - only EV. Yeah that’s what I want - a battery operated legend - Not!

This guy in our Mopar club bought an electric Porsche and is always trying to get the other members to look at it when he drives it to the meetings. Most of the members are polite.
Not me.
I once said..."Dave, sorry man...I'm just not interested in anything electric. It may be a great car but I don't care to see it."
He was cool about it but still drives it and tries to get people to go for a ride.

I've noticed that with car ads on TV, they rarely speak of the performance, economy or how the car compares to their competition.
I recall ads from years ago where they'd show trucks climbing hills, carrying heavy loads, Dodge had GREAT ads with tires smoking, cars drifting sideways, etc...
Nowadays, they just show cars driving on country roads and talk about safety.
BORING.

they push the touch screen and wireless capabilities :jackoff:

I saw an Audi commercial where the headlights, made up of several LEDs, could be set in a "custom pattern" to suit your personality :rolleyes:

A few months ago, ALL the car adds were for electrics.
Now I'm seeing adds for hybrids, that supposedly loser technology from the teens.
Maybe cause hybrid makes sense..... and all-electric don't (doesnt).
(And I would be interested in a stripper diesel crew cab at 50k. Not so much at 80k!) Who remembers when the hellcat came out, it was supposed to be 60k?

I only know of one guy older than me that embraces the tech stuff. Every other fan of it is younger than me, often by 25-30 years.
We grew up with analog everything so we had to develop skills to keep them working. Society wasn't based on everything is disposable like it has become. Sure, cars and gadgets evolved and changed but I don't recall "safety" being such a huge marketing ploy when seat belts and side door beams became integral to new cars.
It's as if the buying public has devolved into a bunch of scared twits that long for reassurances that they have a tank dressed in civilian clothing just to be comfortable driving them.

New AD for EV’s? Buy one; they’ll light your *** on fire and your house too.

Living in Nevada, I see tons of EVs on the road when out and about. It is evident that the buying public is so twisted by global warming and the World is going to collapse mentality that is ingrained in their collective pea brains that more and more of those vehicles are being bought at ridiculous prices. Hell, even the ICE vehicles are so overpriced now I don't know how some here on FBBO that have recently purchased new vehicles can even afford them let alone maintain them! I haven't bought a new vehicle in over 30 years and right now both of my vehicles are a 2010 and a 2013. I have no desire for an EV unit let alone an overpriced Ice one!!! As Delta V suggested, I bet that would really confuse the dealer sales force completely...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

...We grew up with analog everything so we had to develop skills to keep them working. Society wasn't based on everything is disposable like it has become...
1706101495036.png

New car prices have doubled since the scamdemic. The manufacturers have found out that people will pay a lot more for less. The chip shortage taught them that people will pay up for what they have on the lots,and choice and inventory are no longer a necessity. They are making a lot more per unit,by no offering selection. I thought that this would change after the chip shortage sorted itself out, but the manufacturers have adopted this as their new way of doing business and they are seeing record profits from it! The best thing we can do is not buy their products, especially the electric cars that they are forcing upon us! They won't be hurt too much by it as our government will bail them out again when they fail, but they might learn the lesson Bud Light learned, the customer has the last say on where they spend their money!

Last edited:
haven't bought a new vehicle in over 30 years
Yeah, my wife’s car is an ’09 Sonata and I have an ’05 Dakota. Her’s has 80k on it, we bought when it had 10k, mine I got at 45k and now has 94k. Fixed the rusting Dakota up two years ago with a rust-free bed, repop fenders, and bumper (I posted about this before). It has what I want, V8, AWD, several other nice options (Laramie model). Replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets, struts, shocks on it when bed and fenders were off. Sonata still looks and drives like new doing the service when it’s recommended. Like the ’07 we had, very little went wrong with it, prompting me to get the ‘09 when that model still had the six motor. My kid is still driving the ’07 with 235k on it. Could I fork out the mega-bucks for new vehicles? Yeah, but to cut into our retirement funds would be painful pulling the cash out, either leasing or car payments I don’t relish. Haven’t had payments for 30 years and paid off our house dozen years ago.

When I was younger buying new vehicles were appealing, though for 20 years I had a company ride. The thrill of a ‘new’ vehicle left me long ago. When I ride in one, all the chit they have doesn’t impress me and a friend has had ridiculous problems with his newer Chevy pickup at the dealer more than in his garage. Some new lingo about it going into 'limp mode'. Now something is wrong with the blue-tooth radio and other stuff attached I guess and he says they want four GRAND to fix it! Nope for me.

I mentioned in a post just before Christmas that I bought a new ride for my wife. The truth is we have two cars and we both drive both cars - just not at the same time …Lol. This newbie is only the 3rd brand new car I’ve ever purchased. I too had company cars for excess of 25 yrs so I didn’t need to buy additional vehicles until I remarried. This newbie was quite expensive - which was ok but I was thinking more about when and if it had issues - very expensive. It came w/5 yrs 50k - So I bumped It to 7 yrs 75k fully transferable. When all I bought were Lexus I didn’t worry about this - But this car is German so I did worry about issues. Sooooo much electronic gadgetry in that car that if for no other reason i bought the extra warranty for that reason alone. Likely sell at 6 yrs w/one yr warranty left for someone to bite on - and move on or see if I can extend again w/dealer. I know one thing I don’t want to pay for any repairs on that car. Since I’m getting older I want to enjoy the heck out of what I drive and Im not going to fry over the buy new or pre-owned certified price of what I want. I’ve heard so far no one’s been able to take their treasure with them so……

bumped It to 7 yrs 75k fully transferable
Having it under warranty is great. I’ve purchased extended warranties on used vehicles I’ve owned and that’s been a good move more often than not, with one bad experience. I’ve let them expire on our vehicles now at their age and mileage. Cost me four-grand to restore my truck, as opposed to almost paying $30k more on a newer truck that didn’t have the options and only 20k fewer miles than mine. Always risks with old vehicles, but if I have to pay several grand for repairs, a trans, or major engine work, I can afford it.

Having it under warranty is great. I’ve purchased extended warranties on used vehicles I’ve owned and that’s been a good move more often than not, with one bad experience. I’ve let them expire on our vehicles now at their age and mileage. Cost me four-grand to restore my truck, as opposed to almost paying $30k more on a newer truck that didn’t have the options and only 20k fewer miles than mine. Always risks with old vehicles, but if I have to pay several grand for repairs, a trans, or major engine work, I can afford it.
This car would likely cost “several grand“ just to change the muffler fluid.… Lol. When you purchased more warranty on your vehicles at their current. expiration did you do so from the dealer or one of those third party outfits. I’ve never done either and would prefer the dealer - but also wonder if the third party warranties can be trusted. I’m wondering if they’re like the home warranty outfits that simply can’t be trusted to do the proper thing…..

Auto Transport Service
Back