• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Red Top battery too wide ?

cmkryzer

Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
Sorry , but I don't have pictures yet, as I am at work writing this. But I bought a new red top battery from Year One , just got it last night, went to put it in my 67 GTX and was gonna bolt it down with the new hold down I got also. But the hole for the J hook that is in the tray closest to the fender on the driver side is under the battery, so the it does not come straight up and the battery does not sit in the tray right. The tray is the original, its been almost 20 years with no battery in it, so am I missing something? Also the other J hook for the inner side is also to short ?
TIA

Sorry , but I don't have pictures yet, as I am at work writing this. But I bought a new red top battery from Year One , just got it last night, went to put it in my 67 GTX and was gonna bolt it down with the new hold down I got also. But the hole for the J hook that is in the tray closest to the fender on the driver side is under the battery, so the it does not come straight up and the battery does not sit in the tray right. The tray is the original, its been almost 20 years with no battery in it, so am I missing something? Also the other J hook for the inner side is also to short ?
TIA

If it is a red cap,it's a group 27,larger than the group 24 that was original to the car.

TIA
There should be a hole part way up (on the inner wall) that the inner side J hook goes into to.

I thought car could have come with either battery? No ?
67 GTX came from the factory with a red top group 27. Use the short J hook to the fender side and the long one to the engine side.

Thanks all! got it figured out when i got home from work. Last time i had it running , 20 years ago, it had no battery hold down, it was just a bungee cord that was attached to the hole in the bottom of the tray and wrapped over the battery. Sorry, not how i did it , it was that when when we got it. But thanks all for your input on correcting this !!

Auto Transport Service
Back