• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New parts that dont fit!!!

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
Just got some hood insulation clips for my 64 polara and BROKE 2 of them trying to get them in. Seems as though the tits are too big and when you try to squeeze them together, they break. There goes 62 bucks, shipping included, down the drain. Man this pisses me off!! Anyone want 18 non broken pieces?, or tell how to put the damn things in, it's not rocket science. Would the company LAYSONS have any suggestions?

Sometimes you have to take a pair of pliers and squeeze the tangs on the clips just a little bit to make them fit in the holes easier. For some odd reason, the holes for the hood insulation clips are a couple of thousandths bigger on some cars than others. Perhaps this maybe had something to do with the dies used to stamp the holes in the underhood sheetmetal at the factory where the hole sizes changed slightly as the dies became worn.

I tried to squeeze 2 of them and broke both of them. I have a few options, 1, file each clip then test fit, 2, drill all the holes a tad bigger and fit them that way, 3, can the metal parts and go with the later model plastic clips. Gonna have to narrow it down somehow.

I have run into this problem before. Sometimes the part is wrong. Sometimes the body is just a tad off. Sometimes the powder coating/paint, is applied too heavily. (Happens alot). It's all just part of the fun of building cars......

Well, I'll see what the best way to remedy this situation is by have dear old dad take alook at them.

Yeah, I gotta watch what I say.

words

Exspecially when you squeeze them together.....oh the thought..lol

Auto Transport Service
Back