• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Garage

Not a lot of construction going on but I have been moving parts over from the basement of the house...upper garage and storage for my 65 Coronet and 65 Belvedere II.
It's starting to fill up a little more...
There is a lot of parts condensed into the totes as nearly all of them are completely full.
Top shelf has odd shaped boxes of parts...and I have been trying to take an inventory of what else I need to get or need something nicer than I have...I really thought I had most everything for my 65 Bell II...Not so much...

Attachments
View attachment 692053

View attachment 692054

View attachment 692055

View attachment 692056
That makes me sick seeing a garage that clean and organized, looks more like a kitchen:poke:. That's coming together very nice!

So with Spring coming I spent a ton of time outside on the yard and everything around the house...
I don't know if it was an overly wet year or what that caused me to have a horrendous moss infestation in my grass...
I put down lime...raked and pulled out everything I could...
Then got into searching You-Tube and got into some lawn care videos...My ocd is bad but not near what some of those guys have...:poke:
I had to clean out and refurbish the mulch in the storm water management pond...
I ultimately got everything straightened out and got plantings in the ground...seeded and top dressed a few areas and got into staining a lot of the wood deck and elevated flower beds. Added a few stone flower beds and got everything mulched...
Still contemplating a new Trex deck for the upper deck when the wife says "Why don't you finish the walkway to the garage?"
This one of those things that needed done and I knew was going to be a monster PITA to do...
I had everything set up for it but just never jumped in with both feet and knocked it out...
Below are some pics of where it was left and forward progress on everything else thus far...
The last 3 pics are the area where the new walkway is supposed to go...:BangHead:

IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0552.JPG IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0598.JPG IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0601.JPG

I dug everything out and placed the 6 x 6's in the ground along with a couple dead-men under the walkway and figured out the angle's and elevations needed to end up being where I wanted it to be...
I had also buried a conduit to this area so I can add a light in the shed and tie in a bug zapper so I ran everything to a box with the switch for that before installing the deck boards...
I need to have some type of a path to also be able to get to the basement door of the garage so an incline between the garage porch and the elevated walkway would be needed...not to mention it made more sense to add a set of steps that went towards the shed that holds everything for the yard work...
I think it turned out pretty good now I just need to wait for everything to dry out so I can stain it to match everything else...
I guess next is working on the concrete pads or maybe pavers to start to create the sidewalk that will ultimately connect to the back door of the garage...

IMG_0624.JPG IMG_0627.JPG IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0631.JPG

I think all the work paid off as the grass has filled in real nice and some of the plantings are growing pretty good...at least the wife seems to be happy...

IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0607.JPG IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0637.JPG

Is there such a thing as a Home and Garden and Garage magazine?

Looking great! Now let's work on some Mopars!

Awesome work, looks great!

This was originally built in 1996 so it is still a little rough but has held up pretty good overall...
The deck itself I used a wood planer on and removed the top layer of wood that was splintered...then sanded everything with a belt sander...installed the 1st coat of stain and then handed sanded prior to the second coat being installed...
It turned out to be pretty smooth...the stain has a nice sheen and repels everything nice when 2 coats are installed.
The top handrails were replaced and all pickets were removed and hand sanded and stained...
Furniture made it back onto the deck after not even putting any out for the past couple years...
(ie the furniture is not in my garage any more):D

finished 2.JPG finished 4.JPG finished 1.JPG finished 7.JPG

Now it's on to the landing and the stairs...
Fortunately the pickets and handrails for the stairs were rebuilt 2 years ago so they are ready for stain and can easily be removed...sanded and stained...
The landing is still all original and has to be done in place...unfortunately with two coats...
Progress is ongoing and the climbing is a PITA...but I'll get there...
I managed to get two coats on the supports and the pickets last night along with one coat on the landing itself.

I'm just going to remove the stair treads...sand and stain them all at once and sand...stain the stringers separately then final install everything with the pickets and handrails...
I'm maybe a 1/4 of the way there now...:(

landing-1.JPG landing-2.JPG landing-3.JPG stair-2.JPG

Looks like aching shoulders to me!

Stairs are complete with two coats and installed...

