• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Normal cooling temp

Most people compare the old stock engine temp to their new built stroker and say “before the the rebuild it ran at _____”. Your rebuilt engine has better stuff, more aggressive cam/springs, etc., it’s gonna run a bit warmer, plus the older radiators aren’t as efficient as the newer stuff.

Comparing my factory 67 gauge to the point and shoot gun I found on mine that the lettering/word
{Temperature} on the bottom of the gauge the second T was 200*

I was pointing the gun dot right at the base of the sender in the pump housing.

I think the factory gauges are greatly dampened to prevent the average driver from freaking out when it moves. They are also very inaccurate. Their main purpose is to tell you when you are in (or approaching) trouble. There is nothing like an aftermarket, under dash mechanical gauge if you want to know what's REALLY happening.

My dash gauge was telling the story consistent with the laser. Now on to find more fixes to lower the temp..

When I put MSD atomic on my 383 I added a probe for the MSD. My original gauge and sender are surprisingly accurate compared to the Digital display.

My car,
4 speed
original 26" radiator (clean)
Shroud & clutch fan
new 180* thermostat (tested)
50/50 coolant
one bottle LUCAS coolant additive
Ambient temp= 105*
In town normal driving
Running temp= 195*

Auto Transport Service
Back