• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to FBBO & Almost New Mopar Owner

rklewis1005

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
Greetings all, I'm seriously considering being a new Mopar owner as my older brother passed away recently and his 70 Charger (383) has been in my Dad's garage for the past 40 years. It's rusted underneath (especially up front) and would need a lot of $ to get it roadworthy again. A showroom restoration would be even bigger $$ and take even longer. I'm considering buying it for sentimental reasons and I like a good challenge (or glutton for punishment). My main goal would be to fix the structure/chassis/sheetmetal and then slowly reassemble/replace other items (fix the "foundation first"). I'd be going in understanding that the project is likely a 2-10 year project depending on time/cost/funds.

I've been downloading/reading as much as I can trying to understand what might be involved in process. If anyone has an article (prior forum thread) on restoration tips (teardown order, labeling parts for long term storage, etc), I'd be extremely grateful. I'm trying to have a plan BEFORE jumping in with both feet. Considering a few options and if anyone has thoughts on them, feel free to tear them apart or let me know what is "normal". Obviously I'll have to talk with a couple shops as well. The car is currently being uncovered/unburied so I still have time to decide if I want to tackle this huge project. I do have space in my garage at home, so I can store work on it slowly.

1. Simply drop off the car at a shop specializing in Classic restores and ask to fix the chassis & sheetmetal / make it roadworthy.
- They would need to likely disassemble/reassemble so highest cost but quicker than if I teardown

2. Tear down myself to get to the bare chassis, then hand off to a shop specializing in Classic restores for chassis/sheetmetal work - goal of getting it back ready to slowly reassemble and replace any parts that I'm replacing.
- Plan for up to 1 yr to disassemble
- I've seend the Assembly order from Resto Rick - so guessing I can reverse the order carefully
- I'd have to have a bullet proof (even redundant) labeling & documentation method (lots of pics, notes, etc)
- Need a lot of extra storage (already looking at sheds for all the parts)
- Need to get a hoist/engine stand for removing the engine, etc (another brother is a mechanic, so I have help if needed)
- Is there such a thing as putting it on a rolling cart (like a Rotissiere) to hand off to a body shop (can it be moved/trailered short distances in that state)?
- Is there a better way to leave as a roller for sending to bodyshop (while still doing alot of the teardown myself - save $)
- Final painting before or after reassembly?

Is it reasonable to think if I could strip down to the chassis that a shop could replace/strip/paint for 20-30k in a few months?

Thanks in advance for any hints/links to threads/etc. As I mentioned, I've already researched this forum and many other sites and bookmarked & downloaded service manuals, wiring guides, Tech guides, hints, etc.

Ross

Greetings all, I'm seriously considering being a new Mopar owner as my older brother passed away recently and his 70 Charger (383) has been in my Dad's garage for the past 40 years. It's rusted underneath (especially up front) and would need a lot of $ to get it roadworthy again. A showroom restoration would be even bigger $$ and take even longer. I'm considering buying it for sentimental reasons and I like a good challenge (or glutton for punishment). My main goal would be to fix the structure/chassis/sheetmetal and then slowly reassemble/replace other items (fix the "foundation first"). I'd be going in understanding that the project is likely a 2-10 year project depending on time/cost/funds.

I've been downloading/reading as much as I can trying to understand what might be involved in process. If anyone has an article (prior forum thread) on restoration tips (teardown order, labeling parts for long term storage, etc), I'd be extremely grateful. I'm trying to have a plan BEFORE jumping in with both feet. Considering a few options and if anyone has thoughts on them, feel free to tear them apart or let me know what is "normal". Obviously I'll have to talk with a couple shops as well. The car is currently being uncovered/unburied so I still have time to decide if I want to tackle this huge project. I do have space in my garage at home, so I can store work on it slowly.

1. Simply drop off the car at a shop specializing in Classic restores and ask to fix the chassis & sheetmetal / make it roadworthy.
- They would need to likely disassemble/reassemble so highest cost but quicker than if I teardown

2. Tear down myself to get to the bare chassis, then hand off to a shop specializing in Classic restores for chassis/sheetmetal work - goal of getting it back ready to slowly reassemble and replace any parts that I'm replacing.
- Plan for up to 1 yr to disassemble
- I've seend the Assembly order from Resto Rick - so guessing I can reverse the order carefully
- I'd have to have a bullet proof (even redundant) labeling & documentation method (lots of pics, notes, etc)
- Need a lot of extra storage (already looking at sheds for all the parts)
- Need to get a hoist/engine stand for removing the engine, etc (another brother is a mechanic, so I have help if needed)
- Is there such a thing as putting it on a rolling cart (like a Rotissiere) to hand off to a body shop (can it be moved/trailered short distances in that state)?
- Is there a better way to leave as a roller for sending to bodyshop (while still doing alot of the teardown myself - save $)
- Final painting before or after reassembly?

Is it reasonable to think if I could strip down to the chassis that a shop could replace/strip/paint for 20-30k in a few months?

Thanks in advance for any hints/links to threads/etc. As I mentioned, I've already researched this forum and many other sites and bookmarked & downloaded service manuals, wiring guides, Tech guides, hints, etc.

