• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Exhaust System Recommendations

asaya

Local time
11:03 PM
Reaction score
Looking to replace current exhaust system; Hooker headers, local shop pipes, and flow master mufflers. Have looked at TTI, Thorley, and Hedman. Going into 69 RR, column shift auto, 383, rebuilt several years ago. Looking for advice, deals, dealers etc.

Thanks for your help

Exhaust recently put on my 63 is TTI headers and one of few if any outfits that have headers off the shelf that fit my car with 318 anyway. Motor rebuilt for more hp and compression with 3" x pipe exhaust. TTI is pricy but great reputation.

I just ordered TTi headers and they showed up today. Beautiful looking units.

Id do their exhaust system with dynomax ultraflow 14" mufflers!!

I hate to be negative but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have a '65 with a 440 with headers and complete 3" exhaust all TTI.. The headers fit fantastic. It's hard to believe how well they fit around everything. The fit on the tailpipes is equally as good. The hangers are also nice. The pipes from the headers to the mufflers was a different story.
The "H" pipe would have fit my '40 Ford as well as my '65. I have several hours into making the system cutting and welding to make it decent enough to use.
The parking brake system still needs to be totally changed/redesigned to get it in there without fouling on the "H"
I'm sure others have nothing but good things to say but sorry I don't.

I'd buy accurate. I have the same car with manifolds, welded stainless Dynomax mufflers, full tail pipes. It's all 2.5" and has crossover, stock manifolds. And I have a drone that kinda drives me a bit crazy!

I have a '65 with a 440 with headers and complete 3" exhaust all TTI.. The headers fit fantastic. It's hard to believe how well they fit around everything. The fit on the tailpipes is equally as good. The hangers are also nice. The pipes from the headers to the mufflers was a different story.
The "H" pipe would have fit my '40 Ford as well as my '65. I have several hours into making the system cutting and welding to make it decent enough to use.
The parking brake system still needs to be totally changed/redesigned to get it in there without fouling on the "H"

Thanks thinking TTI

1965 Dodge 009.JPG
My 65 had the e brake bracket on rear frame rail like later years. I put a later set of brake cables on the rear. Made a bracket for the front e brake cable. Fabbed a rod to connect front to back cable. That e brake system on pre 66 sucks with headers. If you enlarge picture you can see bracket hanging just below and behind H pipe.

@ flat side glass

I installed my tti system in the wife's '67 Cuda. The exhaust pipe fitment was a pain. Then I realized that the adjustment s needed are actually simple. It will be EZ next time around.

The 45* pipes from the X (& probably the H pipe) the the headers reducers needed be sized, AKA cut to fit the width.
I cut the pipe side that goes from the reducer to the X as far down as possible. (Pipe cut as it goes into the "X".)
This narrowed the width and allowed it to be bolted to the reducer. A slight push and it was aligned.

The pipe to the muffler needed to be shortened. I hung the mufflers and tail pipes. Places a box under the muffler to prop it up as high as possible to mimic the installed height.

Then lifting the exhaust pipes (connected to the header)
I just used a sharpie to mark where I wanted the cut.
Took the pipes out, cut on circular saw, reinstall them and connect into the muffler.

Had I known this is the best and easiest way, it would have saved hours.

Next time I do this exhaust, it'll be 2 hours from start to coffee after clean up, feet up.

Ruff fit after cutting. A little WD-40 helps slide pipes in and out and around.
Minor adjustments made later. Over all, really a good system.
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG

Thanks for posting the pictures. Your system is a lot simpler then mine. I will have to take a look but I think there was 3 or four elbows on each side between the headers and the H pipe. I even had to cut back some of the swedged (female) part of the elbows. I even went out and bought a hoist which really helped. If I think of it I will take a couple of pictures tonight. Your parking brake cables are much easier too. Mine come up on a angle from the backing plates to the middle. That real estate is full of pipes.
Thanks to everyone for their input and sorry to asaya for taking over your post.
Do '66 and newer have a better cable layout??
Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back