• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

nitrous

Canyon707

Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
I have been thinking about going to nitrous. I looked at several setups but no completely sure of the outcome with this speed drug. I run a 440 with comp cam, jl forged pistons stock crank, elbrock heads and manifold. The car runs 10.9 Just looking for some thoughts on this.

Bottles are for babies. J/k ya. Make sure to upgrade the fuel setup so theres no possibility of going lean,possibly a stand alone fuel system with a low pressure cut off switch for the nitrous and a good timing retard system. Fried motors are no fun.Are you looking at plate or fogger?

Bottles are for babies. J/k ya. Make sure to upgrade the fuel setup so theres no possibility of going lean,possibly a stand alone fuel system with a low pressure cut off switch for the nitrous and a good timing retard system. Fried motors are no fun.Are you looking at plate or fogger?
a plate I was looking to start with a 50 shot. I have two fuel mallory racing pumps on the car right now series 140 (140gph) [FONT=&quot]with this kit you will need a Blue pump just for the NOS
and a Purge will be good too but not a must,
Also a bottle heater will be nice,
and if you would like an auto bottle opener,
And a RPM window switch is a good idea
37 jets for 50 hp shot

Nos kit p/n 02002nos $604.95
purge p/n 16030nos $133.95
pump p/n 12-802-1 $135.92
heater p/n 14164nos $164.95[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Window switch p/n 15982nos $154.95
opener p/n 14168nos $304.95
jets p/n 13760-37nos X 2 $10.27 e[/FONT]

50 shot isn't hardly worth the efforts.....
100hp shot is usually the lower end of the spectrum when nitrous is being considered...

Good luck with the project..

Well thanks for that info. I just didnt want to over due it.

With only a 125 HP system, my junk went from 12.40's to 11.30's.... after about 4 bottles, I fragged the torque converter.... My advice? Make sure your converter will handle all the extra torque.

It's a LOT of fun, and quite addictive. Enjoy the ride, but be aware what kind of load the rest of the drivetrain will endure.

dana 60 with a modified 727 w trans brake motor is 550 hp

Myself I have never used it and dont care to. But my friend uses I believe its a 50 or 75 shot as his Duster runs 10.30's off the bottle and 9.90's on the bottle. Good luck , Ron

The reason to use a purge is you want to have liquid going to the plate.

Just the time between rounds the nos will go to a gas-vapor in the line.

So when you hit the nos you will have a lag where your system will be rich up to 3 seconds depending how much of the nos in the lines turns to a gas-vapor.

I love people who say they will never use nos.
It's only a tool to get more air-fuel into the engine.
Just remember,hp will find your weak link.

Pump Gas Street car runs 10.70's off the juice.
Deep into the 9's once on the juice,not the correct safety equipment.
0102111541.jpg

Having 12 to 1 pistons can that create an issue?

Having 12 to 1 pistons can that create an issue?

Just remember when building HP you have to build around the total HP.
That being said, 12 to 1 is Ok.
Do all the research on NOS.
It only takes 1 mistake to do damage to your engine.

Would it be worth having nos for a street only car?

done correctly,
why not ??

- - - Updated - - -

I love all the people that think it's not worth it,
or it's cheating or something...
But a 50hp kit is hardly worth the expenses of doing it correctly so it will live,
a 125-150hp shot, set up properly, is not all that hard on parts/stuff...
IMHFO It's probably the Easiest & Cheapest way to boost power,
if it's set up correctly...
if not the easiest way to blow one up too. or burn a set of pistons...
N20 is -109* below zero @ 1200psi caring
{super cooled boost in a bottle}
it's own added oxygen & added extra fuel dispersed with separate solenoids,
{preferably a dedicated system all stand alone pump,line & bypass style regulator}
all forced into the combustion camber under high pressure,
easily dropping et's & adding mph's...

I've ran cars with 3 kits, one plate under-carb,
one plumbed into the manifold as a spray bar kit,
one port nozzles at the bottom of the intake, shooting N20 & gas directly at the intake valves...
Any one of the kits could be adjusted up-to 500hp, the nozzle port kit was always on kill, the others were for different parts of the track & different types of track conditions, they all hit in a different ways, some harder or softer than others....

I never blew an engine because of a N20 problem...

But I'd highly suggest, that you need a really good bottom end,
forged components at a minimum
{especially good forged or billet, rods, pistons & crank},
& really good set of head gasket/head seal {I'd highly suggest using studs everywhere},
you need good ring/seals, with enough tension to seal, with the added "boost" bottle pressure
& good tough bearings, a good dedicated fuel system, appropriately sized for what your going to do...

a vacuum pump doesn't hurt either...

I'd highly suggest you have a way to retard the ignition, when the Juice is flowing,
especially anything over about 50hp shot...

there's a ton of electronic controllers & ignition aids/retards etc.,
now that make it pretty simple, plug & play almost...

good luck have fun JUICE HER UP, GO FOR IT

- - - Updated - - -

The reason to use a purge is you want to have liquid going to the plate.

Just the time between rounds the nos will go to a gas-vapor in the line.

So when you hit the nos you will have a lag where your system will be rich up to 3 seconds depending how much of the nos in the lines turns to a gas-vapor.

