• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie looking to start a project!

DudeBroDerk

Local time
8:09 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Newbie here!
So im looking to find my dream car, i would love a 1971 or 72 satellite sebring to start as a project. i found one and i did make another forum for it but i recieved some feedback stating that i could find something better. im only 27 going on 28 in september so i have some time of course! im not wanting to purchase something fully done because i want to make it my own. posting pics of the one i found, im betting i could get the one pictured for around 1200$ give or take but if i can find something better for a little more that would be amazing! im not rich by any means and i literally just purchased a home! i live in western iowa and am willing to travel some if the oportunity arises.

BFCDEFF7-82F1-419B-845F-D86E36517BFE.jpeg

CFFEE52B-2B24-4A43-B9D8-7CEFC66152E3.jpeg

60C4C0C8-E0BA-4D8D-9523-BCEDEAF376F5.jpeg

FF815EB0-5671-4911-9657-B8D0A6023751.jpeg

15566DE4-3669-4CBB-A8CF-907F87727CCD.jpeg

4BF2478B-E5F2-4F42-B8B8-27ECBC216AC0.jpeg

9DCD08BB-01EC-4D3A-8075-36A23847B323.jpeg

0C99ED60-DC94-4FA2-85D4-31C63548B269.jpeg

0E4AD941-D0CC-4FF8-B886-2FDE360ACC8B.jpeg

Dude welcome to the site and take your time in finding the one you want. The rust on the car scares me just saying. Get a solid roller and go from there.
1660348533654.png

welcome to FBBO also good luck with your search

Welcome to the mopar world and the site from the great white north of Canada!

Take the advice of everyone here, for most have gone through it...myself included...that you may seem like you are saving money on a beat up rusty neglected car, but you most definitely are not! The cost of metal and body work will have you sunk deep into financial distress in no time, and then you still have the rest of the car to restore...drive train, interior, suspension etc. It is always cheaper to buy a finished car!

Now if you have the fabricating skills and can do metal and body work then that is a totally different scenario, but I assume your like most of us and have basic mechanical skills.

Welcome from Fredericksburg, VA. That is a massive restoration project you are staring at. I know full well because my first project was an A-body about like that. There should be some better starting points out there than that car unless you can get it for next to nothing. But be prepared to spend big to bring that thing to life.

Thanks for all the info everyone! I may hold off on it for now. We will see! Do you guys think that even at 1000-1200$ that’s just too much for something like this? If anyone happens to find a solid roller 71-72 I would be extremely interested!

Welcome from Illinois! IMHO, that one needs to go to bare shell and then have lots & lots & lots of time and money lavished on it. Be patient, save up your money and find something better.

Welcome, you’re getting some pretty sound advise. Take your time and get a solid car to work on.

North
36701377555_0d44590ae4_b.jpg

Thanks for introducing yourself :thumbsup:
Find a driver car so you can enjoy it while you make it your own !
Like I said in your other thread there are a lot of members here that give great advice.

Last edited:
Welcome from the South and do continue to search till you find THE one, don't settle for less.....Good luck:thumbsup:

Welcome to FBBO from western NY! Sounds like you’ve developed some great taste in classics already. However taking on something that far gone can make your first experience at restoring a classic very disheartening. You can be upside down in time and money sooner than you may think. Even something that has been partially restored can be a great start, and well worth the investment when you find the right one. Don’t rush it. The right one is out there for you. Be patient. You’ll be thankful you were.

I suggest that you hold back also. If you had a dream on your first date, and anticipation of getting lucky, how did that go? There have to be better cars out there. That looks like a money pit.
Example. 1967 Charger, absolutely rust free done at an auto body tech school, about 13,500.00 Canadian. In 2018.
I know that the car you are looking would be about 35,000.00-40,000.00 Canadian to be done here.
I suggest look for a nice driver. Not trying to rain on you.
Good luck with your endeavours.

Hello everyone! Newbie here!
So im looking to find my dream car, i would love a 1971 or 72 satellite sebring to start as a project. i found one and i did make another forum for it but i recieved some feedback stating that i could find something better. im only 27 going on 28 in september so i have some time of course! im not wanting to purchase something fully done because i want to make it my own. posting pics of the one i found, im betting i could get the one pictured for around 1200$ give or take but if i can find something better for a little more that would be amazing! im not rich by any means and i literally just purchased a home! i live in western iowa and am willing to travel some if the oportunity arises.

View attachment 1327760

View attachment 1327761

View attachment 1327762

View attachment 1327763

View attachment 1327764

View attachment 1327765

View attachment 1327766

View attachment 1327767

View attachment 1327768
Welcome to the group—-Just remember the Beatles song “Long
winding road”. Prepare for an expensive & frustrating process. You don’t want to be too old to enjoy when you finish.

I'm also a fan of finding the most solid car you can find as your project. It'll be less frustrating especially if you don't have the skills to replace rusted sheet metal like the one in the pictures. Start a wanted ad in the classified section. You never know when something's going to pop up and be the right one. And welcome to the side!

Welcome from Missouri!!

Welcome from the west coast. If you are set on those years of cars, see if you can get that rust bucket for way less than they want. You can harvest the useable pieces off of it for one you find or for barter material. Hardware, brackets, clips, lights etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back