• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Engine harness - question

petieg383

Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
The wiring on my 70 Roadrunner, particularly for the engine harness is pretty crappy. Lots of splits in the coating, tons of splices, etc. I've been having issue getting spark lately and now I know it's the harness. I thought about just doing a total replacement with a harness from Year One instead of patching it further. I haven't shopped anywhere else yet to see if there is anything different, but I will. I figured I'd post something here too.

Year One sells a 383/440 4bbl harness and a separate 440+6 harness. They cannot tell me the difference, except that the 440+6 harness is $30 more. I assume it's just longer to route around the additional carbs?

I don't have a 6bbl setup yet but I might in the future. Thought maybe someone here could tell me the difference.

Thanks.

the 6 pack has extra wiring that goes to the idle solenoid. Good choice going with a new harness, I unravled the original one on my car and the wires were cracked, dry and one was spliced.

I ended up buying a harness from Evans Wiring. Saw an ad for them in Mopar Collector's Guide and gave them a call. They can basically create whatever you want. I went with a normal 4bbl wiring harness. The likelihood that I'll go with a 6bbl intake in the future is small. If I do replacing the harness or adding some additional wiring to work with the different coil location is not a big deal.

When I called Year One they couldn't tell me anything about the differences. Zero information. Plus the harness from Evans is $15 cheaper, and is hand made right in PA.

I ended up buying a harness from Evans Wiring. Saw an ad for them in Mopar Collector's Guide and gave them a call. They can basically create whatever you want. I went with a normal 4bbl wiring harness. The likelihood that I'll go with a 6bbl intake in the future is small. If I do replacing the harness or adding some additional wiring to work with the different coil location is not a big deal.

When I called Year One they couldn't tell me anything about the differences. Zero information. Plus the harness from Evans is $15 cheaper, and is hand made right in PA.

A lot here have used them as well as the M&H from Year One. Evans however has had in the past some issues with QC and workmanship. Enough to warrant some concern even for their product durability and actual quality. The Year One offering is the best out there. I understand the savings part but when it comes to getting what one pays for, I would rather pony up for the better of the two and eliminate any hassles that might occur. Good luck with the Evans kit and keep us posted as to the results...cr8crshr/Tuck

I put the Evans Wiring harness on last night. It seemed OK. The only minor issue was the black wire to the back of the alternator is probably 1" too short for my liking, but otherwise the harness looked OK to me. It's not stretched or a problem, just not as perfect as it could have been.

Car fired right up after I got everything hooked up. Couldn't be happier right now.

I've put in a few harnesses over the years, all from Year One, all perfect.

Auto Transport Service
Back