• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie brake question

Ms.Sully

Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Looking for a little guidance. I am bleeding my brakes and all is going well. MC has all fresh fluid, the brake pedal feels good but I'm still getting air from the line (going into hour 2 of the job). Is this normal? Do I keep going until there is no air at all? Thank you!
71 RR manual drum brakes, no booster.

Maybe you're just seeing a little air caught in the bleeder screw itself?
With manual brakes the pedal needs to be very stiff almost right at the top of its travel.
If pumping the pedal doesn't raise the point when it's hard to press that's a good indicator that you've got all the air out.

Yes o air at all. If it is persisting, there prob is a leak some where. Close the bleaders, park it on say concrete and pump the hell out of it it should show a drip. Go from there.

Usually a leak just gives a sinking pedal, not air from the bleeder screw.

Can we assume you are bleeding in the correct sequence?
Mike

Usually a leak just gives a sinking pedal, not air from the bleeder screw.
Agreed but if the bleader is just cracked and air I had this once before a while ago when the pedal is released it sucked in air this case it was from a line on the proportional valve. Really weird.

Can we assume you are bleeding in the correct sequence?
Mike
My sequence would be passenger rear, driver rear, pass front, driver front. Pass rear has no air coming from it. Driver rear seems to be full of air. The brakes are soft on the first pump but really firm after that and almost no travel. Can't get past the driver rear.

Did you try to Vacuum pump them with say a Mightyvac?

My sequence would be passenger rear, driver rear, pass front, driver front. Pass rear has no air coming from it. Driver rear seems to be full of air. The brakes are soft on the first pump but really firm after that and almost no travel. Can't get past the driver rear.
Does that mean you haven't bled either front side yet? If not do it and then go back to the correct sequence. Remember to not let the master go empty while bleeding.
Mike

Weird. It has to be sucking air from some where. soft petal first pump then hard?

If it was it would have fluid coming out. Just one wheel with air?

Also any wet spot coming from the back of the master cyl?

Possibly two things to check: Might be air trapped in the MC needing a bleed. MC air here won’t bleed out otherwise. Other thing is inspect the T-block and hose on top of the axle. These can get gummed up with grease/dirt if they’ve not been ever cleaned or replaced. Old rubber lines can deteriorate ballooning or collapsing under pressure.

Yeah I got a vacuum pump because I expected to do this by myself and was told that would make it easier.
With vacuum bleeding you may be pulling in air past the wheel cyl seals. I would Crack a beer and do a thorough gravity bleed. Also having all the shoes adjusted tight will help with a good pedal.

Also any wet spot coming from the back of the master cyl?
Nope. MC looks dry. Just got to the front brakes and the passenger side is not draining even with the vacuum pump. I was able to get fluid when pumping the brakes but now they are at the floor. I'm sure that means I need to start over, right?

Quick update no fluid leaks from front pass or driver side when I open the bleeders. It is almost as if there is a blockage somewhere. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hate to say this stary cracking the fittings that go to that brake ad where it slows down behind it is a issue. Was there ever dot 5 fluid added to it that you know?

Hate to say this stary cracking the fittings that go to that brake ad where it slows down behind it is a issue. Was there ever dot 5 fluid added to it that you know?
No DOT 5 that I am aware of. I think the hoses are shot that run between the metal line and drums. Ordered replacement pieces so now I wait. I really appreciate all the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back