• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New shop build out coming to life

Wow, what a garage - yes, I have garage envy for sure! :thumbsup:

One thing I put in my garage is a "slop room", almost by accident but it has become such a valuable asset. It is an enclosed space where I do my dirty work, like grinding, spray painting small parts, bead blasting (cabinet), cleaning greasy crap, etc. Mine is very small, and since I never really planned it in advance, I didn't realize how valuable a "slop room" is. I wish it was much bigger.

Anyway, do you have a dedicated, enclosed space for dirty work? I have found that so much of the car hobby is cleaning old, dirty, rusty crap! With an awesome garage like yours and with all that space, a decent "slop room" would be a great asset to keep other areas of the garage cleaner.

Regardless, I am a fan and wish I had even 1/4 of your space!!! :drinks:
Yes and thanks you I have another shop in property that is a 30x 36 that’s for all that work to be had in. Stripping cars sand blasting all dirt work as of now it houses my tractor and dump trailer and all the bid dirty car parts.

New member here that just came across your thread @Jesse6869 . What an awesome shop! I've always said that up here in the Pacific NW, what a guy really needs is an acre with a roof over it. Coincidentally, I just doodled up this 40 x 60 set up similar to yours. I have four 10' x 10' doors down the length and one 10' x 14' at the end. I show a 16' x 40. loft (what you call a mezzanine) at one end like yours. I like @HawkRod 's suggestion for a slop room. I'd love to design this with enclosed lean-to type parking areas down the length that are separate from the shop area but I don't have unlimited funds so I'm trying to get the biggest bang for my buck.

One thing I can say looking at your pics is, Size Matters! You have to be proud of your vision and hard work. I give you an A+!
Thank you keep in mind your loft I should have went 1’ taller my loft is 6’6” tall little low from floor to ground is 17’ to trusses go 18’ if you can so head room does not feel to short that why I’m keeping ceiling open. I get more use at the single door then the 2 doubles on same side. You drawing looks good. Are you pulling separate service?

Thank you keep in mind your loft I should have went 1’ taller my loft is 6’6” tall little low from floor to ground is 17’ to trusses go 18’ if you can so head room does not feel to short that why I’m keeping ceiling open. I get more use at the single door then the 2 doubles on same side. You drawing looks good. Are you pulling separate service?

Well, I'm 5'5" so I wouldn't be banging my head. Good advice though. The kits I'm looking at have 15' and 17' eave options. I'll fine tune this if I pull the trigger.

I have two 200-amp panels in my house and had a third 200-amp service for a manufactured home that I removed from the property. I should be able to use that one for my new shop as well as my barn. I'm really just at the dream stage right now.

Pictures of mezzanine still need hand rails to complete and lay carpet and picture frame windows all small things. All the boxes is my small parts collection.
IMG_2152.jpeg
IMG_2151.jpeg

Nice! I just put one window on my drawing up in my loft by the top of the stairs thinking that I'd probably have shelves and stuff against the walls, but I'm a huge fan of natural light and the ability to see out (and return fire). Also nice for the man cave. I see the couch in there. Big screen and pool table to come!

Yes I’m also adding shelves one bay per car. I added more windows to look at all directions but not to close to each other. Pool table was in the plans that the idea of going big on floor joist, could be future living quarters. I just didn’t want to say I should have do I planed got it all.

I constructed a portable mezzanine for a restoration project and it really helped with storage. I used screws to ease disassembly. Not nearly as nice as a walkup but, I haven't built my dream shop yet. I have 12' ceilings.
Mike
IMG_1657.JPG

Well, I'm 5'5" so I wouldn't be banging my head. Good advice though. The kits I'm looking at have 15' and 17' eave options. I'll fine tune this if I pull the trigger.

I have two 200-amp panels in my house and had a third 200-amp service for a manufactured home that I removed from the property. I should be able to use that one for my new shop as well as my barn. I'm really just at the dream stage right now.
My ceiling’s are 15’ and my shop is a 30x56. I couldn’t Imagine going taller for a shop but my buddy just built an all metal 20’ ceiling shop lol. I haven’t started the insulation yet but it’s coming after I finish my car. I built my shop myself and for me that was hell of an accomplishment. I would have went wider but I live on a hillside. I plan on only making a 16x15 loft and below a little man cave. My dad has a 20x40 loft and he doesn’t even have a 1/4 of it filled. Im going 7’ on the loft. I also plan on building a 20x30 lean to on the back, enclosed, to put my tractor, attachments, side by side and lawnmower in. I’ve got a 24x24 attached garage at the house the wife put her cars in lol. 200 amp service will be perfect, that’s what I have.

Why don't I see more bathrooms in these shops?
Mike
He Probably hasn’t got to it yet but bathrooms my ***. Im putting a shower and everything In mine. Helps when you have plumbing skills and the equipment to install it.

Why don't I see more bathrooms in these shops?
Mike
I have a full bathroom set up that I had dug a plumbing all underground pipes that’s the room under mezzanine right hand corner. That has full shower 5x8 bathroom. That I will start feeding hot water and plumbing to. I’m tired of walking all way to the house to do my paperwork ;) . You need that bathroom incase wife kicks me out. You know were I’m going.
IMG_0693.jpeg
IMG_0938.jpeg

I have a full bathroom set up that I had dug a plumbing all underground pipes that’s the room under mezzanine right hand corner. That has full shower 5x8 bathroom. That I will start feeding hot water and plumbing to. I’m tired of walking all way to the house to do my paperwork ;) . You need that bathroom incase wife kicks me out. You know were I’m going. View attachment 1457498View attachment 1457497
You nailed that right on the head with the wife lol I’m also putting in a small weight room and treadmill was the reason for my shower.

Just added another car this morning now I’m just playing around. But did bring car from California.
IMG_2160.jpeg
IMG_2159.jpeg

Coincidentally, I just doodled up this 40 x 60 set up similar to yours. I have four 10' x 10' doors down the length and one 10' x 14' at the end. I show a 16' x 40. loft (what you call a mezzanine) at one end like yours. I like @HawkRod 's suggestion for a slop room. I'd love to design this with enclosed lean-to type parking areas down the length that are separate from the shop area but I don't have unlimited funds so I'm trying to get the biggest bang for my buck.

One thing I can say looking at your pics is, Size Matters! You have to be proud of your vision and hard work. I give you an A+!

View attachment 1456990

My garage is similar in size to your plan, with 4 - 10' x 10' doors. Consider using 32" (vs 48") between the 10 x 10 doors. The 12'-8" between door centerlines will still give a bunch of room between cars, but will give you an additional 4' along one of the 40' walls for stuff (work benches, shelving, cabinets, hoist and engine stand storage....). That's what I did, and would do it again.

So this weekend I made my handrails. Used number #5 rebar cut down sanded and clear coated for the ballast 4x4 for handrails whittled down the edges for the worn look stained to match the post and clear coated it more work then I thought but turned out o look retry good I think.
IMG_2534.jpeg
IMG_2531.jpeg
IMG_2536.jpeg

Yes sir, if there is a next time the wife will be staying home while i am ordering the size of the shop ;)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back