I love people who say they will never use nos.
It's only a tool to get more air-fuel into the engine.
Just remember,hp will find your weak link.

Pump Gas Street car runs 10.70's off the juice.
Deep into the 9's once on the juice,not the correct safety equipment.
0102111541.jpg

well said,

For a actual street driven car, I went from 9.77 @ 135mph N/A, in my old 68 RR {sold to a friend}
3520#'s with a 300hp shot on my ol'-383/479ci Ported Eddy heads, .600 lift custom roller, 727tf, Turbo Action man. VB, 3800rpm stall would flash to 4200, with 3.73:1 geared {less with 4.10 & 4.30}, with leafs & CalTracs, Capps Tubular front end parts...
It went best of 8.58 @ 156mph on a "non prepped" track Sacramento Raceway 100*+ day test & tune,
on crappy ol' M/T drag radials...
It was docile as hell, I drove it all over Sac. & East Bay area, mild until you hit the skinny peddle & Juice...

It's about the whole combo, not just one part...
That car is still running today some 8-9 years latter, with many a N20 bottle gone thru it...
Just look out for a silver 68 RR, in Roseville area, it's allot faster than it looks like...

I appreicate all that information. the motor is a drag motor with cam, 12 to 1 forged pistons, elbrock performance heads and manifold, the holley 1050 dominator triple valve springs, msd ignition, headers, no belts, roller rockers, comp cam, in southern cal with open exhuast it was running high tens. I had to go with an exhuast system here at Sonoma raceway and the best I have run is 11.1 I want that 10 second run 10.9 would be perfect. thats why I was thinkink a small shot just might do it without over doing it. Maybe theres another way I don't know this is a pretty well built motor from the receipts. I think it has its orginal steel crank. any suggestions besides gas? I run 112 octane but higher is available. Are there any os installers in N.Cal that know what there doing???

all more than doing a N20 kit probably

Sorry nobody I'd really feel comfortable to recommend,
I've always done my own stuff....

Super/Street 10.90 bracket/Class, I assume...

Just do your research, talk to people you trust, if you want to go the N20 route...
you can always run it a little fat {extra 1/2 psi or so of fuel pressure} it won't hurt anything except plugs really, maybe the rings in the long run...

can you get more out of your current heads ??
better professional porting
{probably single biggest place to make improvements on a BB Wedge},
bigger & lighter valves {titanium valves & retainers},
more rocker ratio,
maybe a weather station & learn how to use it, for track day tuning etc.
maybe port the intake & do some carb tricks, forced cool air etc.

Is there anywhere you can lighten you car even more, especially in the drivetrain, it's all about power to weight & your not that far off now...

fiberglass {or carbon fiber if you are bucks up}, lighter seats & mounts, fiberglass bumpers {alum. fab bumper mounts}, doors, trunk lid, hood, lighter rims/tires, alum. driveshaft, dash or gauges, interior stuff, creature comfort removed, maybe drill holes/holesaw in areas that aren't structural or that are hidden, aluminum replacing steel parts, titanium bolts, lighter fittings & hoses, lighter shocks suspension components, tubular control arms & K-frame, ladders or 4 link instead of leafs, aluminum carrier, drilled axles & fluted axle flanges, lighter brakes, smaller cell mounted closer, Lexan windows, remove window regulators, unnecessary wires, etc., just remove everything that isn't absolutely necessary... especially un-sprung or reciprocating

put the old girl on a diet

you'd be surprised what some weight loss, if you have any areas left, how it can/will do for ET's

more than one way to skin a cat...
think outside the box, it all seems to cost money thou...

good luck

Interesting you mention the above items and yes its done. fiberglass doors, hood, fenders, lights removed interior completey removed, aluminum dash, 4 link suspension lexan windows, one race seat, window net, roll bar. I just bought and installed a turbo shifter with the air setup. shifting at 6000 rpm 1st and 2nd 2 step launch control at 4000 rpm with trans break. This may be the deal I am hoping for since the older shifter was a bit awalkward. Going to test it this Wed. night at the track. Rear fenders are tubbed. 5 gal tank in trunk, and two batteries, elect water pump two Mallory series 140 fuel pumps. You can see an interior picture. Just put it up.

Last edited:
The only issue I have with NOS is it only lasts till the bottle runs out, and refills can add up pretty quick depending on how much you use. The guys who race with it usually carry several extra bottles in case they go several rounds at the track.

Nitrous is probably one of the cheapest ways to go faster and if you are trying to go from 11.1 to 10.9 75 HP would probably do it. As long as u take the time to set it up correctly to make sure you don't lean out, so make sure u got good fuel pressure to your fuel solenoid put a purge solenoid in to get air out of line plus it looks cool :) you'll be good to go I think. Usually when you hear people complain about Nos it is because they didn't do it right like retard timing 2 degrees for every 50hp, didn't use forged pistons, right head gasket or gap the rings

Well I have the forged pistions but not even sure what gap the rings would be?? or how critical it is. The right head gasket?

When I set my ring gap "File fit rings" I followed the charts provided by the ring manufacture "Hasting Racing Rings". They are gaped further open for nitrous use... I figured it was somewhere in my future too :)

Auto Transport Service
Back