• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New gears try out.

Woody01

Local time
3:31 PM
Reaction score
Well all been well i can try the new gears out this weekend,gone from 4/10 to 4:30 in rear.

5% change....not a big one but you should be able to feel it....

Well dint get lots of runs as water pump pack up. But gone from a 10.3&134 to 10.1@135 in 1/4 mile. More to come i think with more runs as only got 3 in.

I am surprised as going from 4.10 to 4.30 I did not think you would pick up much at all but your saying it picked up 2 tenths ? Ron

Feel to launch harder off the line. Mat be Roughbird72. Prob not be out till next year tho as water pump playing up.

I am seriously thinking of going to 4:30 gears from 4:56 I seem to top out my rpm prior to the finish line. maybe 100 feet or more. do you have any thoughts 550 hp with 30.5 tires 727 w trans brake. Best so far is 10.70 but I think I can get it lower with the gears. Any thoughts???

I still think 430 is bad idea...if u are looking for lower et...you just need more horsepower...check out RACER AL's build and threads...he is running a 440 cube motor with 456 gears

My 63 Dodge 498 with a crossram ran exactly the same with 4.10 or 4.56.
Doug

My 63 Dodge 498 with a crossram ran exactly the same with 4.10 or 4.56.
Doug
Had a similar problem years ago with a 66 383 powered Belvedere. My best ET was with a 2.94 rear and it ran about the same with a 3.91. I'm sure traction had something to do with it but at least I got to use all 3 gears with the 3.91's lol

seems the car liked the track condition
or it "possibly" had not enough gear for the combo possibly too...

mine had kind of the reverse effect...
I ran my best Et's in my ol' RR with 4.30:1's {N/A 479ci less HP than the OP}
best mph with 3.73:1's, more street drivability too {If that was an issue}
didn't drop off much with the 3.73's either,
I also tried 3.91:1 & 4.10:1 too,
even did a test with 4.89:1's fell on it's face on the big end N/A
but wheel stood like a MF-er on N20
stayed in 1st & 2nd longer on 3.73's,
also the converter would flashed slightly higher on the launces too,
with less wheel speed/spin...
Mine liked to be shifted at like 6200rpm,
it'd spin to & pull to 7500rpm, but didn't run as well going that high...
You need to find what your exact combo likes,
what mine did & your did, would vary vastly no doubt,
you have more power, possibly more weight too
{mine ran best 9.77 @ 135, 3520#'s on drag radials/caltrac's}

really depends on what the car likes,
what camshaft & valve-springs etc., where the power is actually being made
what RPM's, what size tire, what elevation R.A.D. & track conditions,
a lot of variables to figure in here...

sounds like the car liked the "more" gear change
or it was mineshaft air & better traction that day ?????

usually the 60ft times will tell a ton,
most of the improvements are made in the 1st 300ft

Last edited:
Canyon....as we discussed on the phone. ..I don't think it's the gear...I think u are just running out of horsepower somewhere between 1000 feet and 1320 feet and a lower gear won't help that..my humble opinion .... plus I had exactly the same situation with my old motor.
.whether I ran 11.85 or 12.05 it was always 111 or 112mph...car just wouldn't go any faster...

Mike I suspect your correct. So off come the heads to get new valves and porting. I will also change the cam

Mike I suspect your correct. So off come the heads to get new valves and porting. I will also change the cam
Canyon,
If you go with a new cam, if you dont already have a roller cam, go that way. I believe that a roller cam, because of it more generous ramp capability which allows more duration can be 50HP over a flat tapper PLUS... if you dont already have "MAX WEDGE" port size when you go with heads ONLY go with MAX WEDGE size ports and while you are having them ported then you should make sure that you get them to flow at least 350cfm at .060 lift (and of course you will have to get a MAX WEDGE port size intake manifold with a Dominator 1050) and while you are at it.. if you dont have already have 2" headers with 3.5" collectors..go with those also...there, my friend, you now have at least 100 more HP...and +100HP at 3300lbs your old 10.70's will become 10.20's, or so. (and that is pretty fast for your 440 cubic inch motor)
I think my calculations are fairly close...so check it out...I hope our other pals on B Bodies weigh in to see if they think my calculations make sense.

I actually feel I would go just as fast or faster dropping my 4.30's to 4.10 or 3.91 as I trap about 6400 rpm and I feel it would pull more in the traps at less rpm. One day I may find out. Ron

Canyon,
If you go with a new cam, if you dont already have a roller cam, go that way. I believe that a roller cam, because of it more generous ramp capability which allows more duration can be 50HP over a flat tapper PLUS... if you dont already have "MAX WEDGE" port size when you go with heads ONLY go with MAX WEDGE size ports and while you are having them ported then you should make sure that you get them to flow at least 350cfm at .060 lift (and of course you will have to get a MAX WEDGE port size intake manifold with a Dominator 1050) and while you are at it.. if you dont have already have 2" headers with 3.5" collectors..go with those also...there, my friend, you now have at least 100 more HP...and +100HP at 3300lbs your old 10.70's will become 10.20's, or so. (and that is pretty fast for your 440 cubic inch motor)
I think my calculations are fairly close...so check it out...I hope our other pals on B Bodies weigh in to see if they think my calculations make sense.
Roller cam, 350 CFM heads, 2" headers , 3300lbs should easily go well into the nines.
Doug

Chris, I spoke with my engine builder today about your motor. He says he can Port your Edelbrock heads, leaving them at standard Port size, but flowing a whole lot more, and you could make the power without going past 6100 rpm.... as standard Port heads make their horsepower about 1000 RPM less than Max Wedge Size... Max wedge size ports you would have to go to 7100 to make the power... he thought you could pick up at least 2/10s and maybe up to 3/10s ... as you would pick up about 40 to 50 horsepower... if you're interested I can give you his phone number. He is in Boise Idaho and he is a Mopar race for the last 30 years.

Auto Transport Service
Back