• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Denso Alternator not charging

eagleone1983

Local time
4:02 AM
Reaction score
Well trying not to get frustrated but I keep running into new problems when I try to fix others. Looks like the secondaries not opening will have to wait until I get this charging problem figured out.

Here's what I've got. The car is only showing 12v at the voltmeter and when I hit the turn signal it'll actually bounce down a bit in unison with the turn signal. I should be getting at least a little more than twelve and 14 or so volts when I'm driving. I have the denso unit upgrade and an all new wiring harness from M&H which was wired for electronic ignition. I've wiring in the alternator the following way and without cutting any of the new harness. I've connected the sense wire on the denso plug (which is the top terminal) to the stock green field wire from the alternator and I jumped from where that green wire went into the VR plug to the battery post on the starter relay. With the key off I have 12v at that sense wire.

Next I used the stock blue wire for my IGN terminal which is the left terminal when looking at the back of the alternator. I did not jump anything further on that wire except at the VR plug I added a wire from the blue terminal to my electric choke. I get 12V at the IGN terminal on the alternator with the key on engine not running.

I don't get it, I seem to have volts where I need them. Could it be that I just used the stock battery charge wire (large gauge black and smaller gauge violet wire) and didn't jump it straight to the battery post on the starter relay? I figured all that essentially does is keep the voltage from running through the bulkhead. I do have my stock ampmeter disconnected and both eyelet connectors have been connected to one post on the ampmeter. I could have sworn that I had 14v when I was breaking the motor in but now nothing. I've already had the alternator tested and it passed both times. All wires have good continuity as well.

Solved my own problem. Ran a 10 gauge wire with fusible link from alt batt post to batt post on starter relay. Exactly 14.2 volts ! My wife told me to try that yesterday, now I'll never hear the end of it

Auto Transport Service
Back