• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a B Body, but an AMC Gremlin....

I have owned 4 Jeeps with the 4.0 engines. I think those are even with, or surpassing, the reputation of the Mopar Leaning Tower of Power for reliability.
The engine was great till Chrysler got hold of it. Chrysler in late fall of 93, early 94 started messing with the engine by lighting it up by shortening the piston skirts and causing piston slap. At start up it sounded a little like a diesel. They caught it early and those made in that time frame were replaced or the owner was compensated for the inconvenience. The engine was not defective, just noisy and customers were concerned about longevity. I was one that got a phone call one night from the Ohio plant about it. I thought it was a prank at first, but it was for real. I suggested an extended warranty and was give a hundred thousand bumper to bumper warranty. I drove it for hundred thousand miles and sold it to a friend for his sixteen years old son, new driver. He drove it to well over a 150 thousand, never a problem. The moral of this story is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! You may try to find this problem on the internet and over the years others have claimed to have had a problem with other years. The engineers told me, on the phone, for a fact it was just a few thousand built in the time frame I mentioned. I worked at Chrysler and my plant manager tracked it down for me and yes, it was a fact. Fun fact!!

Growing up in Kenosha (home of AMC headquarters) there were Gremlins, Javelins, AMX’s everywhere. My buddy had a Gremlin with a hot 390 that was stupid fast. My first car was a ‘68 Javelin with a 343 & 4sp. Here’s a pic of the current project that I’m working on for a friend, ‘69 Javelin with a 401 & 727 auto transplant.

CE12676A-BB89-4BAF-A7B7-D5DF049B4860.jpeg

I have always had a soft spot for AMC. I have always liked Gremlins. Being America, you have thought that it would still be a top car company today. However, not with what they designed. I would love to own a Rebel, AMX, Gremlin X, Rambler Scrambler or even a Marlin someday.

Fastest car in town was a Rambler Scrambler in the day.. Had a pig in a PO leece uniform painted on the doors with the words " cop bait".....

I always thought it would have been great if the AMX3 went into production. I think there are five or six in existence, running cars. They were fairly good at handling with a mid engine 390 (same as the AMX/Javelin engine) and although an AMC design were to be built in Germany by Karmann. Slated for 1971, with upcoming emission controls and large safety bumpers on the horizon, they ended up getting cancelled. AMC wanted to compete with the De Tomaso Pantera that Mercury was marketing.
View attachment 1236775
or

69 AMC AMX-2 Concept #1.jpg

69 AMC AMX-2 Concept #2.jpg

or

68 AMC AMX-GT Concept #1.jpg

or the yellow one done in 1969
redone in REd & a few changes in 1970 IIRC
70 AMC AMX-3 Prototype 390ci-340hp #1.jpg

70 AMC AMX-3 Prototype 390ci-340hp #4.jpg

70 AMC AMX-3 Prototype 390ci-340hp #3.jpg

70 AMC AMX-3 Prototype 390ci-340hp #2.jpg

70 AMC AMX-3 Prototype 390ci-340hp #2.jpg

70 AMC AMX-3 Prototype 390ci-340hp #5.jpg

in yellow 1969
70 AMC AMX-3 Prototype 390ci-340hp #6 yellow.jpg

on the AMX/3's whereabouts

I found this quickly & easily on Bing

I had a 74. One of one. Tan with an orange door. Smash the door, go to the junk yard and get another for $25. Those were the days.:lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back