• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mopar owner w questions

analog70

Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
Howdy,

Recently acquired a 70 Charger 500 w a 440 4 barrel RB big block motor. Plenty of sorting to be done. Looking for information for correct alternator, bracket, regulator, part numbers if possible. It is currently a non-ac car so I am after a single groove alternator, square back or round back can someone clarify (Prior owner had GM alternator and funky brackets - trying to correct back to original). Am I mistaken or the 70 had an external regulator? Looking for the appropriate regulator replacement to work w the correct alternator.

Appreciate your time and comprehension. Thanks in advance.

Welcome. Nice acquisition ! If you're looking for originality, you'll need a round alternator with the external electronic regulator. Readily available at one of our sponsors, look on the sidebar.

Welcome from the great white north of canada!

As for brackets and pullies you can check out some of the reproduction/restoration sites out there, I've gotten some stuff from Bouchillon Performance and they were good quality.

https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/

Welcome. Nice acquisition ! If you're looking for originality, you'll need a round alternator with the external electronic regulator. Readily available at one of our sponsors, look on the sidebar.
Didn't all 1970 models use the square back alternator, or was that a mid year thing?

Welcome from Missouri!!

IIRC, 72 models introduced the squareback
Maybe we are talking about 2 different things? On the left is what I call a round back single field 1969 and older. On the right is a square back dual field that I thought started in 70. This one is my spare and dated 1971, but I believe the one on my Duster is a 1970.

20220531_061619.jpg

Maybe we are talking about 2 different things? On the left is what I call a round back single field 1969 and older. On the right is a square back dual field that I thought started in 70. This one is my spare and dated 1971, but I believe the one on my Duster is a 1970.

View attachment 1292073
Nope, that's them... I don't recall seeing that squareback until 72- later ( again, I think the 70 & 71 uses a dual-field round ).

welcome to FBBO

Welcome from Alabama, how about some pictures?

Auto Transport Service
Back