• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New car oil change info ??????

My JGC will go 10000 miles on a oil change. I change it about 7000. I also put a catch can on it , with direct injection the oil does not get cleaned out. So the oil will stay in the heads. I use Mobil one full synthetic with no issues.

Wow you got an owners manual, I Just bought a slightly used 2019 ram and it’s all in the onboard system. Before I knew I could request one for the hellcat I printed 3 one inch books for the uconnect and systems just to have it on paper. Put the reset oil change instructions in the front of my receipt book for quick reference.

Got 2 years of free maintenance with the 2016 Lexus. They will not change the oil on it with less that 10k. Go figure. Now I’m on my own with another 4 years of warranty - whT do you want to bet they’ll change it anytime I like - and will tell me it’s personal preference.

Are we talking “good for the environment” or “good for killing weeds” or “filter it and run it my 12valve” kind of recycling? Lol!!
Problem with using it for weed killing where I am is that when it rains, the oil is usually still around and the rain will lift it from the grass and wash some of it away. There's a flood BIG flood control ditch within 100' of me and it feeds into a natural bayou that feeds into Galveston Bay. And I used to feed my 12 valve a gallon of used oil per tank but these days I don't drive it enough to mess with doing that anymore. Had a filtration system set up for doing it too....

Dont they use lifetime oil now? :lol:
What's the shelf life of oil? Seems rear end oil lasts for a pretty long time lol

Honda changes at 10000 intervals with on way the reset the reminder if changed early. The Honda dealer will not change it till it says it needs to be changed.

Just checked my Chevy van. Just under 8000 miles and it said 2% oil life left. So I changed it while I was out there.

This is a funny topic.
In the early seventies, a new cool oil came out for motorcycles that had graphite/etc in it.
I tried it in my bike (Z1 900 that had a sight glass for oil level) the oil was black to start with. I didn't like it only because I could see it as being "dirty" from the outset.

Since then I have been very skeptical of proclamations for the "best stuff" to use.:)

I have since relented to the recommendations of the manufacturers of engines.- Much has passed under the bridge considering warranties and owner abuse/neglect.

Some of us can be **** in preserving their new car purchase to remain as it was when they drove it off the lot. (I once was) Some of those folks will even consider an expiration date on a can of oil.

IMO have the first oil change done at a dealer for the car's history's sake and then drive it.:steering:

What's the shelf life of oil?

A perfect question.
Is a "shelf life" the same as working life.
I suspect not. molecules get smashed over time. Oil does indeed degrade with use.

Last edited:
Wife has a 09 Ram bought new. Hemi 5.7. 210000 miles. Change the oil when the chime rings (around 6000 miles) no problems.
They can run a long time.
I have 342,000 miles on my 2007. I've never used anything but conventional 5w20.

Ok you long term oil changers.....what's the oil look like once it's dumped into a clean pan and is anyone sending it out for analysis?

They can run a long time.
I have 342,000 miles on my 2007. I've never used anything but conventional 5w20.

I recall a picture of someone scooping out huge sludge from an oil pan of a 392 hemi that had 75000 miles on it with no oil changes. (old school stuff) (the engine was running fine when opened)

Fiat-Chrysler-Peugeot wants to sell cars, and have us help them meet emission standards. Thus we get permanent trans fluid and 5-20 weight oil recommendations. Not me. 10-30 Amsoil in the modern Mopars 5-20 is just too thin. Annual oil changes due to low miles. 1000 on the 09, 4000 on the 06, and 7-10k on the 69 a year. Don’t trust em. Unless it’s warranty, nothing I own will ever see a Dealer.
Dennis, 10-30 oil in a newer Mopar will clog and affect the MDS system and the VVT systems. You need to use the recommended oil otherwise you are going to cause problems, maintenance issues, and possible damage.

The 06 is MDS with no bad effects. Purrs. The 09 is not MDS. 0-30 molecules seem to navigate ok, do appreciate the heads up. Have heard this before.

As I've said before, they're just taking the human element out of driving. Which make people more complacent then ever and become a more dangerous driver!
Hmmm, when is the last time I chk’d the oil on the 2016? No oil spot in garage—good to go. The old engines, every week at least!

I bought a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk to tow behind my RV.

My friend's dad has had a couple over the years to tow behind his motor home. He was telling me about the procedure you have to go through before towing it. Sounds like fun the first time or two, doing the programming.

I see it above but was gonna say my manual says "not to exceed 10K".

Engine tech and oil tech have come along way since the "3K standard".

I've been a 5K guy for decades.

Auto Transport Service
Back