• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new garage

Wow 101 pages on that icehouse thread.

Still reading...

I bought a 55 buick from a guy that lived in about 2500 square feet of a 5 story warehouse.

Rent was by the sq ft, and you had to put up your own walls.

This guy lived on the ground floor, and drove his car (a 56 buick) all the way into his living room!!
Ground floor was parking, but also had living space/apratments at the corners.
He just put a garage door in one of his walls.

Wow 101 pages on that icehouse thread.

Still reading...

I bought a 55 buick from a guy that lived in about 2500 square feet of a 5 story warehouse.

Rent was by the sq ft, and you had to put up your own walls.

This guy lived on the ground floor, and drove his car (a 56 buick) all the way into his living room!!
Ground floor was parking, but also had living space/apratments at the corners.
He just put a garage door in one of his walls.

LOL, I spent a lot of time reading. I'm a heating and AC person so his heating "experiments" intrigued me.

I think it's amazing he's not afraid of making what ever he needs out of discarded items. I do that all the time, very impressive to me.

Finally doing it, 30x40 with 16ft high ceilings. 6inch slab, 9x8 doors, some windows and an entry door. Going with a pole barn as it makes site prep and permitting a lot easier. Its within the budget, high enough for a lift and i can stack cars in one bay with one of thes piggyback lifts. I will eventually do a loft for storage, workspace or a secret hideout.

Any advice on a lift?

Finally doing it, 30x40 with 16ft high ceilings.

ive worked in 30x30 foot shops, basically a two bay set up.......... when i built mine, i went 30 wide x 40 deep......... the extra 10 feet of depth allows me to fit 6 cars if i have too...... also put a rear door, nothing beats letting the breeze blow through on a nice day

P9090032.jpg

plan for the future....... i later came out the side 18 more feet. complete with a front roll up and side sliding doors

lawnorniments3.jpg

Very good suggestions here. My garage is 30x48', 2 overhead doors and a walk in door and they face the house (my neighborhood is not the best) no windows because of the "lookers". Something Ii did do was to place 2ea, 4' long, 4" tall "I" beam's into the floor, naturally making the top of the "I" beam level with the floor. I have used that "I" beam to straighten metal, tie difficult pieces down by tack welding them to the "I" beam to form/bend/straighten. Using this set up prevented damaging the concrete floor.

Something else when I was figuring size, I opened both doors on the 66 Belvedere and measured the opening distance from outside lip of the driver door to the outside lip of the passenger door. Can't remember the distance but was surprised how much space that ate up. Good luck

I went 32' X 54'. 32' is deep enough for a full truck to be in with ample room on both ends, and the 54' I took 14' from for office / bench area and mezzanine. This basically left me with a 32' x 40' shop. I bought retractable air hoses as I hate rolling them up and did all the electrical in exposed conduit. You can not have enough light either, plan for adding on if you can't afford it right now. I can have three projects sideways in 32' and one in the doorway bay. I can even have one into the workbench area totaling 5 in the shop at a time. That's too many (maybe!) but the excess room is nice. Here is a link to a thread about it. I know I could have easily used more space, but I'm very happy with the layout. However as said above, "It will be too small!" no matter what you build.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=180423&highlight=gdrill

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back