Ross
Welcome to the site. It sounds like you have done a of of thinking and preplanning which is good. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Welcome to FBBO from NY!
And btw, smart man! Sounds like you're doing your homework :thumbsup:

Like a fella around here says...
"Fill your library before you fill your garage"

And good luck with that potential Charger project.

@Budnicks

Welcome from the central coast of Cal. When you decide on a shop to use, ask them how much pre work you could do like pulling engine/trans/interior/wiring/trim etc. That will help them to focus on the Resto work and save you lots of dough which can be better used elsewhere.

IMG_4147.jpeg

Welcome from Southern CA Ross:
Sorry to hear about your brother, and what a great tribute to him by getting his car back on the road again.
This site has an incredible talent level, and you'll find great guys and gals willing to help out along the way if you get stuck.
If you have PIC's of the Charger, we'd love to see it.

Good luck with the project.

Welcome from Southern CA Ross:
Sorry to hear about your brother, and what a great tribute to him by getting his car back on the road again.
This site has an incredible talent level, and you'll find great guys and gals willing to help out along the way if you get stuck.
If you have PIC's of the Charger, we'd love to see it.

Good luck with the project.
Thanks - it's a couple of states away. My dad is slowly "finding/unburying" it from his garage. I've attached the front as he's working front to back.

FrontGrill.jpg

Welcome, it will be nice if you do start and finish your brother's charger.
If you do start the disassembly bag and lable all parts and bolts.
Take a ton of pictures as you working and upload to a file , flash drive ect.
If you hire it done take your time and pick the shop carefully. We hear many horror stories. Research the shop.
There are guys on here from all over chances are someone will have a reference ect .
Good luck on your journey.

Welcome. Sorry about your brothers passing. It sounds like you are a thinker, so you can do it!! Don't over think it, just dig in, keeping in mind your goals. I like to try to clean them up and get them "running" with what they have, before I start tearing them down. Lets you know "what you have to work with", and what you have to fix. Bag and tag everything. Don't get in a hurry, but always make progress, and you will get there. You are on the right forum for such a project, there is more Mopar knowledge on here than anywhere, I would say, and we like to help with advice, and maybe even parts. We like lots of pictures to diagnose stuff.

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

good luck with the 70 383 Charger, sitting for 40 years

sc welcomes you. I do not believe you can get a shop to replace/strip/paint for 20-30k in a few months, many if not all good shops will not jump your car ahead of others. Im also doing a 70 charger and been waiting a year for metal work. I finally found a friend that can do it and he is getting it this weekend. I know people that have had their cars sitting in a shop for over a year if not longer. I hope you prove me wrong on this. I stripped my car down and order my metal so it would be ready to go. This way the shop will not be able to charge me more for the AMD parts.

Welcome, and condolences to you and your family. Whatever you decide to do, know that you have a GREAT, iconic car that's worthy of a restoration.

I'm at 5.5 weeks for a cut and polish and some touch ups. Polish is done as of this morning and they just starting on the paint touch ups. Yelling at the shop owner today, that tells me him and his Wife are leaving on Thursday for a week South and then he'll get to the paint touch ups, I'll be at 8 weeks just for that IF I get the car back the week after Easter.

sc welcomes you. I do not believe you can get a shop to replace/strip/paint for 20-30k in a few months, many if not all good shops will not jump your car ahead of others. Im also doing a 70 charger and been waiting a year for metal work. I finally found a friend that can do it and he is getting it this weekend. I know people that have had their cars sitting in a shop for over a year if not longer. I hope you prove me wrong on this. I stripped my car down and order my metal so it would be ready to go. This way the shop will not be able to charge me more for the AMD parts.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I'd expect to put it in a shop right away or jump the line. Just wondering how long once the shop gets it in and expected budget (planning ahead). If I strip it, it could be a year+ before I'd need it in the shop. So sounds like you're suggesting I pick a shop & get in line :)

BTW, Spartanburg, SC area here.

Did you put it on a rotisserie to take to your friend for the body work or left it in a roller configuration?

Thanks
Ross

its a roller, no apologize needed.

I'm at 5.5 weeks for a cut and polish and some touch ups. Polish is done as of this morning and they just starting on the paint touch ups. Yelling at the shop owner today, that tells me him and his Wife are leaving on Thursday for a week South and then he'll get to the paint touch ups, I'll be at 8 weeks just for that IF I get the car back the week after Easter.

its a roller, no apologize needed.
Stupid question - what is the minimum config for that? Suspension, wheels, steering?

my k frame is still in and steering column nothing else if thats what your asking.

Welcome to the site Ross! You won't be sorry restoring a 70 Charger. Auto Metal Direct has made restoring almost any second generation Charger possible. 70 Chargers are my personal favorite Mopars 70 I am a bit biased. Enjoy the project,and when it is finished drive it with your brothers memory along for the ride! I have a few 70 Chargers myself.

20220925_200214.jpg

20210925_145203.jpg

8250453-DSC00666 (1).JPG

20220421_193845 (1).jpg

20221011_170016.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back