• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Carb choke issue

TopBanana72

Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
I put a new Edelbrock AVS2 carb on and am having trouble with the choke pulloff. No matter what setting I set the electric choke dial, I can only get it to "just about" fall off the fast idle. The dial setting is counter clockwise to the last mark. See pics.. If I touch the mechanism, I can push it off and it goes to normal idle configuration. Any suggestions?

thumbnail_IMG_1434.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1432.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1433.jpg

Rolling it clockwise is supposed to let the spring take longer to open.

Looks like to me your return springs are the problem. It looks like the cam is against the return springs.

thumbnail_IMG_1433.jpg

Well they sure do not look right to me. What do you think they are doing? It also looks like you have another spring in the big front hole.

Well they sure do not look right to me. What do you think they are doing? It also looks like you have another spring in the big front hole.

mmm, maybe I set the springs wrong. Thats the way the Lokar instructions and pics had those springs. The big hole spring I put on to help keep the throttle linkage pulled back. Maybe I don't need that one on.

Running the same/similar springs on my 340 Dart without issue. Note how they are hooked though, so they don't bind on each other..
1969dartcleanupweek9 148.JPG

I would leave the front one on and remove the lower rear pair and see what it does.

Missed he had a front spring as well... it's one place or the other, not both places. Your foot will get real tired with three on there...

Missed he had a front spring as well... it's one place or the other, not both places. Your foot will get real tired with three on there...

Ya, the pedal doe feel a little stiff.

Yes... thanks . I took off the front spring and it's much nicer pedal feel. As for the choke issue, turns out it was the spring interfering as pnora says. I swear the Lokar instructions said to leave the "teardrop" thinghy a little loose, but that places the spring too close to the linkage. I ended up rotating the teardrop down and tighting up that connection and it works properly now. Thanks to all for the help!

On a side not I LOVE this AVS2 carb! Easy to tune, car starts cold perfectly, car runs like new in every way.

thumbnail_IMG_1450.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back