Now back into what this was supposed to be which is everything for the garage...

Stair 3.JPG Stair 4.JPG Stair 5.JPG

I woke up early Friday and decided it was time to get something figured out for the ramp between the garage porch and the walkway from the house.

I need to have access to haul items from the front to the back garage door and also be able to get the lawnmower from the back to the front...

Thought about using concrete pads...2x2 or 2x3...nothing seemed to work out and they would have to be custom cut where the ramp turns...

Wood would be even more staining and maybe a little slick on a slope...so I guess a concrete pad it is...several actually...

I removed 11 wheels barrow loads of dirt from the slope to get down to a sub base level of about 3".

Began installing crusher run and hand compacted it for now... I'll use a vibrating plate on it prior to installing the mesh and rebar...

IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0754.JPG IMG_0756.JPG

I started trying to figure out the elevation...slope and design of the lower area as I will need to form up several areas to be able to avoid the minimum charges for the concrete...

There's a lot of work involved with this as I will also have to raise the existing shed about 20" or so...along with sliding it back about 4'.

The pad ended up being 5' wide and almost 10' long...at the back I need to add J bolts in the form...once the concrete is poured I can remove the forms and already have the attachment points for the new deck which will ultimately become a covered porch in front of the existing shed.

I have in my head what I expect it to be when finished so I'm trying to get there without forgetting crucial steps that will help me later...

Ended up making a temporary ramp on top of the forms to begin installing the gravel...Once both are poured and all forms are removed I can just form up the open area between the slabs on one side and then pour that area.

I plan to run the rebar through the forms on the first 2 slabs and have pieces sticking out to tie into the rebar in the center slab...

IMG_0768.JPG IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0771.JPG IMG_0770.JPG

I had a pretty big storm come through a couple weeks back with a lot of rain...

I ended up removing the form I had at the top of the ramp as it acted like a dam and held water back.
I replaced it with a 3" angle iron as the termination point for the concrete at the top of the ramp.

I found this drain at Lowe's that will get rid of any additional water that gets by the underground pipe during a big storm and mounted it directly in front of the angle.

This meant I had to trench for a drain pipe to exit out below the concrete work but it's better than washing out over time.

Bought enough piece's to have the drain a full 10' long in front of the ramp and the raised platform walkway.

Better safe than sorry I guess...

IMG_0808.JPG IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0811.JPG

I borrowed a tamper and got the stone compacted and then added in the 1/2" rebar and 6"x6" wire mesh.

The top pad has the expansion joint added and is complete waiting for concrete...

The bottom pad will be finished tonight pending no more rain today...

Now it's up to waiting on a concrete guy to show up and do the pours...

I'm thinking its about 3 yards of concrete total...

I drilled the forms and let the rebar pass through so each pad will be tied into the next one so maybe I never have any movement at the joints...

Forms and the next pad in between these two will be a piece of cake once I get these poured...

IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0882.JPG

Everything for both concrete pads is finished...

Finished running the piping for the drain at the top of the slope...

Haven't been able to get anyone available to pour the pads yet...Maybe next week...

I began moving the existing shed up to meet the new elevation of the concrete pad...

It ends up being raised about 15"...

IMG_0890.JPG IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0892.JPG IMG_0902.JPG

This will allow the new covered porch framing and the concrete pad to be flush at the same elevation...

Sliding it back 52" gives me about a 7' 6" covered porch...

Posts were added at the back and set in Quickcrete...

A 4x6 was added to the top where the 4x4's are under the shed...

IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0900.JPG IMG_0901.JPG

I put two pieces of 1 1/2" roll bar tubing under the shed and slid it back into place...easy peasy...

Poured a couple concrete pads for columns for the added covered porch...

In a 7' 6" run from the concrete this is how level the new covered porch turned out...

Now I need to find something else to get into until I can get the concrete poured...

What to do...what to do...

Don't worry...there's a whole list...

I'm thinking I need to start moving the huge pile of dirt and get ready for the next concrete pads below the one in front of the shed...

IMG_0919.JPG IMG_0920.JPG IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0925.JPG IMG_0926.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back